Is WRT1900AC v1 stable using DD-WRT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
QuadraQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 18:14    Post subject: Is WRT1900AC v1 stable using DD-WRT? Reply with quote
I'm looking for an new router that supports AC and has a powerful processor for good reliability and speed, that also runs well using DD-WRT. I have been a DD-WRT user for years, but lately I believe the increasing network load in my household is causing problems for my current router (can't remember the model name number off the top of my head - sorry) and I have to restart it several times a week.

The Linksys WRT1900AC v1 router looks like a worthwhile upgrade, but since the Router Database shows it as supported, but only using a beta build (and there seems to be a bunch of newer beta builds in this forum) I'm concerned about it's stability.

Are the supported beta builds stable enough for regular use? Any known bugs or issues I should be aware of? Thank you for your help.
Sponsor
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
How's this for stable? Cool Very Happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shortly - No
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
He asked two questions. To which is the answer "shortly, no"?
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I consider latest two builds as not stable enough and quite buggy
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well they're bleeding edge builds.

The beta build in the database is stable, as are several older builds.

I'm running Kong's r28320 and barring an upgrade to a newer firmware, I'll be at 3 months uptime before too long.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
hyppo wrote:

hyppo, The 28788 release too that just came out today?

New build: DD-WRT v3.0 --- 28788 --- 2016/01/13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would anybody load a build that just came out today if they're interested in stability?

You're just asking for trouble.

Kong's builds are tested on the specific hardware. Download from here and be done with it:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:

I'm running Kong's r28320 and barring an upgrade to a newer firmware, I'll be at 3 months uptime before too long.

Thank you for the reply. That is the kind of stability I'm looking for. With my current router I used to leave it running for months without any need of a restart, but since we moved, and more network devices have been added, it seems to struggle.

Would I flash using the .img file in the database and then upgrade to the Kong r28320 build via the web interface?

BTW I don't really care about the USB/eSATA features at this point. I want speed and stability for the ethernet ports and wifi.
hyppo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
marksanctuary wrote:
hyppo wrote:

hyppo, The 28788 release too that just came out today?

New build: DD-WRT v3.0 --- 28788 --- 2016/01/13

No, sorry, I mean 28575 and 28675

The most reliable and predictable firmware for me is still Linksys official Ver.1.1.10.167514

Also, speed (not ping) on 5GHz mobile devices was a little better on DDWRT than on official
BatJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
hyppo wrote:

The most reliable and predictable firmware for me is still Linksys official Ver.1.1.10.167514

Also, speed (not ping) on 5GHz mobile devices was a little better on DDWRT than on official

Then use the official? It is also quite out of date. Linksys seems to be not very interested in supporting the router officially.

The most common complaint I've seen is about high pings, but I have not seen this with my devices with 28628.

DD-WRT for me is very close to Linksys stock, perhaps a bit faster, but what I like is the more informative interface.
marksanctuary
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe,
I do agree the official release is going to be more stable than the ongoing beta test releases, because there was a buildup of testing that lead to that official release. But what I am really trying to understand better and because I saw BrainSlayer's post this...

BrainSlayer wrote:
why do people still think there is a difference between kong builds and official builds. there is no difference. he is commiting all changed to our official source
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1002034&highlight=#1002034

Is there really much difference with Kong's builds?

I thought Kong's builds are just his own settings he wants to test before BrainSlayer does another release. If I understand the repository method correctly the only time Kong's would be different than BrainSlayer's builds would be the time in-between "Kong build date" -> "BrainSlayer build date" otherwise after that Kong's changes are included in BrainSlayer's release.

Last edited by marksanctuary on Wed Jan 13, 2016 23:03; edited 1 time in total
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
QuadraQ wrote:
htismaqe wrote:

Thank you for the reply. That is the kind of stability I'm looking for. With my current router I used to leave it running for months without any need of a restart, but since we moved, and more network devices have been added, it seems to struggle.

Would I flash using the .img file in the database and then upgrade to the Kong r28320 build via the web interface?

BTW I don't really care about the USB/eSATA features at this point. I want speed and stability for the ethernet ports and wifi.

Yes, the .IMG file is the one you want to use.

I don't use USB/eSATA either (although I've tested them quite a bit) and for me, DD-WRT has been a God-send.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
BatJoe wrote:
hyppo wrote:

Then use the official? It is also quite out of date. Linksys seems to be not very interested in supporting the router officially.

The most common complaint I've seen is about high pings, but I have not seen this with my devices with 28628.

DD-WRT for me is very close to Linksys stock, perhaps a bit faster, but what I like is the more informative interface.

+1

I had no issues with stability on stock. I had almost 40 days of uptime twice with it.

The issue is that they're not updating it anymore. The Network Map is still a buggy mess and the guest network implementation is awful. Sometimes AirPrint would stop working for a few minutes without any real explanation. I've talked to them several times and they just don't seem interested in doing anything more with the platform than what it does right now.

One of my biggest beefs with stock was the GUI in regards to DHCP reservations. Impossible to keep organized, HTML bugs with Safari, reboots required when changing non-runtime settings. I use DHCP reservations a lot and Linksys' implementation was ALMOST as bad as Netgear's, which is saying a lot.

For me, DD-WRT is every bit as stable as stock, and probably more so now. The 2,4Ghz range is a little less than stock (probably due to the driver) but the range and performance on 5Ghz is superior to stock, by quite a little bit actually (~15-20%).

The interface, as you said, is diagnostic-friendly. I can't even really compare it to stock because stock had no diagnostic tools at all, zero. And finally, managing DHCP reservations in DD-WRT is a freaking snap. Piece of cake.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
Yes, the .IMG file is the one you want to use.

I don't use USB/eSATA either (although I've tested them quite a bit) and for me, DD-WRT has been a God-send.
QuadraQ wrote:
htismaqe wrote:

Our setups seem similar. I have a 16-port Trendnet TEG-S16DG doing my primary switching in the data closet and another couple of 8-port TEG-S82g switches in the house. Does this router run hot? My data closet doesn't have the greatest ventilation.

Last edited by QuadraQ on Wed Jan 13, 2016 22:44; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: