Netgear R6700 v3 Slow as hell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cyber.shifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39    Post subject: Netgear R6700 v3 Slow as hell Reply with quote
Good Evening!

I previous posted about getting DD-WRT installed to this router. I finally got it working, but it's hard to call it ideal. First, some facts:

Netgear R6700 V3
Kong firmware (v3.0-r40270M)

Everything is working right as far as the networks that were set up, etc. My only beef is I go from almost 400 Mbps, to barely doing 70. Plus, I'm only getting about 20 Mbps to begin with on upload, and that pretty much just goes away when I connect the router. I'm not doing anything terribly fancy with QoS or anything. I have that turned off. I left the SPI firewall on because I figured with just one client it shouldn't be terrible. The CPU regularly shows a few percent, so it's not pegged at all. I have to admit, I'm fairly new to this DD-WRT, so I'm not sure where to start looking. Any clues could be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is SFE turned on under Setup->Basic Setup (index.asp) page? Are you using it as a wired AP in router mode or in wireless client mode as gateway or wired client as gateway, ... what are the exact configuration details?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router, without SFE almost 300 Mb/s with SFE almost 600 Mb/s. Wired wan<>lan throughput, basic setup, one client.

I am using build 42460 but have used your build also.

Have a look at my signature at the bottom of this page for an install guide (R6400v2), take note of the resetting to defaults

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
cyber.shifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Is SFE turned on under Setup->Basic Setup (index.asp) page? Are you using it as a wired AP in router mode or in wireless client mode as gateway or wired client as gateway, ... what are the exact configuration details?

My apologies for not getting back very quickly. Super busy day at work, and after. I do not have shortcut forwarding engine turned on. I'm using the unit as a router as well as an access point. I have network on each wifi radio, and a virtual AP on the 2.4 radio. It was previously fine, when I first got it working. It's been working for a couple weeks now or so I guess. But I recently notice that my VPN sessions for work have been getting quite slow here at home. So I did a speedtest, wired into the router directly. When I test directly plugged into the modem, it's what I'm supposed to be getting, compared to the 8-50 Mbps that I see now.

I will read through the install guide now as well.
cyber.shifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
I have the same router, without SFE almost 300 Mb/s with SFE almost 600 Mb/s. Wired wan<>lan throughput, basic setup, one client.

Have a look at my signature at the bottom of this page for an install guide (R6400v2), take note of the resetting to defaults

This is the guide I followed to install actually, I recognize it. Are you saying I should follow the part to reset to defaults? It's fairly new, I'm just curious what the logic is.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so are the slow speeds over VPN? You are not going to get crazy fast throughput over a VPN link.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
cyber.shifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Ok, so are the slow speeds over VPN? You are not going to get crazy fast throughput over a VPN link.

Oh! No! Sorry for the confusion. Noticing the VPN being slow made me conduct the testing. I tested with my own personal computer, wired into the router directly. Also, even with VPN, I wouldn't expect to see a drop from 350 Mbps, to 8 Mbps. I worked over VPN a lot, it's not that much of a difference.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyber.shifter wrote:
egc wrote:

This is the guide I followed to install actually, I recognize it. Are you saying I should follow the part to reset to defaults? It's fairly new, I'm just curious what the logic is.

Yes consider resetting to defaults and put settings in manually do not restore from a backup.
Best way from CLI/Putty:
nvram erase && reboot

This router is used a lot and you are the only one with this kind of problems. So it must be something specific in your setup

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
cyber.shifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

Yes consider resetting to defaults and put settings in manually do not restore from a backup.
Best way from CLI/Putty:
nvram erase && reboot

This router is used a lot and you are the only one with this kind of problems. So it must be something specific in your setup

Cool. I'll give it a shot. It's possible something is a little screwy because I was new to this iteration of DD-WRT, and also didn't realize some stuff about how the netgear does the default internal networking. But I learned! It was just rough to get started. I should be able to reconfigure everything right. I'm not sure why it would does this over time and get worse, but worth a shot. I'll report back.
Abboo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may look at the vpn setup under 'Encryption Cipher' and set it to AES-256 GCM and not AES-256CBC. "GCM" is more efficient with recent builds
cyber.shifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Best way from CLI/Putty:
nvram erase && reboot

Ok, so I did this. The only thing I put back was the local IP, mask, the start IP for the DHCP, Static DNS (OpenDNS), and the NTP Settings. I also put back the same wireless settings, but I'm staying plugged in until I solve this, so wireless is out of the equation. When I do the standard speedtest.net thing, I'm getting a little better speed down than before (120 Mbps compared to 78 Mbps) but my upload is still in the tank. MAYBE half a mbps versus the 20 Mbps I normally get. So now I'm at a loss, because I just figured I screwed something up with the original config.

Maybe worth noting I created a virtual AP as well? But I'm not on wireless, and my radio is turned off while I troubleshoot.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Abboo wrote:
You may look at the vpn setup under 'Encryption Cipher' and set it to AES-256 GCM and not AES-256CBC. "GCM" is more efficient with recent builds

do keep in mind regarding VPN speeds AES-256 GCM is twice as bad than AES-128 GCM ....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
cyber.shifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's leave VPN out of the equation here for now. I wasn't testing with my work computer, I was testing with mine, which doesn't use VPN. The VPN for the work computer is all done through software on the computer as well, so it's not relevant to this discussion. I've had a lot going on lately, all things considered, but this is still a problem.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is difficult to diagnose, maybe just a bad cable,
The build you are using is already somewhat old but that should not be a problem

So if you resetted to defaults have one client cabled to the router and the router cabled from WAN to internet and you have those low speed either you router is broken or you cables or ?

There is no setting, it should just work (well you have the Shortcut forwarding Engine SFE but even without that turned on you should do over 250 Mb/s, note it is Mb/s and not MB/s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: