Asus RT-AC88U AC3100

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Thorvald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I agree the 30/30/30 stuff seems a tad much but it's posted all over the wiki and forum so good luck exorcising that ghost lol.

---

Some further updates (running the Jan 19 beta):

- For some reason cannot have the same SSID password on both WLAN's. Will try again today after a reboot to see if it lets me do this.
- WL1 (5 Ghz) Wlan settings disappeared from the web management interface, could only see WL0. Had to reboot the router to get it back
- Reboots bring up the Asus firmware management interface first and then eventually bring up DD-WRT.
- Many screens where you have to entire parameters (firewall port forwarding etc) won't show the text you enter if you hit Save, you have to hit Apply settings and then they save. Researched this one a bit and apepars to be a common issue with DDWRT on multiple routers.
- Telnet CLI does not work with the username and password you create in the beginning. You have to use login root and the password you created. Likely not specific to the AC3100 but firmware.

On the positive side:

- Was able to get the USB port on the rear working and shared via SAMBA.

Also noticed that for some reason my AC3100 only has a 4 port switch, not the full 8 that other websites show. Not a big deal as I don't use the internal switch but just something for others to watch when purchasing this router.
Sponsor
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does that latest dd-wrt beta running on the rt-ac88u enable the MU-MIMO features within its chipset?

Thanks

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Thorvald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing specifically titled MIMO that I can find but two options for Beam Forming exist:

Explicit Beamforming
Implicit Beamforming

Have to dig up how they work though.
Thorvald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I had enough of the terribly wifi signal and other strangeness. Wanted to go back to stock for a week or two to ensure its not simply the router and then try ddwrt again.

However for the life of me this router will not go into recovery mode nor do any method of reset I've found get rid of ddwrt. Holding reset as per the manual or as per threads on here have no effect. Power LED never flashes and router never goes into recovery mode.

Now when ddwrt comes up it is back to defaults but also back to the no LAN ports enabled. Have to connect via wifi.

Word of warning to anyone that wants to try this firmware...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you just try to upload the Asus firmware through the dd-wrt upgrade tab?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, seems to progress fine and then reboots ... but back into DD WRT with factory defaults.

Going to try a slightly older ASUS stock firmware from their website and try again... strange stuff.

Weird that the recovery can't be entered (no slow power led flash) nor can hard reset flash the power led once when holding WPS.

But each time if I leave it long enough DD WRT comes up just fine. Really wants to be in there Smile
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to make sure. On Asus routers to get into recovery, unplug the router, hold the rest button in while plugging the power in. Once the power led flashes, let go and navigate to 192.168.1.1 in your browser
Or you could try the firmware restoration tool.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, tried older Asus firmware uploading through DDWRT, still reboots (after quite a while) back into DDWRT.

For some reason holding the reset and applying power, I never see the power LED flash. I've held it for over 1 minute and no different.

I'm keeping at it.
Thorvald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally tried the telnet console and used the commands:

erase nvram
reboot

This finally brought the LAN interface back alive! So I tried the power off/on with reset held down and while running a ping test I saw a response right after letting go of the reset (held for 10 seconds).

The power LED never did flicker and the 192.168.1.1 firmware webpage didn't work but the ASUS firmware recovery utility did, it found the unit and started to flash the default firmware.

Once completed it stated "Failed to recover the system", unit rebooted and LAN is still good.

Browse to 192.168.1.1 and sure enough, DDWRT is STILL THERE. Wow persistent lol.

Went back into DDWRT, set password and then used the admin util to reboot. This time left webpage alone and sure enough the ASUS CFE webpage appeared!

Tried to flash through here but it only got a short ways along before the webpage reported unavailable and damn DDWRT loaded up....GRRRR. (it only gets to 11%).

Looks like it is not giving the CFE webpage enough time to finish before jumping to normal boot.

Trying again...
Thorvald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still no luck. So I tried using the GUI to switch from Jan 13 DDWRT to Jan 16 DDWRT. Worked perfectly.

Tried using this to revert to stock, still no go. And lost LAN again. Two NVRAM resets and finally LAN back (WAN always stays up).

I can get the ASUS CFE Firmware page randomly but it never lets it finish uploading.

Sometimes can get ASUS Recovert utility to work and using Wireshark I can see that it is a simple TFTP program and it uploads fine and then gets that failed message. Router then reboots... back into DDWRT!

Jesus this thing is a like a Virus that is a pain to remove.

Trying Jan 2 2016 beta now... that worked, now running Jan 2 so flashing between DDWRT versions is working fine.

Tried to upload ASUS stock firmware via the Jan 2 firmware now.
Thorvald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally some different progress.

I assumed that since the only LED that DDWRT lets work is the power LED that most of the basic features of the CFE Boot / recovery firmware are broken too.

So I pulled the power, held rear WPS for 10 seconds, applied power and waited 10 seconds then released (normally you would have expected an LED to flash).

Then I pulled power, held reset for 10 seconds, applied power and waited 10 seconds then released (again normally you would have slow flash power led).

Then I waited for a ping to 192.168.1.1 to reply and jumped right on the restore util, it started and this time got to "System recovery Phase"!!

And that got to 100%, LONG reboot pause and finally all LEDs working normally.

Checked default IP and ASUS firmware is restored... WHEW!

---

I think it will be a cold day in Hell before I try DD-WRT on a $500 router again. I'll pickup a cheap old WRG or Linksys and experiment on it lol.
MarcoKohler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had exactly the same problem. Since I'm back to the original Firmware, Port 5-8 on the Router doesn't work anymore.

In the syslog:
kernel: rtl8365mbrtl8365mb initialized(14)(retry:10) failed
kernel: rtk port_phyEnableAll Failed!(15)
kernel: rtk port_macForceLink_set ext_Port0 Failed!(15)

Sad

Best, Marco
lirathal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 22:56    Post subject: Mind Blowing Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I was looking for a new router and was looking through the hardware specs vs. pricing and found this was the best bet for your money. It's exactly the same as the RT-AC5300 minus 1x5GHz channel and I get a second switch (ports 5 through Cool beyond that they are the same Processor, RAM, ROM and I was really impressed with the pricing. So I came to ensure that it had some compatibility with dd-wrt and it did so that what sold me. when I got it installed I was just blown away as far as speeds were concerned but what really impressed me was the amount of connections it could handle before starting to lag. Well I haven't even seen it lagging yet so I haven't pushed it hard enough! Just a great piece of hardware that unfortunately is not getting enough love.

I know there are some bugs right now and hopefully they get worked out ... but I still am in love with the product.
eric777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 19:10    Post subject: which version have you tested Reply with quote
I have found that the latest fw is
/betas/2016/02-23-2016-r29147/
But it does not work for me for wireless security.
WHich ones work for you?
eric777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 22:50    Post subject: work around found Reply with quote
When security is set to none, it seems to work. So I enabled mac-filtering. It better than nothing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: