WRT1900ACS V2 - Firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
BigCalhoun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I'm currently using davidc502's LEDE build. There is a kong build with the latest WiFi driver; that should also work 1900ACS v2.
Sponsor
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigCalhoun wrote:
Yes, I'm currently using davidc502's LEDE build. There is a kong build with the latest WiFi driver; that should also work 1900ACS v2.

@BigCalhoun
Thanks for the Kong info. I glanced at his site today and saw the 24 in the date and figured no change as his older build was also 24. Embarassed Reading closer I see it is today. I have also been running davidc502's LEDE build on my wrt1900ac v1 without issue, but am always trying the latest so will install Kong's latest sometime today. So far for me I have had better performance with davidc502's builds then with any DD-WRT. Brainslayer's latest, 30432, came really close though so things are getting better.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
hshs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
BigCalhoun wrote:

@BigCalhoun
Thanks for the Kong info. I glanced at his site today and saw the 24 in the date and figured no change as his older build was also 24. Embarassed Reading closer I see it is today. I have also been running davidc502's LEDE build on my wrt1900ac v1 without issue, but am always trying the latest so will install Kong's latest sometime today. So far for me I have had better performance with davidc502's builds then with any DD-WRT. Brainslayer's latest, 30432, came really close though so things are getting better.

--bill

Waiting for your performance data for Kong's build, bill.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
hshs wrote:

Here ya go, from another post.
I just installed Kong's r30465M build. Running well so far. I normally run a iperf test between a 5GHz wireless client, on other side of wall, about 10 feet away from router to 1 gig Ethernet attached Linux box. Linux box plugged into router of course. This build is slower then latest Brainslayer build, 30432, and Openwrt/LEDE build that davidc502 creates.
Kong's latest
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 159 MBytes 133 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 159 MBytes 133 Mbits/sec receiver

Brainslayer 30432
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 195 MBytes 163 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 195 MBytes 163 Mbits/sec receiver

davidc502 dated 8/13/2016 wireless version WiFi driver 10.3.0.18-20160804
[ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 214 MBytes 180 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 214 MBytes 180 Mbits/sec receiver

As you can see this build is slower for me then the other 2. Kong and Brainslayer builds have always been slower for me the Openwrt/LEDE for what ever reason. Same version of driver for davidc502 and Brainslayer and Brainslayer came close. Something to do with the -1 version of the wireless driver? Probably not, but who knows.

As a FYI I did reinstall Brainslayer's 30432. Bugged me that Kong was slower. Had no reason not to use 30432.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
hshs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
hshs wrote:

Here ya go, from another post.
I just installed Kong's r30465M build. Running well so far. I normally run a iperf test between a 5GHz wireless client, on other side of wall, about 10 feet away from router to 1 gig Ethernet attached Linux box. Linux box plugged into router of course. This build is slower then latest Brainslayer build, 30432, and Openwrt/LEDE build that davidc502 creates.
Kong's latest
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 159 MBytes 133 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 159 MBytes 133 Mbits/sec receiver

Brainslayer 30432
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 195 MBytes 163 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 195 MBytes 163 Mbits/sec receiver

davidc502 dated 8/13/2016 wireless version WiFi driver 10.3.0.18-20160804
[ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 214 MBytes 180 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 214 MBytes 180 Mbits/sec receiver

As you can see this build is slower for me then the other 2. Kong and Brainslayer builds have always been slower for me the Openwrt/LEDE for what ever reason. Same version of driver for davidc502 and Brainslayer and Brainslayer came close. Something to do with the -1 version of the wireless driver? Probably not, but who knows.

As a FYI I did reinstall Brainslayer's 30432. Bugged me that Kong was slower. Had no reason not to use 30432.

--bill

I saw the thread, really appreciate your information. I'm considering a try on LEDE, though I will try BS first soon. Very Happy
wrt1900acsv2_i_think
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigCalhoun wrote:

Do you have a link? I'm pulling my hair out right now and already bricked my router twice with the wrong firmware
dyilmaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I received my Linksys WRT1900ACS router today. I had some hesitations opening or not to opening the box. Because there was no any specific information about the version of the device on the box. I talked to someone in Linksys who told me that generally Linksys specify the versions of the devices on the box but unfortunately not for this model. He suggested me to open the box and look at to the bottom of the device.

I took the risk and opened it and first I was dissapointed after I saw it's V2 WRT1900ACS. But still I wanted to try the dd-wrt image on it.

My initial firmware was Linksys v 1.00.169041

and I first loaded dd-wrt image on the following link:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/WRT1900ACS_factory_to_dd-wrt.img

this image loaded dd-wrt, v3.0-r30465M 8/24/16 in to the router then I installed the kong mod with this file:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acs.bin

After the last reboot, I saw it's v3.0-r30465M kongmv 8/24/16 now.

So far so good and V2 WRT1900ACS works fine with V1 dd-wrt firmwares but have not tested all the options on the router.
Ron34238
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 15:57    Post subject: DD-WRT for Linksys 1900ACSv2 Reply with quote
I heard that one of the companies that sells pre-flashed routers, claims that they have flashed DD-WRT on the Linksys 1900ACSv2. Everything I see on this forum says that it's not available for V2. Could, what they're saying be incorrect, even though they specifically said is was the V2 router?

Thanks,
Ron
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you read up on the commits from yuhhaurlin going back to June, all the firmwares and drivers for the WRT series have been updated per the FCC compliant 1200v2, 1900v2, and the ACSv2.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commits/master

As all the v2's store the wireless power settings etc. in a different part of memory, so they can't be mucked with. The commits point to where the settings are now stored as far as I can tell.

The newest builds should have the new commits already in place, Kong's 8/24 does, as should Brainslayer's.

If I had any v2, I would not have a problem flashing it, what's the worst that could happen? Toggle the power switch three times, if that doesn't work throw the USB to TTL cable on it and go back.

But, I do understand people being hesitant due to the build not saying v2. Maybe they could just change it to say wrtxxxxv1_v2 to stop the confusion?

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Ron34238
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
If you read up on the commits from yuhhaurlin going back to June, all the firmwares and drivers for the WRT series have been updated per the FCC compliant 1200v2, 1900v2, and the ACSv2.

As all the v2's store the wireless power settings etc. in a different part of memory, so they can't be mucked with. The commits point to where the settings are now stored as far as I can tell.

The newest builds should have the new commits already in place, Kong's 8/24 does, as should Brainslayer's.

If I had any v2, I would not have a problem flashing it, what's the worst that could happen? Toggle the power switch three times, if that doesn't work throw the USB to TTL cable on it and go back.

But, I do understand people being hesitant due to the build not saying v2. Maybe they could just change it to say wrtxxxxv1_v2 to stop the confusion?

ATHF:

Thanks for your response. I just can't seem to locate either of these builds. Would you mind providing me a link?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron34238
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
dyilmaz wrote:
I received my Linksys WRT1900ACS router today. I had some hesitations opening or not to opening the box. Because there was no any specific information about the version of the device on the box. I talked to someone in Linksys who told me that generally Linksys specify the versions of the devices on the box but unfortunately not for this model. He suggested me to open the box and look at to the bottom of the device.

I took the risk and opened it and first I was dissapointed after I saw it's V2 WRT1900ACS. But still I wanted to try the dd-wrt image on it.

My initial firmware was Linksys v 1.00.169041

and I first loaded dd-wrt image on the following link:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/WRT1900ACS_factory_to_dd-wrt.img

this image loaded dd-wrt, v3.0-r30465M 8/24/16 in to the router then I installed the kong mod with this file:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acs.bin

After the last reboot, I saw it's v3.0-r30465M kongmv 8/24/16 now.

So far so good and V2 WRT1900ACS works fine with V1 dd-wrt firmwares but have not tested all the options on the router.

I tried flashing both files, in the order listed, and after last reboot could not get into router. What steps did you take and what ip address did you use to access the router?

Ron
Boidster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

I have a 1200 v2 and your comment above is quite helpful, thanks. We 1200 owners don't get much love what with all the 1900ACS mucky-mucks around. Smile

Quote:

For those of us not steeped on open source development methods and tools (i.e. multiple branches with raw commit logs as the only way to tell what is/isn't supported) it can be somewhat overwhelming. I ran DD-WRT for a few years on my old WRT54G and, at the time, getting a DD-WRT build was as easy as looking up your router model and version and picking off the latest from dd-wrt.com. I bought the 1200 specifically because it supported DD-WRT, but I did not do my due diligence to make sure it was supported at the same level. The only version available here at dd-wrt.com is some beta thing from January. (At least from the standard router search UI; the ftp site seems more promising, see below.)

So anywho, adding "v1_v2" to the build files would make it easier for us n00bs, yeah.

All that said, with my 1200 v2 you think either kong's or brainslayer's latest should work fine? I'm off to figure out where one finds a list and links to all of the builds from both.

Edit: here's another n00b question: what is the difference between the files found at

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/08-24-2016-r30471/linksys-wrt1200ac/

and those at

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

The readme at the latter site says those are personal builds by kong - I presume these are the kong builds everybody talks about however there does not seem to be any versioning - just one set of files per router version. How does one go back to a prior kong version they liked? Readme also says that the former site (the ftp site) are the "regular" builds. So those are the base/main/master branch of dd-wrt code? And that r30471 is the latest regular (beta) build for my router then? It's a little confusing because people refer to "kong's build r30465" and such, but I see no version information in what is apparently kong's repository.
PeterS-ZH
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everybody

Since I have the impression that my good ol' D-Link DIR825 is slowly giving up, I wanted to replace it with a new WRT1900ACS...
Picked it up on Saturday just to find out that

1. there are two versions of the ACS models (ok, I could also have read that before walking into the shop, but it's not like you can say I want a V1 or a V2 anyway)
  2. it's not obvious to me to reliably assert if it is really an ACS V2
  3. there still seems to be some confusion about which versions / builds / files are the right ones to get, if the router is actually a WRT1900ACS V2

The following images could lead to that assumption that it actually is a WRT1900ACS V2, but then the FCC and IC numbers are putting a question mark behind it again...

If anybody has the right argumentation, I'd be happy to hear it!

The other question is about the files needed... Unfortunately the WRT1900ACS V2 is not even mentioned in the router database and the discussions in this thread do not lead to a clear picture (at least not for me) and the latest developments both on the SB as well as on the Kong side might not be reflected.

Therefore --> Which one(s) is / are the most reasonable builds for the WRT1900ACS V2 (I'm assuming the router actually is a V2 - otherwise I'll have to re-phrase the question...)??

And is there anything special to be taken into account when flashing the new firmware, or is the installation WIKI precise enough?

As you can derive form my questions, I'm not the one who flashes his routers on a weekly or monthly basis... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Peter
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Boidster wrote:

Edit: here's another n00b question: what is the difference between the files found at

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/08-24-2016-r30471/linksys-wrt1200ac/

and those at

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

The readme at the latter site says those are personal builds by kong - I presume these are the kong builds everybody talks about however there does not seem to be any versioning - just one set of files per router version. How does one go back to a prior kong version they liked? Readme also says that the former site (the ftp site) are the "regular" builds. So those are the base/main/master branch of dd-wrt code? And that r30471 is the latest regular (beta) build for my router then? It's a little confusing because people refer to "kong's build r30465" and such, but I see no version information in what is apparently kong's repository.

You can read some about some of the differences here
http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/08/difference-between-dd-wrt-brainslayer-eko-fractal-and-kong-builds/

Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
PeterS-ZH wrote:

The other question is about the files needed... Unfortunately the WRT1900ACS V2 is not even mentioned in the router database and the discussions in this thread do not lead to a clear picture (at least not for me) and the latest developments both on the SB as well as on the Kong side might not be reflected.

Therefore --> Which one(s) is / are the most reasonable builds for the WRT1900ACS V2 (I'm assuming the router actually is a V2 - otherwise I'll have to re-phrase the question...)??

And is there anything special to be taken into account when flashing the new firmware, or is the installation WIKI precise enough?

As you can derive form my questions, I'm not the one who flashes his routers on a weekly or monthly basis... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Peter

You have an ACSv2, the reason it says ACv2 for the FCC ID, is the ACv2 and ACS are pretty much the same thing (If I remember, the ACS has either a faster processor or more memory, meaning they didn't have to apply for another FCC ID)

The router database is not kept up to date very often, which is why you don't see it listed. You want the ones listed under ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/ then select the date or build number, then find linksys WRT1900ACSv2.
If going from stock Linksys to DD-WRT you want the factory_to_ddwrt file (the webflash files are if you want to update from within the DD-WRT interface, but that will get rid of your stock partition, some people keep it, some don't).

For developments (for right now, as the changelog has been slow to update) see svn.dd-wrt.com you don't get a LOT of info unless you can read the code, the comments are small for each commit.

If the Wiki says you need a 30/30/30 reset, you do not, these routers have two partitions. For more info read http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813 the basics from jsebean are still good, except that the BS factory to ddwrt versions are now all .bin files

Spectrum - 1000/50
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 13
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: