WNDR3800 wifi client mode killing host wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tealsteam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:17    Post subject: WNDR3800 wifi client mode killing host wifi Reply with quote
Recently i came into some issues with my own ISP, so my next door neighbour gave me his wifi password to his virgin media router where he has 200mb/s,

I had a WNDR3800 lying around, i flashed ddwrt on to it about 2 weeks ago, set it up as a wifi client on the 2g antenna so there was no way we could take all his bandwith. i have about 45% signal strenght and gave myself internet back on pc, now its been its been running fine up until about 2 days ago.

The internet started dropping out for me and my neighbour, he and i were experiencing very low network speeds, i went to work next day, my pc now being off, and it was still happening to him, this morning, as it was still happening, i turned off the wndr3800 and his speed and wifi were back to working order.

i have had this issue 6-7 years ago on an older netgear router running ddwrt,

During the setup, i moved the ddwrt router to an IP address range i knew his router wouldn't be using,

created a virtual wireless adapter so there was a wifi access point in my property, i set his wifi password in the security page for the adapter connecting to his router, and set a password for the virtual adapter and then on the wireless page i set it to client, put his SSID in. saved and applied the settings, internet came up and ive done nothing else with it.

am i missing something, is it missing a config? i just don't understand how it connecting via the 2g adapter to his router kills his wifi. when its been fine for over a week. please help
Sponsor
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 14:58    Post subject: Re: WNDR3800 wifi client mode killing host wifi Reply with quote
all helpful info missing, What build r?????, screenshots of WAN LAN WLAN settings, do your router connect to his clients or a guest WLAN (with separat network) ? ...

sounds like a repeater or some sort of AP/router setting to me, not a client and a network conflict.
If the router is connected to the neighbours router by 2.4Ghz WLAN you get an IP address from his DHCP on the 2.4 Ghz Wifi Interface. All your clients you connect to your router should get an IP from his DHCP too (if his DHCP range has sufficent unused IP's), except you isolate your LAN ports and Wifi or use routing. Your neighbour need to set your routers IP to fixed, static or equal if your router is a standard client on his WLAN, to avoid IP changes on the Wifi Interface by dropping connections.
And my feeling is to use the 2.4 Ghz Wifi only for uplink to neighbours router, using the 5 Ghz Wifi for your clients in first place, so you end up with a setting that bridges 2.4 with 5 Ghz Wifi and LAN Ports. You should save and test your setup for some time before modifying it.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 20:00    Post subject: Client Mode Reply with quote
Do you have DD-WRT set up in client mode as per the wiki here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

These 2 pages explain the differences in between the 2 modes. Client mode would be best, client bridge is a software hack and can cause other issues later.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons#Router_Mode_Comparison_Table

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:00    Post subject: Re: Client Mode Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Do you have DD-WRT set up in client mode as per the wiki here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

These 2 pages explain the differences in between the 2 modes. Client mode would be best, client bridge is a software hack and can cause other issues later.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons#Router_Mode_Comparison_Table

Maybe I am not up to date but client setups only connect by WLAN to uplink, not hosting own WLAN (virtual or whatsoever)

If I would need something like my interpretation of tealsteam's description I would first check if my neighbour is able to config some time/internet access unlimited Guest WLAN, that has its own subnet and dhcp, and if possible I would try to extend THIS WLAN with a repeater setting on my router and connect my device via WLAN and cable to repeater. This is more secure to his and my devices as they are on separate routered subnet

Never had a neighbour to test it, but just a suggestion
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use client mode.

Then create s VAP or use the other radio as an AP for you clients to connect to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: