Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Posts: 7411 Location: YWG, Canada
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 23:30 Post subject:
no updates. if u could, theres always selling or returning the r7500 v2 & getting an ea8500 instead which is supported now. both are the same except ea8500 has 2x qca9980 4x4 radios, r7500 v2 only has 1 qca9980 4x4 radio & 1 qca9880 3x3 radio. despite being $10 less at the time this is why i went for ea8500 instead, instant support. _________________ LATEST FIRMWARE(S)
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers
I bought my R7500v2 for $140 about 3 weeks ago. While I would love to just return it and buy an EA8500, the EA8500 is $220 right now on Amazon. Thats quite a bit more than a $10 difference.
I guess I'll just have to wait longer, thanks!
Same here. If I wanted to get the EA8500 today, Walmart has it in my local stores for $278. Definitely not a deal though.
I'll stick with the R7500v2 and wait for dd-wrt support, plus I always had a better experience with Netgear products.
Please tell me if everyone already knows this and I'll be quiet --
I've read other threads on the Atheros board about supporting routers by modifying the firmware. Does this beast use hardware -- SoC, CPU, wireless, ethernet, whatever -- identical to another model router? If so, a guru (I'm *not* a guru) could modify the header to match the new device. But probably someone would have to crack one open, solder on a serial pad, and boot it up with a serial connection to capture a boot log. HTH.
Those are both my threads guys Not much action outside of Tathagata build. (which I am reluctant to use)
I really hope there's more movement on the ddwrt side or whatever. I loaded the OpenWRT build and it was working great at first. Then slowly but surely things started going haywire. A couple days ago I noticed one of my systems (a mid 2010 Mac Mini) was acting all screwy where speedtest.net would hang in the middle of a speedtest and the speed would drop to almost 0 and just get stuck. Then I started noticing that anytime I tried to download most files, the download would either partially download a couple mb or less (regardless of how big the download was) and then cut out. I determined it was the router and tried factory resetting and rebooting multiple times to no avail. I finally gave up and had to TFTP flash the original crap 220.127.116.11 FW back onto the thing. Now it's 'stable' but I'm sure other things will start breaking... prior to the OpenWRT madness, I was having a lot of trouble with my Foscam dropping out as well as some devices going haywire when WMM was enabled. But then disabling WMM resulted in a major throughput bottleneck somehow. This router doesn't have much going for it in my book, unless Netgear fixes all these issues OR further progress is made on the open source dev side.