Maybe someone can help me figure out what's going on with my R7000 and any of the September builds.
I switched over from Tomato to the 8/15/20 build, the newest at the time, and everything has been working great. I decide to try to update to one of the September builds and that's when I start having issues. Doesn't matter if it's the 9/10, 9/18, or 9/24 build, the issue is the same.
I try to stream a TV show from my local Plex server and after 25-30 minutes, give or take, the streaming just stops. It doesn't freeze or stutter, it's like it reaches the end of the file or I hit the stop button. After the first time it happens it will continue happening at seemingly random intervals. Most recently I had it happen the first time after about 30 minutes, then it happened at least two more times within the next six minutes of the episode in question.
My Plex server is running on my Synology NAS, which is wired directly to the R7000. I am using a Shield TV (2019) sitting maybe 6-9ft away from the router connected via 802.11ac. The issue has happened with multiple files, all 1080p with AC3 stereo audio. About 1GB/file give or take maybe 100MB.
I have restarted the wifi on the Shield, I have rebooted the Shield, I have rebooted the router, I have reset the router to factory defaults and then manually changed all the settings back to the way they were, no change.
I am reasonably certain the issue has to do with some change made in the DD-WRT code since the 8/15/20 build because that one continues to work flawlessly and I can simply flash back to that build and everything works fine. Also, as I stated, I tried doing a factory reset with the 9/24 build and then manually put in all the settings, so it's not a stale setting.
The only oddity, is that I use PlexKodiConnect with Kodi to stream content from my Plex server. However, as stated the 8/15 build works flawlessly with this exact setup, so I am disinclined to think it has any bearing.
Happy to provide any info about settings I have changed, network topology, etc.
Went back to the 9/24 build, and set 2.4GHz to NG-Only and a channel that wasn't being used. Then set 5GHz to AC/N-Only and set it to a channel not being used according to the site survey function. Turned off the beamforming which was really the only "extra" thing I turned on.
Connected my Shield to the 2.4GHz network and tried to play some of the files I've had issues with. Twice in a row it stopped after maybe 1-2 seconds of playback. Then it worked for a little bit, I left to use the bathroom, and by the time I came back it had crapped out.
And once again, even with the beamforming enabled, the 8/15 build works flawlessly, even if I set the channel selection to Auto and modes both to Mixed.
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44191 std (08/15/20) is the one that works perfectly. I haven't tried any of the later August builds, so I'll give the r44251 build from 8/28 a try and maybe work my way backwards from there.
I will keep testing, but it seems like there was some change between r44251 from 8/27/20 and r44340 from 9/10/20 that is causing the issue. I made it through an entire 43 minute episode using r44251 which I don't believe I've been able to do with any of the builds from r44340 onward.
Joined: 18 Mar 2014 Posts: 6990 Location: Netherlands
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:37 Post subject:
That is from the httpd damon the webserver of the router which is what we call the GUI, so basically you browsing the router.
It could be a plug in in your browser, Chromium based browsers do no always play nice with DDWRT.
Use Firefox without any plug in
So I do not think this is related to your problem.
If you could stream wired that could rule out a lot of things, meaning then it is a wireless problem.
I have been using IE11 for DD-WRT configuration. It's completely stock, except I changed the home page to the DD-WRT status page because DD-WRT is the one and only thing I use IE11 for.
And running a cable would be difficult. I broke my ankle about a week ago and getting down to plug something into the router and then running it behind some other furniture just isn't going to happen for a few weeks.
The Rx/Tx errors are always hover in the single digits.
There is also how the August builds work fine, but the September builds are the ones that are problematic. The obvious conclusion is there was some change to the wireless subsystem between the r44251 and r44340 builds that's causing the problem.
I'm on 44340 (Asus RT-AC68U) and use Plex. Streaming over Chromecast connected to my 2.4 GHz wifi. Works quite well and I haven't noticed any problems recently. _________________ AC-68U rev. C1 on Build 45420
AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 45493
AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 44340