Latest firmware for WRT54GL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
My WRT54GL is running since ages on the mini-generic 14929 build, you can find it here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/
Or more precise:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

Together with a daily scheduled reboot I tend to forget were the thing is located in our house Wink

Oh and depending on your usage...why not running the latest stock firmware, 4.30.17_11 is released not long ago.
Sponsor
wil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
divB wrote:
As mentioned I installed dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin (BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 - 2014 - 12-22-2014-r25697) now. It works but unfortunately the WiFi connection seems to be unstable: Connection drops regularly and running a ping to the ap in background I see "request timed out" once in a while (sometimes bursts). [Test laptop is right next to AP and a D-Link AP at identical position worked stable for years).

Furthermore I miss SNMP and HTTPS on this build.
FWIW I used the abovementioned BrainSlayer build for over a year down here on my trusty old WRT54GL v1.1 and it worked well for me.

As I figured that a 2014 build is getting a bit long in the tooth, I just decided to update and used:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/01-02-2016-r28647/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

That did work as in that I am using it now and it didn't brick the oldy. Not sure yet how good it is, but I guess that I will find out.

Oh and for other people wondering why you would update the firmware on such an old router? It's something to do with security and vulnerabilities. Smile

cheers
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
wil wrote:
I just decided to update and used:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/01-02-2016-r28647/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

That did work as in that I am using it now and it didn't brick the oldy. Not sure yet how good it is, but I guess that I will find out.
Good to know; one of these days I'll update the WRT's I setup for my in-laws.

Also, you could update the build thread w/ your results:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=288554

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
wil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just did, sorry never saw your reply before.

Will also update the current build with that info as I just upgraded to:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/06-06-2016-r29837/broadcom/

I've tried a few different bin's and while I did get the standard version to work, it seemed a bit unstable.

This might be due to my Linksys falling apart or it might be something else.

So I went back to the mini and that works well.
At least so far, if not I'll post back here.
Hawaiihemd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just in case someone finds this thread when searching for a new firmware for this old bad boy (just as I did).

I just installed DD-WRT v3.0-r31825 mini (md5 0cbe6ffc20b0445fc253d3b46d159f47) on my Linksys WRT54GL.

First updated to dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_mini (md5 f524a31f8e0b53217369802959309c89) from stock linksys fw (recommended in the installation wiki), ran it for 5min and then updated again.

Nothing wrong that I could tell.
Uptime: 50min so far.

I intend to update this post, tell you how it goes.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hawaiihemd wrote:
Just in case someone finds this thread when searching for a new firmware for this old bad boy (just as I did).
Sounds like you did your homework on good builds. Smile And in case someone does find this thread looking to upgrade, here is a good place to stress for WRT54* users (probably also any old 2-4MB routers) to avoid builds 32597 and 32753 at least until the httpd issue is fixed, and others report success on these models in the 'New Build' threads.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
rickmav3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
04-24-2017-r31899 and 06-01-2017-r32170 are working good, too, on WRT54G. Just don't go with anything over r32170.
mwnn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does it actually make much sense to even use an old Wireless G router these days?

The small amount of flash is limiting, Ethernet over GbE ports, won't even mention the wireless.

You'd probably have to still be using the worst xDSL package ever! Laughing

Granted they were always rock solid units, everyone remembers their distinctive blue appearance and I've got fond memories of tinkering with them.

As a bit of trivia - I also happen to like how they were used in making a record breaking long distance WiFi link (173 miles) in Venezuela: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi#Venezuela

But there's plenty of Wireless N/AC models going dirt cheap now.

Even the highly directional stuff made by Ubiquiti doesn't break the bank.

I think that's what I'd be looking at doing if I was in the middle of nowhere.
Hawaiihemd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Hawaiihemd wrote:
Sounds like you did your homework on good builds. Smile And in case someone does find this thread looking to upgrade, here is a good place to stress for WRT54* users (probably also any old 2-4MB routers) to avoid builds 32597 and 32753 at least until the httpd issue is fixed, and others report success on these models in the 'New Build' threads.

Actually I did Smile. I would say I easily put 8 hours of reading ahead in on this journey.
And in the end, I saw you mentioning the voip version of this build somewhere for this router and gave the mini a shot. Still running smooth. So big thanks to you.

mwnn wrote:
Does it actually make much sense to even use an old Wireless G router these days?

The small amount of flash is limiting, Ethernet over GbE ports, won't even mention the wireless.

Actually dd-wrt seems much too powerful for a noob like me, but running 1,5yo fw just was not acceptable security-wise. And I tend to use hardware as long as it fits my needs, especially my androids. Maybe my needs are not that large Wink.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwnn wrote:

Sure they are still worth using. 54Mb/s is still faster than most people's Internet speed, so for using as a simple access point, they still rock! I have 2 of them running to provide Internet in weak spots my EA8500 doesn't reach very well, and one more running an outdoor antenna so I have WiFi outside. My house has aluminum siding so nothing inside, gets outside.
xflyboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwnn wrote:

You'd probably have to still be using the worst xDSL package ever! Laughing

Granted they were always rock solid units, everyone remembers their distinctive blue appearance and I've got fond memories of tinkering with them.

As a bit of trivia - I also happen to like how they were used in making a record breaking long distance WiFi link (173 miles) in Venezuela: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi#Venezuela

But there's plenty of Wireless N/AC models going dirt cheap now.

Even the highly directional stuff made by Ubiquiti doesn't break the bank.

I think that's what I'd be looking at doing if I was in the middle of nowhere.

We still use those in Argentina (and i guess in the rest of S America). Internet connections aren't so fast here yet. 6Mb/12Mb.
So it does it purpose well. So don't burry them yet.

PD: Had some success with DD-WRT v3.0-r32170 mini (06/01/17) See here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1088269#1088269
moon_pie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's so cool about the distance record in Venezuala! :D that's quite the feat; and as simple seeming as the technology seems compared to todays 47 antennas and a bajillion milliwatts on esoteric frequencies, i still smile fondly at my in use WRT54GL v1.1. this era of tech will last as long as the mp3, annoying snobs all over despite still being useful to many of us ;D anyway!

way back when, when i moved from stock to the classic brainslayer v2.4SP2, it was an epiphany. many builds later, I was on v3.0-r31690 std (03/17/17)
(which was streaming delightfully well 24/7 to a 5-device PerkTV "farm" for 3-4 months solid with only the occasional accidental power outage). This year, i've been experimenting with newer builds on all my gear just for fun and learning - so i've incremented some routers up in smaller version changes rather than a huge leap (like 2.4 to 3.0+ was the first time lol). blathering aside, back to the WRT54GL! i went up the chain from stable filler_name-generic mini build to the next.

I read through this and numerous other threads, and picked the builds that sounded good for others - as well as looking at how long between versions had passed; imo, a month or two means it's probably pretty stable versus a new release a week later. i like stability in most cases, and i wasn't sure how the small internal flash would handle increasingly complex firmwares but hah! go old linksys! i did a factory reset and then an erase nvram on both sides of each flash, and I chose:
[/size]

r31825 mini - solid build, I went with a mini build, as a post suggested it was less risky - I did lotsa resets & nvram erases just in case! then on to...
r31899 mini - stepping stone, no probs flashing if I recall right - just didn't need the features and wanted JFFS space (mini works great, I'm sure!) so...
r32170 std - very solid, been my #1 on most routers lately. Admittedly, I didn't run it long on this router as I was headed towards...

the magic one, the chosen firmware!!! *drumroll.wav*

r33006 mini - this is total packet-kicking awesomeness!! no issues so far, no missing or malformed options, more testing to come, but...

Thus far, it's been stable as all out though! I believe this is in part due to the incremental upgrades rather than a large version jump, but that's just what my brain insists - I couldn't actually say beyond good firmware coding :)

I just did an ookla speedtest on their beta.speedtest.net site, with the wrt54gl setup like a switch (local IP for admin, WAN port disabled, main router handles DHCP and such) - I have port 1 hooked up to a 1gbit consumer grade switch, which is connected via beat up old cat5(e? i can't remember) directly into the Asus RT-N66U (rocking a mid-year build itself, it's hit 130mbps on speedtests with a usb3 to ethernet dongle plugged into my chromebook's usb2 port - I suspect my chromebook and network overhead accounts for the rest. We have a 150/15 cable package, but a number of 100mbit devices, and they all can fully saturate their connections and make the Asus yawn.

16ms ping
96.04Mbps Down
15.71Mbps Up
~450km trip one way
to a sister city, on the copper/fiber competition's speedtest site. Actually better than the ISP itself, most days, I don't even.. And despite the artificial nature of such tests, this lil device punches well above its weight class considering it's vintage :)

So, provided you're careful/patient and make sure you take the extra few minutes each flash to hit the Factory Reset in the webgui, telnet in, erase nvram, then flash the next version you feel *you* can trust, and repeat, I believe this general idea should work for you too. Lotsa nvram being erased, but also the webgui's reset is apparently important as it provides some values we need (perhaps the new features, it's amazing what's packed in!)

I'm typing this all through said WRT54GL, which has been running r33006 all night doing nothing and then getting slammed today, and it's barely broken a sweat. I followed a few guides on the wiki and the forum for a couple values I wanted specific for using this in a very low transmit power situation (it's going to be a repeater or a bridge, I'm not sure yet, but it will be next to the raspberry pi server it's relaying to the outside world through some crappy Arris routermodem junk). But essentially, no adjustment necessary imo - here we are running brand new shiny firmware on a piece of kit older than half the gear on my workbench :B

YMMV - I won't be held responsible if your router bricks, explodes, bursts into flames, lets out the magic smoke, eats all your favourite files, gains sentience and wipes out our species, or any other increasingly ridiculous scenarios. Try at your own risk - I've only outlined what has worked in *MY* situation (which shouldn't really matter, the software doesn't care if I forgot to vacuum today or eat lunch). Good luck, sorry for the extra verbose post!!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

v3.0-r34311 mini (12/29/17) tested successfully on WRT54GL v1.1
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/12-29-2017-r34311/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

Edit: Well... actually the AES is not working on the Wifi. Revert back to v3.0-r28647 mini (01/02/16) and it works.

Cheers !
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
v3.0-r28647 is vulnerable to Krack, isn't it? (http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6005)
jamagallon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 23:07    Post subject: Success with 38253 Reply with quote
Hi all...

I have a couple WRT54GL v1.1 I use as backup routers.
The latest DD-WRT version I can install on those is 38253.
Good news, as it works, but bad ones also, because anything
newer than that bricks the router.
Till now I managed to unbrick them with the "paperclip" method
several times, but I don want to test my luck much more.

Someone managed to install something more recent than that ?
What could have changed from 38253 onwards to just brick
them ?

TIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: