Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
cal_krusty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Kong has new build out today. My EA8500 been up with it nearly 4 hrs now ....no problems.
You can look at Kong new build thread.
Also BS has new r36808 just couple days old. I used it also with no problems but it's k4.9 is hard on bufferbloat if you have fast internet connection.

Can you recommend a stable build? Something that I can leave running months on end without having to reboot the router?
Sponsor
jamalot71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 23:31    Post subject: Thank you! Also, can someone help with proper wireless conf Reply with quote
After many months of searching forums and trying to get Linksys to update their systems.

First, thanks to all of you in the forums. Thanks to mrjcd for the tutorial and breakdown.

I purchased the Linksys EA8500 about a year ago and during the upgrade process, found out that this model (as listed in mrjcd breakdown) at least 2 different boards.

My board - EWW604-B1-LS REV:305(XD) has the pins removed from the board to try to block you from upgrading. I didn't have access to parts, so purchased a USB converter and sodered (poorly) the cables directly to the spots on the board for RX,TX and GND. As a thank you, I'm uploading shots I took during the process in case it will help any other novices out there to follow.

After my novice sodering effort and following mrjcd's tutorial, I was finally able to install and boot with DD-WRT! Amazing tool and exactly what I hoped to get.

Since my setup, and through various version upgrades/downgrades, I haven't found one that works correctly with either wireless channel. I get either inability to get a DCHP address (using default settings), low signal or deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer deauth/remove) on multiple devices. Also, when on AC/N only getting 137 speed.

Can anyone tell me the correct, basic, secure wireless settings just so I can be stable until I can research more?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
That might have been the biggest picture I’ve ever seen on the forum.
Please if posting again, make it much, much smaller.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
That might have been the biggest picture I’ve ever seen on the forum.
Please if posting again, make it much, much smaller.

Yes, sorry, I couldn't figure out how to edit my post to remove and replace.

I'm now running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36375M kongat (07/23/1Cool
Time: 13:02:39 and works but 5G is flakey and only providing 173Mbps to my Galaxy S8+.
jamalot71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 17:59    Post subject: S-Config Reply with quote
Also, thanks to the people at S-Config who added another element to the puzzle.

https://www.s-config.com/linksys-e8500-dd-wrt-router/

Here is a link to the pictures of my board and interface. (Linked so I don't mess up the BB.)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PxYrPsN56ix9g1Zo6
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
jamalot71
Don't guess it matters now but rather than solder to the board I just cut paper clips with wire cutters and stick into the USB TTL & the correct holes on the board. You can then tape them to hold steady if you want. Actaully my EA8500 has header pins made in the board but I have used the method I mentioned many many times on various other routers.

I never had problem with 5Ghz radio but then I don't have any real high speed wireless clients. I suggest you look thru --
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings
The 'recommended' in all will probably be good for you.

I do have the 'Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing)' on mine set to 0.
Was some issues I had long time ago and not sure if might still be a problem with builds of this year. I've just always left it at zero and never had any problem since.
currently running 'DD-WRT v3.0-r36810M kongat 08/31/18'
uptime 3 days, 18:55 with neary a problem for me.

good luck --
jamalot71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
jamalot71
Don't guess it matters now but rather than solder to the board I just cut paper clips with wire cutters and stick into the USB TTL & the correct holes on the board. You can then tape them to hold steady if you want. Actaully my EA8500 has header pins made in the board but I have used the method I mentioned many many times on various other routers.

I never had problem with 5Ghz radio but then I don't have any real high speed wireless clients. I suggest you look thru --
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings
The 'recommended' in all will probably be good for you.

I do have the 'Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing)' on mine set to 0.
Was some issues I had long time ago and not sure if might still be a problem with builds of this year. I've just always left it at zero and never had any problem since.
currently running 'DD-WRT v3.0-r36810M kongat 08/31/18'
uptime 3 days, 18:55 with neary a problem for me.

good luck --

Much better suggestion than my solder-mess, thank you! I'll go through those settings and update if I have additional issues. Thanks again for everything!
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone answer this question I posted last week?

Thanks in advance...

Eric

ejaf wrote:
Hi all EA8500 gurus...

Currently on old Kong build:
DD-WRT v3.0-r31900M kongat (04/26/17)

Any issues upgrading to the latest version recommended by mrjcd (whose site was the most beneficial one that helped me get this router onto dd-wrt in the first place, so thank you)?

Can I get away with the upgrade with no hard reset (would rather not have to hard reset if not necessary)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Eric
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
ejaf wrote:
Can anyone answer this question I posted last week?

Thanks in advance...

Eric

ejaf wrote:
Hi all EA8500 gurus...

Currently on old Kong build:
DD-WRT v3.0-r31900M kongat (04/26/17)

Any issues upgrading to the latest version recommended by mrjcd (whose site was the most beneficial one that helped me get this router onto dd-wrt in the first place, so thank you)?

Can I get away with the upgrade with no hard reset (would rather not have to hard reset if not necessary)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Eric

Try it. If you have no issues, don’t reset. If you have issues, reset.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure...will do. Will print the settings out so I can reset them if something goes wrong.

Also have to find info (probably on mrjcd's site), to copy the firmware over to the other side, if no issues with it.

Wish there was a way to just dump nvram text out of only changed (non-default) parameters.

E
jamalot71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
ejaf wrote:
Sure...will do. Will print the settings out so I can reset them if something goes wrong.

Also have to find info (probably on mrjcd's site), to copy the firmware over to the other side, if no issues with it.

Wish there was a way to just dump nvram text out of only changed (non-default) parameters.

E

You can probably just Backup/Export your config and restore if you run into issues.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
ejaf wrote:

E

The build I have recommended on the site is r33772 (11/16/17) if that is what you want to go to.
AFAIK everything works with that build and shouldn't cause problems if leave it and forget about it.
You should not have any problem installing a BS build over Kong build......but
yea, you should do a nvram backup at least regardless.
It's hard to tell since I don't know what all you have running (settings)
I do know that later 2017 builds had ovpn ver 2.4.4 and now they have 2.4.6 not that it really matters with that.

If for some reason you have problem you can always just boot to other part and all back to way its was.
If you make changes once on another build and decide to boot back to previous build it would probably be best to then use its nvram backup.

Note:
Newer builds for EA8500 now have 128 KB nvram where older was just 64.
Not exactly sure when that was changed but it was sometime this year (2018).
I do know that using a new build and installing back to an older (2017) build it will be just like the router was reset.
This is due to different nvram size (different memory space)

good luck --
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all...think I have enough to go on.

If for some reason I can't find the RTFM on copying to the other partition, I'll ping you back here with my questions.

Eric

P.S. I hope you all know what RTFM means Wink
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 15:11    Post subject: Figuring out what's on second boot partition Reply with quote
OK...back with another question...did some searching, but couldn't get exact match.

Since this router has 2 partitions to boot from, what's the easiest way to get what's currently on partition 1, and flash it over to partition 2, if I wanted to? is it as simple as creating a .bin backup, and going through the steps in mrjcd's instructions, using that .bin instead?

And there's really no way to tell what's on the inactive partition unless I change the uboot environment parameter and reboot, pointing to the other side, is there?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 15:30    Post subject: Re: Figuring out what's on second boot partition Reply with quote
ejaf wrote:
OK...back with another question...did some searching, but couldn't get exact match.

Since this router has 2 partitions to boot from, what's the easiest way to get what's currently on partition 1, and flash it over to partition 2, if I wanted to? is it as simple as creating a .bin backup, and going through the steps in mrjcd's instructions, using that .bin instead?

And there's really no way to tell what's on the inactive partition unless I change the uboot environment parameter and reboot, pointing to the other side, is there?

Both parts use the same nvram
But .....this is where it can get into trouble if one part is using older 64 KB nvram and other part is using new build with 128 KB.
Any time you install firmware (dd-wrt or Linksys) it will always install to the partition that you are not currently running.... hence Linksys admin page has option to Restore Previous firmware....just boots back into other part.
Dd-wrt you do it from the. CLI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 123, 124, 125  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 108 of 125
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: