Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Including me. I've had the r6250 and it's been better than any atheros unit I've had except the ea8500 I have now.

In terms of CPU power the IPQ8064 in the EA8500 blows away every broadcom unit including the new 1.4Ghz broadcoms. Look at the tiny heatsink of the EA8500 and then look at the heatsinks of the new 1.4Ghz broadcoms.

do u happen to be working on r7500 v2 as well? since its a near clone to the ea8500 & has same qualcomm atheros qca99xx radios instead of quantenna

Don't have a V2 yet. But the EA8500 build is soon ready for public consumption:-)

It has the same dual boot logic as the Linksys WRT series.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong, have you had to recover the ea8500 with your serial setup yet?
I haven't opened mine yet, I'm hoping it doesn't have the same small pins that the other ea series and the wrt1900ac uses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Kong, have you had to recover the ea8500 with your serial setup yet?
I haven't opened mine yet, I'm hoping it doesn't have the same small pins that the other ea series and the wrt1900ac uses.

Without serial setup you can't port such a unit, so yes I have it hooked up and there is a standard header on it. Mine already came with a cable connected:-)
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'm an idiot for asking that. Smh.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Including me. I've had the r6250 and it's been better than any atheros unit I've had except the ea8500 I have now.

Well the EA8500 build has taken the lead in my throughput benchmark. In my test location 2.4G through concrete ceiling I have the following throughputs:

Linksys WRT1900ACv1: 200Mbps
Netgear R7000 : 210Mbps
Linksys EA8500 : 230Mbps

Current nat throughput is 700Mbps, but I have not enabled compile optimization, this will make a big difference as the new krait offers various features that speed things up a lot hard float, neon etc.

The EA8500 has the best reception I have seen, it is the only unit that sees a neighbors router from that location, there is no other unit that sees any neighbor signals in my test location.

Openssl performance is about 25% better compared to broadcoms new 1.4Ghz and again I have not yet enabled compile optimization. It features very low power consumption, cpu temp is around 60 degree celcius although this thing only has a tiny heatsink.
The cpu does frequency scaling and if idle it runs only at 384Mhz.

The build can now be tested and I don't expect any major issues. The flash logic is the same as on WRT1900/1200 series, thus already mature.

Flashing back to oem will require a convert image. But again if you use commandline to switch boot_part env you can keep the oem firmware on one partition and dd-wrt on the other.

Last edited by <Kong> on Wed Dec 09, 2015 17:12; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the download for it where your other builds are?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ya its on his site http://desipro.de/ddwrt/

mines still on the way..does the bootloader support the full flash chip size or is it heavily neutered like many others?

maybe we should move to the ea8500 thread or malachi could move our ea8500 posts into it? http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=284000

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55416 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55416 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

mines still on the way..does the bootloader support the full flash chip size or is it heavily neutered like many others?

maybe we should move to the ea8500 thread or malachi could move our ea8500 posts into it? http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=284000

Whole flash is used, but only around 25MB space for jffs since it has two installs, which is used for failsafe, if the kernel crashes a few times it will switch to the second install.

If you flash it will flash to the second partition and boot from it, thus you still have the previously working image on it.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

Whole flash is used, but only around 25MB space for jffs since it has two installs, which is used for failsafe, if the kernel crashes a few times it will switch to the second install.

If you flash it will flash to the second partition and boot from it, thus you still have the previously working image on it.

on ur site it says

"If you flash from linksys fw it will flash to the second partition, if
you flash the next time from dd-wrt it will flash to the other partition where
linksys fw still exists, after that both partitions are loaded with dd-wrt.
"

wouldnt it be better if ddwrt was changed so it stays on the 1 partition only while keeping stock fw (or any given build of ddwrt if user chooses) on the other for "brick protection" purposes?

for boot_part env, is that just something the user would enter in telnet or ssh, after ddwrt is flashed? is there any caldata info like the wndr3700 v1 & dir-825 that needs to be protected & ideally, backed up just in case?

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

psychopomp1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

Sorry, but which one do i need to download for the EA8500? Also are there any clear instructions on how to upload DD-WRT fw?

Once up & running does DD-WRT allow me to connect to my paid for VPN service using the IPSec protocol? Don't want to use PPTP (insecure) or OpenVPN (lose too much speed) in DD-WRT.

Cheers
Psycho
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
like with most routers, the factory file, the other file is for updating ddwrt to newer ddwrt

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
psychopomp1 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

Sorry, but which one do i need to download for the EA8500? Also are there any clear instructions on how to upload DD-WRT fw?

Once up & running does DD-WRT allow me to connect to my paid for VPN service using the IPSec protocol? Don't want to use PPTP (insecure) or OpenVPN (lose too much speed) in DD-WRT.

Cheers
Psycho

Read the readme in this folder http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I performed the flash, it reported operation successful, then I rebooted router.

192.168.1.1 still linksys FW

I am not sure if I have to change the boot partition somehow, or if I should hit the 'restore previous firmware' option from the linksys FW GUI to copy the ddwrt flash to the 2nd partition.

I'd rather keep the linksys stuff on there in case I need to revert for whatever reason, but I do not know how to change the boot partition.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

*** Alright, alright, I will wait for it to actually be released before I start monkeying with it Very Happy ***

<.<
>.>

-SK
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
superkronz wrote:
I performed the flash, it reported operation successful, then I rebooted router.

192.168.1.1 still linksys FW

I am not sure if I have to change the boot partition somehow, or if I should hit the 'restore previous firmware' option from the linksys FW GUI to copy the ddwrt flash to the 2nd partition.

I'd rather keep the linksys stuff on there in case I need to revert for whatever reason, but I do not know how to change the boot partition.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

*** Alright, alright, I will wait for it to actually be released before I start monkeying with it Very Happy ***

<.<
>.>

-SK

Well that pretty easy to answer, if linksys fw is on, then you probably flashed the wrong file. Or it tried to boot dd-wrt 3 times, boot failed and thus reverted to linksys fw, which would be really strange since I flashed and tested it before uploading.

Thus most likely error on your side.

P.S. Just reupped mvebu/ipq builds, since I just added unbound again.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong, I just got around to flashing mine. On the status page, the cpu clock keeps fluctuating.
It goes from 384mhz to 600 and once I saw it at 1400.

Navigation

Jump to: