To be, or not to be - the Q87 -WRT1900AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
StFidelis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 18:29    Post subject: To be, or not to be - the Q87 -WRT1900AC Reply with quote
From what I can tell, the aforementioned router is NOT in the Router Database.

Howvert, it IS in the wiki list of supported routers. Nonetheless, it does NOT include an "Install Guide" like the others.

So the million dollar question, is there a working and supported version of DD-WRT for this router? All I'm looking to do is increase the antenna strength of the router.

Admittedly, I'm a noob trying to avoid reading the 100 page post which began 22 months ago.

Thanks in advance for your help! I hope to contribute on the subject once I get mine up and running the DD-WRT software.

Thanks again guys (and gals)!
Sponsor
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start at the end of that thread and read backwards. There's actually a pretty decent guide in the last couple of pages.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 19:18    Post subject: Re: To be, or not to be - the Q87 -WRT1900AC Reply with quote
StFidelis wrote:
From what I can tell, the aforementioned router is NOT in the Router Database.

Howvert, it IS in the wiki list of supported routers. Nonetheless, it does NOT include an "Install Guide" like the others.

So the million dollar question, is there a working and supported version of DD-WRT for this router? All I'm looking to do is increase the antenna strength of the router.

Admittedly, I'm a noob trying to avoid reading the 100 page post which began 22 months ago.

Thanks in advance for your help! I hope to contribute on the subject once I get mine up and running the DD-WRT software.

Thanks again guys (and gals)!

Yep, the router database is a sad joke. I almost gave up looking for decent Open Source software for my WRT1900AC and was on the verge of buying an Asus as a replacement. It was only after stumbling across a forum post and then Googling a file name from the poster's signature, that I discovered 2015 beta firmware repository. Exactly the same story for my WRT610N.

It is unfathomable to me, how such good work, could be "lost" due to such a poor public facing homepage!

BTW, since discovering this "hidden gem", I have been doing my best to spread the word on the official Linksys forum, in order to deliver them from the Belkin firmware Hell Wink
StFidelis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 20:37    Post subject: Re: To be, or not to be - the Q87 -WRT1900AC Reply with quote
Thanks guys!

While doing the back to front approach in that mammoth topic, I did not find what I thought was a helpful guide. I do like the simple guide jsebean posted in another topic and will try to follow it. Thank you.

My biggest concern: seeing so many firmware updates seems like a red flag to turn the other direction. Is this really a viable solution (or more of a headache) for my problem - antenna strength?

I have an 8,000 square foot home on five acres with a sport court and pool. I'm already repeating the signal with a second WRT1900AC (Using a Sonos music system, everything needs to be on the same IP). I'm looking to boost the signals of the two WRT1900AC to create a wifi oasis!

Thanks again guys! Any other info would be greatly appreciated!
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're not going to get better range or performance out of DD-WRT vs. stock. Just boosting gain on the antennas isn't going to improve things, it will probably actually make it worse.

If what you are wanting is a better connection between the two routers but otherwise coverage is fine, you should consider a direct connection between the two routers using directional wireless or ethernet.

If you're trying to augment coverage as well, you'd be better off adding more access points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: