WRT1200AC v1 Flash memory Size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
barryswebb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 14:00    Post subject: WRT1200AC v1 Flash memory Size Reply with quote
I'm trying to install DD-WRT to my WRT1200AC v1. I downloaded the two .bin files from:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/01-29-2019-r38507/linksys-wrt1200ac/

and flashed using factory-to-ddwrt.bin. But it didn't take. When it restarted it still had the original Linksys firmware. I downloaded the latest stock firmware from Linksys version 1.0.5.187766 and noticed something strange. The size of the latest DD-WRT is 38MB whereas the stock Linksys firmware is only 31.5MB. Now this is not a problem if there is sufficient space to flash the larger firmware. According to the spec. the WRT1200AC v1 has 128MB of Flash split into two partitions of 64MB.

Now I did manage to get DD-WRT installed but only by going back to version r35874 dated May 4, 2018 where both .bin files are 33.3MB

So my question is, do I have a WRT1200AC with only 64MB of Flash memory? Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm happy with the version I have installed but it just seems so weird.

Thanks
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 14:58    Post subject: Re: WRT1200AC v1 Flash memory Size Reply with quote
barryswebb wrote:

Now I did manage to get DD-WRT installed but only by going back to version r35874 dated May 4, 2018 where both .bin files are 33.3MB
Thanks

I seem to remember that the WRT1900AC v1 required a back-level of the Linksys F/W in order to get DD-WRT to install initially. However, once it was on, no problem updating DD-WRT to later versions via Webflash.

Have you tried using Webflash image to upgrade to a later version of DD-WRT?

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/

Last edited by Yemble on Thu Jan 31, 2019 15:58; edited 1 time in total
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
The default flash memory size for a WRT1200AC V1 is 128 MB. I have two 1200 v1 with both running the last release with no problems with memory use.

dd-wrt database lists the following . . .
Linksys WRT1200AC v1
Additional information
Chipset Marvell 88F6820
RAM 512 MB
FLASH 128 MB

See here for more details
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT1200AC#WRT1200AC

Seems that most users installing dd-wrt from factory are finding it necessary to first install an older version of the firmware prior to installing the latest releases. I don't know why exactly but there are threads here on the forum that mention the problem.
barryswebb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have DD-WRT version r35874 dated May 4, 2018 installed so I'll see if I can bring it up to the latest version.

It threw me seeing the stock firmware at 31.5MB. Obviously it's fine to have more Flash memory than you need but it all costs money and typically a manufacturer would use the minimum rather than generously providing not just a spare partition (good for them as well as it means less returned units) but one that is twice the size of the space required for the installed firmware.

But what do I know Very Happy
barryswebb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that didn't work.

I tried to install version r38507 dated January 29, 2019. I'm using Chrome and there is an percentage upload indicator which just sits as 1% and I get the update message appear on screen with the time in seconds counting down.

When I found firmware that did load (r35874) it was pretty quick. Maybe five seconds or so. So this is very strange behavior indeed.

So for what ever reason, the WRT1200AC doesn't want to accept the upload. For the moment I'll stick with r35874

Thanks
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryswebb wrote:
Well that didn't work.

I tried to install version r38507 dated January 29, 2019. I'm using Chrome and there is an percentage upload indicator which just sits as 1% and I get the update message appear on screen with the time in seconds counting down.

When I found firmware that did load (r35874) it was pretty quick. Maybe five seconds or so. So this is very strange behavior indeed.

So for what ever reason, the WRT1200AC doesn't want to accept the upload. For the moment I'll stick with r35874

Thanks

Suggest that you DO NOT use Chrome to upgrade (known issue)!

Try again with either Edge or Firefox.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
barryswebb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can give Edge a go but I did install the previous version using Chrome and that went perfectly.

I just wish I could find out for certain how much Flash is installed without opening the case. I know the specs say 128MB but this is just weird.

I've flashed plenty of devices in my time and I rank this as the strangest so far Smile
barryswebb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
That didn't work. I couldn't even get Edge to talk to the WRT1200AC Sad

And I don't want to install Firefox. I might enable IE in Windows 10 and see how that works.

But for now I'll stick with the version I have running.

Thanks for the help.
surfguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
So my question is, do I have a WRT1200AC with only 64MB of Flash memory? Or am I doing something wrong?

No to both, this seems to be a common issue among all the new wrt devices with DD-WRT from what I can tell, meaning you need an older build of DD-WRT to be able to flash from stock, usually a build from early 2018 or earlier. It does seem to correlate to the size of the DD build, I think if it's over 33mb or something like that it won't take, 32 or so and it will, but why that is I don't know. You should be able to upgrade to the latest DD build once you're on DD.
barryswebb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not that didn't work when I tried. Someone suggested it might be a problem with Chrome. But Edge didn't even give me the DD-WRT router home page! I'm not interested in installing Firefox but i might enable IE11 in Win10 just to see if I can get a new version loaded.

Tis weird though
surfguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you decide to try again you might do this - flash the latest build (from dd), wait 5 minutes, unplug the 1200 for 30 seconds or so, plug back in and see if the flash took, I've had to do that a couple of times.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have yet to run into an issue with a flash via web interface using Firefox. I currently use forks Waterfox and Pale Moon. The fallback then, for me, would be to try an older ESR release (52.x/45.x) then old versions of IE.

Do you think Linksys or DD-WRT GUI are expecting a browser such as Chrome or Edge? Google and Microsoft have a long history of breaking standards while trying to enforce their own.

Microsoft also recently announced plans to move to a Chromium-compatible web platform.

Maybe try a portable version? That way it's just sitting in a self-contained folder and not installed on your system (and isolated from your daily browsing with no add-ons, extensions, plugins etc).

Waterfox Portable 56.2.7.1 (Website)

Pale Moon Portable (Website)

Firefox Portable (Website)

For any browser, make sure any sort of autofill or text form field autocomplete is turned off.

Also be sure to clear all history, time range everything and all checkboxes. You may just run in private browsing mode to avoid this, but I clear it anyway to be safe.

I also disable check for updates, remember logins and spell checking but that's just me.

Last edited by blkt on Mon Feb 04, 2019 23:56; edited 1 time in total
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an ACS V1. What works for me is to first install an older version of the DD-WRT factory-to-ddwrt.bin. Then install the latest webflash upgrade. I personally use r3524 as my initial install. No technical reason for choosing that version. It just works for me.
The stock Linksys firmware has a max size bug that prevents accepting/unpacking firmware files greater than 32MB. The older DDWRT factory-to-ddwrt bins are ~ 30 MB. The new ones are > 32 MB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: