Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Author Message
Fez27
DD-WRT User


Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 91
Location: South Africa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:40    Post subject: Re: Help installing Marvell 88F6820 firmware to WRT1200AC Reply with quote
shaunm001 wrote:
Tried installing the factory-to-wrt.img file dated 2016-01-14 on my WRT1200AC. After about 10 minutes of watching power light continually blink on/off and being unable to ping the router, I figured I needed to power cycle. So did that, but router light just flashes on/off and nothing else. Tried the 30/30/30 reset, tried turning the power off/on 3 times to restore to factory as instructed here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=995338#995338, but still cant get it to come back. Any suggestions?


did u manage to get your router to come back to stock? Assuming you were on stock before?

There are some drastic recovery procedures you can try. Some more intense than others. Usually 1 works. Eg. Bricked my EA6900 trying to go from BS to KONG build. Tried tftp. By just pinging router continually found that the LAN ports were infact responding for a time during boot. Tried about 20 times to put an image of stock I had to change to a .bin file ( if I remember correctly, I need to check that ) was panick stations at the time, and 48 hrs i had bricked it, prob why I cant remember 100%.

Eventually I just kept trying to push it by letting it timeout and push to the router again and then it took. Viola. FIXED... Smile I am a noob and that time I knew nothing... maybe still know nothing LOL

anyways that was a "soft brick" as I understand it and easier to recover.... i have 3 things I do. 1 thing i learnt... CLEAR browsing history, suspect the above was because of corrupted download or corrupted in the flashing process...

1) Reset to factory defaults on stock.
2) Before downloading the DD build (.img file). CLEAR browsing history..
3) Once ready with build to flash. CLEAR browsing history again before flashing.

Once you on DD and u wanna upgrade. U can use putty and SSH in and check what partition you are in and then change the boot sector to the other partition. (If u in stock partition and DD is on the other, click restore previous firmware to go to DD)

The restart and it will boot to stock and u can repeat the trick

Or you can just flash a .bin file from DD. Same as above applies. But this will result in you having DD on both partitions. Kong has DD to factory files on Desipro *smile* just in case u wanna go back to stock.

.bin files are for flashing from DD to DD.
.img files are for stock to DD.

This applies to these routers and changes per manufacturer as I understand it. Eg Netgear uses .chk files.

If you worried about corrupted downloads there is usually a facility to check the "hash checksums" of the downloaded file to confirm is exactly correct but clearing browsing history usually prevents this as I understand.

Theres a lot of good info on the forum just jumbled. If u read enough u can almost always find the answer really

_________________
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17)
SAMBA server
OPENVPN - IPVanish
Sponsor
supaiku
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 28 Apr 2016
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made the mistake of flashing a bin (instead of an image) to the WRT1200AC and now it seems bricked (flashing power light, only cabled network light blinking).

haven't gotten a ttf cable yet, but was hoping the power switching thing (3 times repeated after light switches off) would work for me... Doesn't seem to.

Did the bin I loaded overwrite the second partition or something? I just flashed the bin through the web interface... Any ideas?
LucasMoon
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just download the latest Kong's 29750

I still have linksys latest build on my wrt1900ac

Can i just upload and install this build or do i have to do something before that?

Thank you!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4339
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
supaiku wrote:
I made the mistake of flashing a bin (instead of an image) to the WRT1200AC and now it seems bricked (flashing power light, only cabled network light blinking).

haven't gotten a ttf cable yet, but was hoping the power switching thing (3 times repeated after light switches off) would work for me... Doesn't seem to.

Did the bin I loaded overwrite the second partition or something? I just flashed the bin through the web interface... Any ideas?


What you mean you flashed a bin?
Linksys FW oes not accept a bin, only the appropriate .img, dd-wrt on the otherhand is upgraded by using the correct bin.

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
LucasMoon
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
So basically install

1. install: factory-to-ddwrt.img
2. then install : ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900ac.bin the latest that was posted yesterday and do a full reboot on the router.

yeah?

<Kong> wrote:
supaiku wrote:
I made the mistake of flashing a bin (instead of an image) to the WRT1200AC and now it seems bricked (flashing power light, only cabled network light blinking).

haven't gotten a ttf cable yet, but was hoping the power switching thing (3 times repeated after light switches off) would work for me... Doesn't seem to.

Did the bin I loaded overwrite the second partition or something? I just flashed the bin through the web interface... Any ideas?


What you mean you flashed a bin?
Linksys FW oes not accept a bin, only the appropriate .img, dd-wrt on the otherhand is upgraded by using the correct bin.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
supaiku wrote:
I made the mistake of flashing a bin (instead of an image) to the WRT1200AC and now it seems bricked (flashing power light, only cabled network light blinking).

haven't gotten a ttf cable yet, but was hoping the power switching thing (3 times repeated after light switches off) would work for me... Doesn't seem to.

Did the bin I loaded overwrite the second partition or something? I just flashed the bin through the web interface... Any ideas?


What you mean you flashed a bin?
Linksys FW oes not accept a bin, only the appropriate .img, dd-wrt on the otherhand is upgraded by using the correct bin.


He doesn't say,but I would assume he had DD-WRT installed and then did an install from within DD-WRT. Therefore the .bin file.
--bill

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 609
Location: Yorkshire (GOC)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
supaiku wrote:
I made the mistake of flashing a bin (instead of an image) to the WRT1200AC and now it seems bricked (flashing power light, only cabled network light blinking).

haven't gotten a ttf cable yet, but was hoping the power switching thing (3 times repeated after light switches off) would work for me... Doesn't seem to.

Did the bin I loaded overwrite the second partition or something? I just flashed the bin through the web interface... Any ideas?


Try pressing the factory reset button, prior to doing the "power switching thing".
moccolo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Feb 2016
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
supaiku wrote:
I made the mistake of flashing a bin (instead of an image) to the WRT1200AC and now it seems bricked (flashing power light, only cabled network light blinking).

haven't gotten a ttf cable yet, but was hoping the power switching thing (3 times repeated after light switches off) would work for me... Doesn't seem to.

Did the bin I loaded overwrite the second partition or something? I just flashed the bin through the web interface... Any ideas?


What you mean you flashed a bin?
Linksys FW oes not accept a bin, only the appropriate .img, dd-wrt on the otherhand is upgraded by using the correct bin.


He doesn't say,but I would assume he had DD-WRT installed and then did an install from within DD-WRT. Therefore the .bin file.
--bill


from what i get it, he flashed one partition with factory to DD-wrt... and then flashed ddwrt from dd-wrt, thus, eraising the second boot... and this is why it dosnt work...

correct me if im wrong (im waiting my router, bought it two days ago), when you install DD-WRT, you install it from original firmware the first time with factory-to-DD-wrt.

when you want to upgrade DD-WRT you enter AGAIN in ORIGINAL FW, and flash from there to update the DD-WRT FW fith the normal DD-WRT file.

IS my logic correct??
moccolo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Feb 2016
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
can anyone of the DD-WRT guru's confirm what i wrote one post before? Or I got everything wrong...
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@moccolo
Yes your logic is correct. First time from the Linksys UI use the .img file for your specific router. This will load DD-WRT into the second partition leaving the Linksys partition intact, which can provide a fallback in the case of a bad flash.

Your suggested way of upgrading is what I do, as it keeps the Linksys partition intact and in case of a bad flash a place you can get back to. Just make sure you are using the .img file when flashing from the Linksys UI. Some folks will say they just use the .bin file through the DD-WRT interface, but this overwrites the Linksys partition.

So yes you are correct in your thinking.

--bill

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
moccolo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Feb 2016
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
thx myersw for your answer... wasn't sure about everything...

moccolo
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 609
Location: Yorkshire (GOC)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
@moccolo
Yes your logic is correct. First time from the Linksys UI use the .img file for your specific router. This will load DD-WRT into the second partition leaving the Linksys partition intact, which can provide a fallback in the case of a bad flash.

Your suggested way of upgrading is what I do, as it keeps the Linksys partition intact and in case of a bad flash a place you can get back to. Just make sure you are using the .img file when flashing from the Linksys UI. Some folks will say they just use the .bin file through the DD-WRT interface, but this overwrites the Linksys partition.

So yes you are correct in your thinking.

--bill


I disagree. The implication is that upgrading from Kong --> Kong directly, via the BIN file, does not work. Sorry, but that is not the case, it works perfectly. I know, because that's the way that I upgrade to retain my settings.

Sure, it switches to the other partition, but so what? Two Kong's is better than a Kong plus a Linksys in my book Laughing
moccolo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Feb 2016
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
myersw wrote:
@moccolo
Yes your logic is correct. First time from the Linksys UI use the .img file for your specific router. This will load DD-WRT into the second partition leaving the Linksys partition intact, which can provide a fallback in the case of a bad flash.

Your suggested way of upgrading is what I do, as it keeps the Linksys partition intact and in case of a bad flash a place you can get back to. Just make sure you are using the .img file when flashing from the Linksys UI. Some folks will say they just use the .bin file through the DD-WRT interface, but this overwrites the Linksys partition.

So yes you are correct in your thinking.

--bill


I disagree. The implication is that upgrading from Kong --> Kong directly, via the BIN file, does not work. Sorry, but that is not the case, it works perfectly. I know, because that's the way that I upgrade to retain my settings.

Sure, it switches to the other partition, but so what? Two Kong's is better than a Kong plus a Linksys in my book Laughing


yes but then with my logic you need to do two flashes with Factory_to_dd-wrt.bin ... so both partitions are ready to be on dd-wrt
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 609
Location: Yorkshire (GOC)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
moccolo wrote:
Yemble wrote:
myersw wrote:
@moccolo
Yes your logic is correct. First time from the Linksys UI use the .img file for your specific router. This will load DD-WRT into the second partition leaving the Linksys partition intact, which can provide a fallback in the case of a bad flash.

Your suggested way of upgrading is what I do, as it keeps the Linksys partition intact and in case of a bad flash a place you can get back to. Just make sure you are using the .img file when flashing from the Linksys UI. Some folks will say they just use the .bin file through the DD-WRT interface, but this overwrites the Linksys partition.

So yes you are correct in your thinking.

--bill


I disagree. The implication is that upgrading from Kong --> Kong directly, via the BIN file, does not work. Sorry, but that is not the case, it works perfectly. I know, because that's the way that I upgrade to retain my settings.

Sure, it switches to the other partition, but so what? Two Kong's is better than a Kong plus a Linksys in my book Laughing


yes but then with my logic you need to do two flashes with Factory_to_dd-wrt.bin ... so both partitions are ready to be on dd-wrt


Nope, never needed to do that!
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
myersw wrote:
@moccolo
Yes your logic is correct. First time from the Linksys UI use the .img file for your specific router. This will load DD-WRT into the second partition leaving the Linksys partition intact, which can provide a fallback in the case of a bad flash.

Your suggested way of upgrading is what I do, as it keeps the Linksys partition intact and in case of a bad flash a place you can get back to. Just make sure you are using the .img file when flashing from the Linksys UI. Some folks will say they just use the .bin file through the DD-WRT interface, but this overwrites the Linksys partition.

So yes you are correct in your thinking.

--bill


I disagree. The implication is that upgrading from Kong --> Kong directly, via the BIN file, does not work. Sorry, but that is not the case, it works perfectly. I know, because that's the way that I upgrade to retain my settings.

Sure, it switches to the other partition, but so what? Two Kong's is better than a Kong plus a Linksys in my book Laughing


This is a case of to each his own. I personally like having the Linksys OEM firmware available. Right now I am running Openwrt as it is performing better for me then Kong with the same wireless drivers, and yes I tried the latest one, 5/29.

--bill

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 19
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum