Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Author Message
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 983
Location: South of Heaven, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
MythotiK wrote:
So with my WRT1200AC v1, I can initially use the .img file to flash...Then can I use the .bin file from there via the linksys interface??


Don't pay too much attention to the file extensions.

It's one file per flash. If this is your first dd-wrt install or you are otherwise upgrading firmware from the Linksys Graphic User Interface (GUI) use the 'factory to dd-wrt' file.

If you already have dd-wrt installed and you want to upgrade from the dd-wrt GUI use the 'dd-wrt webflash' file.

_________________
DD-WRT Installation & Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
Sponsor
Wolfeman0101
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 Oct 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ran ubootenv get boot_part and I was on partition 2. I switched back to partition 1 and it was just an old build of DD-WRT. What did I do wrong?
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 983
Location: South of Heaven, USA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wolfeman0101 wrote:
I ran ubootenv get boot_part and I was on partition 2. I switched back to partition 1 and it was just an old build of DD-WRT. What did I do wrong?


Nothing wrong. It seems that at some point in the past DD-WRT was flahed to both partitions.

_________________
DD-WRT Installation & Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
carterhayes
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
MythotiK wrote:
So with my WRT1200AC v1, I can initially use the .img file to flash...Then can I use the .bin file from there via the linksys interface??


Don't pay too much attention to the file extensions.

It's one file per flash. If this is your first dd-wrt install or you are otherwise upgrading firmware from the Linksys Graphic User Interface (GUI) use the 'factory to dd-wrt' file.

If you already have dd-wrt installed and you want to upgrade from the dd-wrt GUI use the 'dd-wrt webflash' file.


I tried to install the factory to DDWRT.bin file but when it reboots it doesn't load the DDWRT but just goes back to stock Linksys.
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 983
Location: South of Heaven, USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I tried to install the factory to DDWRT.bin file but when it reboots it doesn't load the DDWRT but just goes back to stock Linksys.


Try resetting your router before you install DD-WRT this time. Sometimes you need to downgrade the Linksys Stock Firmware before DD-WRT will take.

I can't remember for sure, but I believe you can reset from Linksys GUI.
If not, just hold reset button for 20 seconds with power ON.

Also, you may not get the DD-WRT GUI after reboot until you close your browser and go back to 192.168.1.1

_________________
DD-WRT Installation & Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
carterhayes
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Quote:
I tried to install the factory to DDWRT.bin file but when it reboots it doesn't load the DDWRT but just goes back to stock Linksys.


Try resetting your router before you install DD-WRT this time. Sometimes you need to downgrade the Linksys Stock Firmware before DD-WRT will take.

I can't remember for sure, but I believe you can reset from Linksys GUI.
If not, just hold reset button for 20 seconds with power ON.

Also, you may not get the DD-WRT GUI after reboot until you close your browser and go back to 192.168.1.1


Thanks
I'm running this 1.1.10.182461 latest linksys firmware. Which one should I downgrade to?
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 983
Location: South of Heaven, USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you reset the router it will be the Linksys Firmware version that was out at the time your router was built.
More than likely - the first version Linksys ever put out for that router.

If you have a choice, go with the earliest version you have access to.

_________________
DD-WRT Installation & Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
carterhayes
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
If you reset the router it will be the Linksys Firmware version that was out at the time your router was built.
More than likely - the first version Linksys ever put out for that router.

If you have a choice, go with the earliest version you have access to.


Thanks did that and DD WRT is loaded. Only problem is now I can't get onto the internet even though the lights on the front are blue.

Is there anyway to brighten the lights on the front. They are very dim.
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 983
Location: South of Heaven, USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, no. There is no setting or adjustment for LED brightness.

Now that you've got DD-WRT installed - you have to set it up. While DD-WRT is relatively easy to configure - It isn't like stock firmware in it's simplicity to setup & use for even the most novice. It does give you much more control as well as many more options.

I don't have time at the moment to write up a First Time Setup Tutorial (something I have been meaning to do), but I'm sure you can find something to help get you started on the Forum or elsewhere online.

Good luck!

_________________
DD-WRT Installation & Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
carterhayes
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Unfortunately, no. There is no setting or adjustment for LED brightness.

Now that you've got DD-WRT installed - you have to set it up. While DD-WRT is relatively easy to configure - It isn't like stock firmware in it's simplicity to setup & use for even the most novice. It does give you much more control as well as many more options.

I don't have time at the moment to write up a First Time Setup Tutorial (something I have been meaning to do), but I'm sure you can find something to help get you started on the Forum or elsewhere online.

Good luck!


Thanks. How do I revert back to the stock Linksys firmware? I flashed KOngs DDWRT to factory but nothing happened.
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 983
Location: South of Heaven, USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You just upload the Linksys Stock Firmware in Administration Tab - Firmware Upgrade Sub-Tab in the DD-WRT GUI.
Exactly the same as a 'dd-wrt webflash.bin' upgrade from within DD-WRT.

For that one I would select a reset, just to be safe & hopefully prevent any problems.
Then update Linksys Firmware after returning.

*This feature was only recently added on. You have to be on one of the latest DD-WRT builds. (last 3 or 4 newest - I think)

_________________
DD-WRT Installation & Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
sir topham hatt
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

After many years on stock firmware on my wrt1900ac, i finally decided to install the dd-wrt firmware. I love all the extra features it includes, but am having a problem. The router will, seemly random, stop all traffic and then reboot itself. this whole process can take up to 4 minutes until internet it restored and affects my entire network. It seems to do it during high volume traffic mostly, but it will also do it while not much is going on beside my son streaming a show (hes 2 and flips out when it cuts out because the router is rebooting).

I'm not sure if i need to turn the log on, but when i go to the log it says theres no entrees. Does anyone know why this might be happening? in the month or so i've had the latest version of dd-wrt installed, its done it maybe a dozen times.
jackspratUK
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Posts: 13
Location: St Albans, UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
sir topham hatt wrote:
Hi Guys,

After many years on stock firmware on my wrt1900ac, i finally decided to install the dd-wrt firmware. I love all the extra features it includes, but am having a problem. The router will, seemly random, stop all traffic and then reboot itself. this whole process can take up to 4 minutes until internet it restored and affects my entire network. It seems to do it during high volume traffic mostly, but it will also do it while not much is going on beside my son streaming a show (hes 2 and flips out when it cuts out because the router is rebooting).

I'm not sure if i need to turn the log on, but when i go to the log it says theres no entrees. Does anyone know why this might be happening? in the month or so i've had the latest version of dd-wrt installed, its done it maybe a dozen times.
Which build of DD-WRT are you using and which version of the WRT1900AC do you have?

I would check out this thread: https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311737
MCT
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I'm looking for the .bin file for 1900acs v2. The link in the downloads page doesnt work. Can anyone help?
Thanks
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 983
Location: South of Heaven, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
MCT wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for the .bin file for 1900acs v2. The link in the downloads page doesnt work. Can anyone help?
Thanks


Everything you need is in this post:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

_________________
DD-WRT Installation & Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum