Minor Upgrade Bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
MacMurdo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 22:21    Post subject: Router Location Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
The first thing you should do is consider where the wireless router needs to be in order to provide the best coverage, vs. letting your cable modem ingress determine its location.

You can always run a longer cable or even get a wired router and just use the wireless router as an AP.

I've got so much CAT5E and coax running through this house my family thought I was crazy... but you know what... don't have to keep my router in a peculiar location and have gigabit ethernet in just about every room Razz

The only drawback we have now is the 5Mbit ADSL line is the best we can get Razz

Anyway, in reply to MacMurdo:
1. You're missing your DFS channels. May be the region you have selected.
2. Enable SSH.d in Services tab. I normally just use TTY but last I tried SSH was working for me (although I'm now no longer on latest build since USB does not work).
3. It's a self signed certificate. What do you expect?
4. Unless your temperatures go haywire because it's dying don't worry about it. The router is designed to handle CPU temp up to 100-115 degrees. Brainslayer elaborated on it earlier in the thread here. As for bandwidth average... it's normal. Start transferring a large file and watch it go up.

And in regards to the 5GHz LED from OP... I don't believe it illuminates until you have a client connected to it.

@jsebean thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately when I built this house in 2007, I didn't think about the implications of having all my cat5 gather in the basement, in the panel where my cable comes in. Seemed logical at the time since wifi wasn't so robust/fast.

I have several gigabit switches immediately after my wifi router to distribute the LAN, and I believe (please tell me if I'm wrong) that my WAN output from my modem has to talk to the router to distribute my internet to my devices. If I understand correctly, if I place my 1900AC in an upstairs location connected back to my switch by cat5, the 1900AC won't be able to assign local IPs to anything connected by cable since I would have to have connected the router using its WAN port. Is that correct?

I suppose I could set up another router at the panel but use the 1900AC as an AP for wifi... I have a gen 2 Apple Airport Extreme (not the newest AC version) that I could put into service at the modem only as a router and set up the wifi upstairs?

I'm interested in y'alls thoughts.
Sponsor
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:35    Post subject: Re: Router Location Reply with quote
MacMurdo wrote:
jsebean wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
The first thing you should do is consider where the wireless router needs to be in order to provide the best coverage, vs. letting your cable modem ingress determine its location.

You can always run a longer cable or even get a wired router and just use the wireless router as an AP.

I've got so much CAT5E and coax running through this house my family thought I was crazy... but you know what... don't have to keep my router in a peculiar location and have gigabit ethernet in just about every room Razz

The only drawback we have now is the 5Mbit ADSL line is the best we can get Razz

Anyway, in reply to MacMurdo:
1. You're missing your DFS channels. May be the region you have selected.
2. Enable SSH.d in Services tab. I normally just use TTY but last I tried SSH was working for me (although I'm now no longer on latest build since USB does not work).
3. It's a self signed certificate. What do you expect?
4. Unless your temperatures go haywire because it's dying don't worry about it. The router is designed to handle CPU temp up to 100-115 degrees. Brainslayer elaborated on it earlier in the thread here. As for bandwidth average... it's normal. Start transferring a large file and watch it go up.

And in regards to the 5GHz LED from OP... I don't believe it illuminates until you have a client connected to it.

@jsebean thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately when I built this house in 2007, I didn't think about the implications of having all my cat5 gather in the basement, in the panel where my cable comes in. Seemed logical at the time since wifi wasn't so robust/fast.

I have several gigabit switches immediately after my wifi router to distribute the LAN, and I believe (please tell me if I'm wrong) that my WAN output from my modem has to talk to the router to distribute my internet to my devices. If I understand correctly, if I place my 1900AC in an upstairs location connected back to my switch by cat5, the 1900AC won't be able to assign local IPs to anything connected by cable since I would have to have connected the router using its WAN port. Is that correct?

I suppose I could set up another router at the panel but use the 1900AC as an AP for wifi... I have a gen 2 Apple Airport Extreme (not the newest AC version) that I could put into service at the modem only as a router and set up the wifi upstairs?

I'm interested in y'alls thoughts.

If I were in that situation I'd likely use the WRT1900AC for my router in the basement, but I'd disable the wifi. I'd instead pick up a UBNT AP (because I love their APs and have a bunch here anyway Razz) and put it upstairs for wifi. Of course... a DD-WRT router running as an AP only in bridge mode would do the trick.

Alternatively, if you have a cable modem for example... and you have cable wiring as well you could take the modem upstairs, run your router upstairs too and just plug into the switch in the wall port. Just ensure wherever you move your modem the cable port is on the modem side of the splitter.

If it's DSL you could do the same. Just be wary that some DSL connections use a POTS Splitter so the DSL only works on one designated phone jack. You'd have to swap that out in the POTS splitter.

If you happen to have 2 ethernet jacks in the wall like I do (because I like overkill Razz) then one could be plugged into your modem... to your router and the router could then connect to another port connected to the switch.

Anyway... lots of options. Some harder than others and all based on your circumstances. Have at it Razz

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd definitely look at using the Airport as a standalone router and move the WRT upstairs as an AP. You'll get much better coverage with that configuration.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or use the Airport as AP and WRT1900AC as router. Because DD-WRT is awesome in it's features like QOS Razz ... I don't know the features of the airport (never had one).
OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
MacMurdo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 17:53    Post subject: Locating 1900AC - further issues Reply with quote
So, I have put the Airport Extreme back into service as the router (I only needed 3 of its Gigabit ports to distribute to my switches. I've moved the 1900AC up to main floor and connected to the wired LAN via one of its switched ports (I tried using the WAN port but it didn't connect to internet).

I noticed since I was now looking at the 1900AC that the 5 GHz indicator is not lit (I didn't have time to rename the 5 SSID to see if it is actually transmitting and connectable yet). Assuming that it is not transmitting, what do I need to do to get it to work? The earlier posts at this thread said "make changes in setting" but didn't really spell out what changes...

I had hoped that I would still be able to access the dd-wrt dashboard remotely from my office, but I guess I need to port forward at the Airport Extreme in order to do that?

Thoughts?
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reason I suggested using the WRT1900AC as the AP is because it has pretty good wireless performance and range, definitely superior to the APE.

In stock firmware, the wireless indicators did not light up unless there was something connected. Just being "on" didn't light the LED. If you haven't changed the SSID and/or PSK so that devices can connect, that's likely the reason it's not lit.

And yes, you'll have to port forward on the APE to be able to access the WRT remotely. Just make sure you change the service port so that there's no conflicts between the WRT and APE.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
The reason I suggested using the WRT1900AC as the AP is because it has pretty good wireless performance and range, definitely superior to the APE.

In stock firmware, the wireless indicators did not light up unless there was something connected. Just being "on" didn't light the LED. If you haven't changed the SSID and/or PSK so that devices can connect, that's likely the reason it's not lit.

And yes, you'll have to port forward on the APE to be able to access the WRT remotely. Just make sure you change the service port so that there's no conflicts between the WRT and APE.

I also thought the 1900AC would do better as wifi source. I will test whether I'm connected when I get back home, but I would have expected that my iPhone 6 had auto connected since I used the same SSID and security as previously. I was browsing internet via phone and watching the indicators and saw no action.

Can you be more specific about the ports and conflicts? Which should I avoid using? How would I know if there was a conflict?

Thanks...
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you enable HTTPS access to the AP Extreme, you will connect to it via the WAN IP address on TCP port 443.

If you then enable HTTPS access on the WRT and create a port forwarding rule, it will default to port 443. All incoming packets on port 443 will be forwarded to the WRT, so you won't be able to connect to the AP Extreme at all from outside.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
If you enable HTTPS access to the AP Extreme, you will connect to it via the WAN IP address on TCP port 443.

If you then enable HTTPS access on the WRT and create a port forwarding rule, it will default to port 443. All incoming packets on port 443 will be forwarded to the WRT, so you won't be able to connect to the AP Extreme at all from outside.

So run it on a different port Razz

htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
htismaqe wrote:

So run it on a different port Razz

Um that's what I was telling him to do. Razz

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 14:56    Post subject: 5 GHz issue Reply with quote
So I thank y'all for the suggestions. I'm still working on how to remote access via WAN.

I do want to report that I believe there is still a bug in the Ath1 5 GHz settings. If I leave the settings to Auto channel and by default Auto extension, my radio does NOT consistently broadcast the SSID. It will sometimes show up in some devices, but not all the time. I tested this with a 2nd name for the 5 GHz network.

(Incidentally, I had this same issue with a recent build on a LinkSys E3000... the 5GHz SSID would not show up in some devices.)

If I choose a specific channel I can see the SSID from my devices.

If this has been reported before, just ignore my post.

Also, what exactly happens with enabling USB in the new builds? I have a USB drive plugged into the port, but have not actuated the USB settings in dd-wrt because I read the word "bricked" earlier...
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 17:08    Post subject: Re: 5 GHz issue Reply with quote
MacMurdo wrote:
So I thank y'all for the suggestions. I'm still working on how to remote access via WAN.

I do want to report that I believe there is still a bug in the Ath1 5 GHz settings. If I leave the settings to Auto channel and by default Auto extension, my radio does NOT consistently broadcast the SSID. It will sometimes show up in some devices, but not all the time. I tested this with a 2nd name for the 5 GHz network.

(Incidentally, I had this same issue with a recent build on a LinkSys E3000... the 5GHz SSID would not show up in some devices.)

If I choose a specific channel I can see the SSID from my devices.

If this has been reported before, just ignore my post.

Also, what exactly happens with enabling USB in the new builds? I have a USB drive plugged into the port, but have not actuated the USB settings in dd-wrt because I read the word "bricked" earlier...

If you enable Web GUI feature on DD-WRT... you can set which port it runs on. You then port forward your DD-WRT router on the Airport and access it via WAN. Eg. If you home's IP was 123.123.123.123 and the port you set was 8080, you'd forward that port and access it 123.123.123.123:8080 on the far end.

The new builds up to and including the one released on the 5th by BrainSlayer (r28444) has a USB bug where it bricks the router if enabled. However, a recent code change fixes this issue and the next BS build should have it fixed. If you want the fix now, I am running Kong's PTB which is linked in my signature if you wish to flash it. USB works fine for me Smile

As for 5GHz... unfortunately for me I have not a single 5GHz AC device so I cannot say how stable it is or not.

htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I find both bands to be extremely stable, as well as the router overall, running Kong r28320. I'm very pleased with DD-WRT at this point.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 18:15    Post subject: VPN on virtual interface Reply with quote
@jsebean thanks for your replies and suggestions. I can't seem to get this to work... probably because I'm not very savvy in networking setup.

I also thought about your other ideas regarding VPN on a virtual interface and tried setting that up. I got totally messed up and had to reset everything. I attempted first to setup the Guest access via virtual interface, and although the network functioned following posted rules, it did not have internet access.

Adding the second virtual interface for the VPN connection was a total fail.

I also setup OpenVPN on the 1900AC to a private VPN service that I use, that I had working on a separate router previously, daisy chained to my primary router, but I can't see how to send it through the Apple Airport Extreme which is my primary router at the cable modem.

I know this is probably the wrong thread to keep up this discussion, so I am open to moving it elsewhere...
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: