Asus RT-AC87U bug reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
pepsinio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
pepsinio wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
the quantenna chipset is a black box. it has a own cpu and a own closed source firmware. so from our side we can only hope if the quantenna is doing what its made for

The quantenna SDK can be found here in case you don't know it yet(which i doubt in general Smile):
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/R7500-and_qtn_gpl_src_V1.0.0.94.zip
Bw,
Peter

I already looked at it and already experimented with it, that's also the reason why I said that it is rather unlikely, that the qtn radio in the R7500v1 will be supported.

I know all wireless sdks and this is the biggest crap I have seen so far. I'm sure oems have the same opinion and most likely won't use any qtn radios anymore.

Thanks for the info Kong. It's highly appreciated.
I have a suggestion: As an output of this discussion to add in the wiki against this model that it will not be supported and some brief explanation (as you and BrainSlayer described) why. It will reduce significantly the inquires from people interested in this subject. This router on paper is really good and (like me) many people will fall into the trap of buying R7500. I am sure such info would help them to be more aware of their choice. Apology for writing in this thread.

Bw,
Peter
Sponsor
keda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:35    Post subject: Quantenna 5GHz radio VAP's unusable Reply with quote
I tested DD-wrt and Asus-Merlin on the RT-AC87U. The goal was to have additional VAP's (virtual access points)on both radios. The VAP's should have a different IP Range as the privat network. This all is running smoothly using DNSMasq on the 2.4GHz Broadcom radio. However, it was not possible to use DNSMasq with the 5GHz Quantenna radio. So it was not possible to assign a different ip range to the VAP's of the Quantenna radio.

I figured out that the the radio wl1 (which is assigned to 5GHz) is not listed unter interfaces when issueing the command ifconfig. This is possibly due to the way how the QT3840BC is integrated (https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-ac87u)

When creating a VAP (wl1.1) with the 5GHz Quantenna radio it is showing up but it is pretty much indentical to the main radio (wl1.0). So all the VAP feature is pretty much forlorn hope.

Is there any chance that this is going to be working in a future release or is it rather likely that there is nothing changing? As it is possible to create a VAP on wl1 it must be somehow possible to issue the right commands for dnsmasq and bridging.

VAP's of wl1 do not show up under networking (bridging and dhcp)!
keda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
the quantenna chipset is a black box. it has a own cpu and a own closed source firmware. so from our side we can only hope if the quantenna is doing what its made for

Here Asus announces a new SDK for the 5GHz driver. Post 4978:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/%5Bmaylyns-review%5D-asus-rt-ac87u-4781419-332.html

Maybe this brings some light into the black box. I checked the download page of Asus but the last SDK release was prior to the announcement.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC87U/GPL_RT_AC87U_30043789313.zip

So I guess we still have to wait.
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
keda wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

Here Asus announces a new SDK for the 5GHz driver. Post 4978:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/%5Bmaylyns-review%5D-asus-rt-ac87u-4781419-332.html

Maybe this brings some light into the black box. I checked the download page of Asus but the last SDK release was prior to the announcement.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC87U/GPL_RT_AC87U_30043789313.zip

So I guess we still have to wait.

THis is hopefully good news for BS and Kong, can this help you guys gain access to the features for this chipset?

-Thanks again.

Latest and greatest builds Wink
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus-merlin is Open Source and it works fine with the qtn chipset and even has qtn in its github. Could dd-wrt just adapt their work to make the qtn chipset work in dd-wrt?

Yes I know that asus-merlin is based on the official asus firmware but is that a deal breaker?

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/tree/master/release/src/router
keda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
PITABoy wrote:
Asus-merlin is Open Source and it works fine with the qtn chipset and even has qtn in its github. Could dd-wrt just adapt their work to make the qtn chipset work in dd-wrt?

Yes I know that asus-merlin is based on the official asus firmware but is that a deal breaker?

In case you are just using basic features it is working but dd-wrt and Asus-Merlin are designed for people who look for advanced features. And thats were problems occur with the Quantenna SoC. See my post above for an example.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
PITABoy wrote:

No it does not work fine. Just look at smallnetbuilder forums, it is full of users which complain about 5G in Asus and the R7500v1, no matter if it is asus,rmerlin or netgear firmware.

The way the qtn driver is designed is complete trash, it even works differently in netgear and the asus unit. If you think asus/rmerlin firmware works fine, then use it, but don't wait for a stable dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt version, for that qtn would have to rework their driver e.g. use standard linux wireless extensions etc.

Why do you think all newer models ship 2 atheros 2.4G and 5G) radios now?
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
so if i was going to buy an ASUS RT-AC87U and put DD-WRT on it i shouldnt?
what router would be preferable then? the ASUS RT-AC88u?
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I run dd-wrt on 66, 68 and 87. I have no issues with any of them.

However the bugs mentioned are indeed accurate.

The 5ghz radios on the 87u is working enough to connect with and utilize up to high performance AC clients. I find Wifi coverage is the best on the 87u out of all 3.

Latest and greatest builds Wink
arneande
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 16:34    Post subject: Mobilbroadband Reply with quote
Hey

am dont try because am dissapointed evrytime sins 13/11-15
the images have no mobilebroadband. Its not only asus its the build am think, because am tried other ruters to , so how longtime its gone take hope its not only me that have this issue.

regards
arneade
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
stephensuley wrote:
I run dd-wrt on 66, 68 and 87. I have no issues with any of them.

However the bugs mentioned are indeed accurate.

The 5ghz radios on the 87u is working enough to connect with and utilize up to high performance AC clients. I find Wifi coverage is the best on the 87u out of all 3.

thanks,
Im after a router that is stable with DD-WRT, can be a vpn client and server with decent wifi (for phones/tablets) although wifi isnt my top priority as most of my network will be wired and id look at some loco m2's or similar for wifi outside the home.
what build do you run on your 87u?
morsecode
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I would much appreciate if someone could help with the following problem:

On the RT-AC87U, I don't seem to be able to switch off 5GHz radio (setting Wireless Network Mode to: Disabled). Although displayed as "disabled", wifi is still on. Checked on all recent firmwares (current 02-23-2016-r29147), reinstalled, reset, erased nvram several times to no avail.

Can anyone confirm same results, and perhaps a solution? Many thanks.
RouterGuard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
morsecode wrote:
Hi,

I would much appreciate if someone could help with the following problem:

On the RT-AC87U, I don't seem to be able to switch off 5GHz radio (setting Wireless Network Mode to: Disabled). Although displayed as "disabled", wifi is still on. Checked on all recent firmwares (current 02-23-2016-r29147), reinstalled, reset, erased nvram several times to no avail.

Can anyone confirm same results, and perhaps a solution? Many thanks.

I also cannot get the 5ghz to turn off.
Using GUI:
- setting Wireless Network Mode to Disabled, or
- radio scheduling with Always Off or
- TX power to 1

5ghz light will turn off for 60 seconds, then turn back on. Using smart phone to check 5ghz band, I can still see it and connect to it.

Using ASUS RT-AC87U. Installed 6/1/2018 (Build 36079).
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: