Do I need a new build?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
tygerr
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:48    Post subject: Do I need a new build? Reply with quote
Apologies if this is a very silly question...

I've been using a Linksys E2000 successfully now for over a year since flashing with DD-WRT build v24-sp2 rev 15962.

It's extremely stable and performs way better than the TP-Link router I was previously using.
However, my TP-Link router was constantly prompting me to do firmware/software upgrades because of security threats, etc.

Due to all of the warnings around following proper procedures when flashing DD-WRT and not using the wrong builds at the risk of bricking devices, I've been hesitant to upgrade/re-flash my E2000, especially when it's running smoothly and doing what I need it to do.

However, lately I've been wondering whether I should be upgrading to the latest builds. Am I missing out on security enhancements/patches or any other necessary functionality by using such an old build?
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Dec 2013
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:45    Post subject: Re: Do I need a new build? Reply with quote
tygerr wrote:
Apologies if this is a very silly question...

I've been using a Linksys E2000 successfully now for over a year since flashing with DD-WRT build v24-sp2 rev 15962.

It's extremely stable and performs way better than the TP-Link router I was previously using.
However, my TP-Link router was constantly prompting me to do firmware/software upgrades because of security threats, etc.

Due to all of the warnings around following proper procedures when flashing DD-WRT and not using the wrong builds at the risk of bricking devices, I've been hesitant to upgrade/re-flash my E2000, especially when it's running smoothly and doing what I need it to do.

However, lately I've been wondering whether I should be upgrading to the latest builds. Am I missing out on security enhancements/patches or any other necessary functionality by using such an old build?




Oh lord that is old firmware but there was security issues in the old builds like KRACK attack which was patched. Not sure on this month's latest build because since some firmwares broke the wifi feature completely.


This is where I got my info from. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000

According to this site you need to flash the trailed (Which is made specific for this router) build first which is this file.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/10-10-2017-r33492/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-33492_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2000.bin

This next firmware here has been tested and confirmed to work on yours which was release in October 9th~10th of last year. BUT you need to have the dd-wrt.v24-33492_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2000.bin needs to be running first. The mega just has more features.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/10-10-2017-r33492/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-33492_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin



Just flash these files from the dd-wrt webgui which is usually at 192.168.1.1 or whatever you set it to login into the dd-wrt setup page.
tygerr
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 20:38    Post subject: Re: Do I need a new build? Reply with quote
flood404 wrote:
Oh lord that is old firmware


Haha - vintage.

I updated it 33492 Mega as per your instructions - all seems to be working perfectly.
At least I'm closer to current now.
Thanks very much for your help
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 1998
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:42    Post subject: Build Threads Reply with quote
The best is to go through the build threads, starting at the newest and working backwards. Search for the model of the router on each page. As mentioned, all of the April builds and so far May (as of May 9 as well) have broken wifi on Broadcom (your router).

The wiki is meant to show you the procedure. I try to never link individual builds in any wiki page because they get old very fast.

The key when coming from such an old build is to make sure to do a factory reset (usually via the GUI, Factory Defaults tab) both before and after the upgrade. Don't ever use a back-up file when coming from such an old build. Input all of your settings in manually.

_________________
Before asking a question on the forums, update dd-wrt: Where do I download firmware? I suggest reading it all.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one, I am trying to update them.

Atheros:
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS AP, WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - WDS Station
Linksys WRT400N - bricked
D-Link 615 C1 x 4 - not used
D-Link 615 E3 x 2 - WDS Station
D-Link 825 B1 - WDS Station
D-Link 862L A1 - WDS Station (Entware 3X)
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - WDS Station
TP-Link 1043nd v1, inactive, unstable hardware
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - backup Gateway
Netgear r6300 v1 - AP
Linksys E2500 - not used
Linksys EA2700 - not used
Linksys 160N v3 x2 - not used
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - Gateway, DHCP, QoS
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 1894
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:36    Post subject: Re: Do I need a new build? Reply with quote
flood404 wrote:

Oh lord that is old firmware but there was security issues in the old builds like KRACK attack which was patched. Not sure on this month's latest build because since some firmwares broke the wifi feature completely.

This is where I got my info from. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000

According to this site you need to flash the trailed (Which is made specific for this router) build first which is this file.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/10-10-2017-r33492/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-33492_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2000.bin

This next firmware here has been tested and confirmed to work on yours which was release in October 9th~10th of last year. BUT you need to have the dd-wrt.v24-33492_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2000.bin needs to be running first. The mega just has more features.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/10-10-2017-r33492/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-33492_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin

Just flash these files from the dd-wrt webgui which is usually at 192.168.1.1 or whatever you set it to login into the dd-wrt setup page.


tygerr wrote:
I updated it 33492 Mega as per your instructions - all seems to be working perfectly.
At least I'm closer to current now.
Thanks very much for your help


I would have to dig through the build thread for the following build, but you should be able to upgrade to one of the following without much issue and still have a working router. I wasn't sure if I could use the nv64k K3X build on my E4200 or not, so I used the trailed build. If you jump to the K3X build, though, you will have to re-configure all of your settings. One thing I learned was that I had to use the DNSMasq as DHCP server wiki to get things working persistently because things broke as I didn't do the reset before and after flashing Rolling Eyes Shocked

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-35531_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-35531_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2000.bin

As I've found out the hard way, everything after r35531 breaks wi-fi as flood404 has stated, but I know this build works for my E4200.
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum