pissed off against you DEVs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
vigilian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 23:56    Post subject: pissed off against you DEVs Reply with quote
I will edit my text later when I have more time since my english was poor in this post.

Last edited by vigilian on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:35; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
edrikk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
The fact that the last Peacock Thtead recommended build is from over FIVE YEARS AGO should say something.
vigilian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
edrikk wrote:
The fact that the last Peacock Thtead recommended build is from over FIVE YEARS AGO should say something.

Okey no problem with that but it is not a statement I think, do you? And then why trying to support this router then if it is impossible in the mind of the dev to do so? And should I say that several router are even in this category.

Even why add new features if the old ones are not working properly? Why for example I have builds from this year that doesn't even launch properly the ipv6 tools like dhcp6s etc?
OneMoar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
not even gonna bother deciphering the engrish
op just flash back to stock clearly DD-WRT is not for you
vigilian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
OneMoar wrote:

Yes sorry for my English but I think it is at least readable.
So o what? You think that ddwrt is reserved only for those who wants to program their own firmware? Si I guess I just imagine all those people who can't make the firmware work? Who bricked their router?
So I guess thei ayre just all morrons then, right? They just can't get the update process make it right?
I guess also that when they say that they had to go back to the stock firmware and then re-flash the router and still it didn't work as it supposed to be, they are lying too?

Sorry mate but I just want answers. First most of the router of the database don't have a stable version for a long time now, so we are all running betas. the, normally, good thing about Betas is that it means that it is under develoment but the problem here is that for several models, several people can't make it right. And strangely, for my router but several other models too, a build like tomatousb by shibby doesn't encounter all those problems but it is based on older kernel of course and don't have then the latest improvements. So really what do you mean by it's not for you? because I think I have already proven in the past that I was ready to give enormous time to test solutions etc but as I said, so much bad cases can't be always the user. It is also the programming which is bad on different angles. Maybe it is time to make a list of router that dev can't support anymore like mine which clearly devs can't seem to make it work as it suppose to. In company vocabulary we call it rationalization...
Reinvented
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
vigilian wrote:
OneMoar wrote:

So o what? You think that ddwrt is reserved only for those who wants to program their own firmware? Si I guess I just imagine all those people who can't make the firmware work? Who bricked their router?
So I guess thei ayre just all morrons then, right? They just can't get the update process make it right?
I guess also that when they say that they had to go back to the stock firmware and then re-flash the router and still it didn't work as it supposed to be, they are lying too?

Sorry mate but I just want answers. First most of the router of the database don't have a stable version for a long time now, so we are all running betas. the, normally, good thing about Betas is that it means that it is under develoment but the problem here is that for several models, several people can't make it right. And strangely, for my router but several other models too, a build like tomatousb by shibby doesn't encounter all those problems but it is based on older kernel of course and don't have then the latest improvements. So really what do you mean by it's not for you? because I think I have already proven in the past that I was ready to give enormous time to test solutions etc but as I said, so much bad cases can't be always the user. It is also the programming which is bad on different angles. Maybe it is time to make a list of router that dev can't support anymore like mine which clearly devs can't seem to make it work as it suppose to. In company vocabulary we call it rationalization...

There's tons of information on the AC66U and how it works. Even the proper procedure for flashing, etc. The purpose of DD-WRT is to increase functionality. If you can't comprehend the basic functions of flashing and how to set it up, then DD-WRT is not for you. I suggest you try out ASUSWRT-Merlin.

Beta means you test stuff out at your own discretion. If you are unwilling to deal with the problems and bugs and it sometimes not working, then simply do not deal with it. Do not complain about it!

You have to understand also, that not everything in life is perfect. These devs do so of their own free will, for no money at all. It's a hobby for them. They do not have to cater to you.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
edrikk wrote:

Not at all true. One build is from a few weeks ago. But not much recently.

I find threads like this amusing. Ddwrt is what it is. No one asks you for anything. No one asks you to use what has been created. But people seem to feel that they are entitled to something, for free and with no effort on their part.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 14:30    Post subject: Wiki for deciding on Firmware Reply with quote
I wonder if there is a wiki or the like to help the OP (and future newbies) understand the limitations of DD-WRT, so that they can properly calibrate expectations.

Maybe the place for this is at the front of the peacock thread?

<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
vigilian wrote:
OneMoar wrote:

The reason why it is much easier for tomato to provide better tested builds is because they only support a handful routers and they have less work to do, since they just use a oem kernel.

Regarding the AC66U, only BrainSlayer has this unit, unless it is a simple bug that I can see on my units right away I don't even look at the code parts.

If you look in the build threads with my builds you won't see many issues there, this is because I have less units and therefore I can still handle testing.

If I was BrainSlayer I would just completely drop support for old units (e.g. older then 10years) and cleanup the codebase, which in return saves development time for future work.
SimulationMan32
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why does Brainslayer still release for routers like the wrt54g-series routers? Most of the stuff new builds released today either don't work on these or the new features/fixes don't apply anyway.

If it were up to me I would look at finalizing some builds for certain routers. With only major patches being release afterward. (think KONG's 22000++) I think this would make things less confusing for people.

Most of the patches and new features only apply to routers with 128mb+ space. So why not finalize certain routers?

(Maybe at the r30000 build mark?)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, for the Asus routers, I'd recommend the Merlin firmware: http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

I'm using that with my AC66 and am pretty happy.

I looked at DD-WRT for my AC66 and it just wasn't worth it a few months ago to try and get it installed. Maybe it is now, I have not looked.

This is from someone who has dd-wrt on:

1-wrt600n
2-wrt610n
1-e3000
2-wrt54g
1-"no name" thing that is like a D-link, forgot specifically what it is...but got it to flash after 2 hours!

Point is, I've used dd-wrt a long time, but I don't disagree with the frustration of finding the right firmware. The peacock thread is well written, informative, and detailed. It's also a monster that is intimidating to someone just arriving.

Nope, it's not impossible, I was new here once and read all that. Asked a few questions *nicely* (I think) and always got decent answers. But, with the above working routers, I've not tried any new builds because I remember what a lot of research I had to do to find a newer one that worked.

I honestly lost track around the 19000 series builds and have no idea what a Kong 22000+ build is. 3.0 kernel now eh? Gotta add that in the mix to find one, assuming at least my E3000 can handle it and maybe my v2 610n.

So, I saw this post while visiting and looking to see what is new and if any build might be new and stable for anything above in my list. Having not been here for a bit, I feel new again and sympathize.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="<Kong>"]
vigilian wrote:
OneMoar wrote:

If I were BrainSlayer I would just completely drop support for old units (e.g. older then 10years) and cleanup the codebase, which in return saves development time for future work.

Well Said, Kong!
We are approaching to 10G speed access for home use already. It is not worth anymore to spend time on supporting routers like wrt-54G anymore,
which is almost 13 years old. Though, I loved this route it was out of my home 7years ago.
We need to move on and support the cutting edge technological products.
Regards,
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
If I was BrainSlayer I would just completely drop support for old units (e.g. older then 10years) and cleanup the codebase, which in return saves development time for future work.

I concur!!!

but! i think he should make one last build for those old routers code named "closing curtains".

@vigilian

Dont get angry at the devs when you were the one the flashed this yourself. Did the warnings go over your head? Plus, you do have the tools and materials to recover yes? if so, then you can be a tester.

IN FIGURE OF SPEECH

dont get all pissy on the devs. after all, they are the ones giving away the bratwursts and soda for free. if your soda is flat or theres mold on your bratwurst, let them know so they can offer you another bratwurst or soda to try. You have to buy your own bread though.

in case that went over your head

soda is performance of firmware
bratwurst is build quality of firmware

and the bread is the routers you buy/own.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
vigilian wrote:
OneMoar wrote:

The reason why it is much easier for tomato to provide better tested builds is because they only support a handful routers and they have less work to do, since they just use a oem kernel.

Regarding the AC66U, only BrainSlayer has this unit, unless it is a simple bug that I can see on my units right away I don't even look at the code parts.

If you look in the build threads with my builds you won't see many issues there, this is because I have less units and therefore I can still handle testing.

Dropping them has been my argument for a while now. Many things dont get done because they dont fit into the smaller router memory. But not my ship only my input.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're so upset then ask for your money back and move on!
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: