Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 router available $400 msrp.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
stalonge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
Now that here are others with this router in-hand, I'm curious if someone else can test the issue I'm seeing with mine. From a factory reset (or, really, any other state, too), change the security of one (or more) radios to WPA2/AES and hit "Apply."

When I do this, the router says its in WPA2 mode, but if I look from one of my clients, it sees the router in WEP mode. Sometimes a restart of the router resolves this, sometimes not.

Anyone else seeing this happen?

Dude ,

here , router is ok since first try ..

all 3 wifi are wpa2 personal

Very Happy Very Happy

1 R7800 54420 AP Wireguard webserver JFFS SAMBA FTP usb HD Mesh
1 R7800 54420 Cli Mesh
1 WZR1750 54389 AP Webserver Samba Wireguard
1 TP link Archer C7v5 54420 Cli Mesh
1 DD x86_64 48296 Gateway Samba Ftp Webserver
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
My 3 are WPA2 also.
Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
stalonge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
3 days working fine ...

Very Happy Very Happy

1 R7800 54420 AP Wireguard webserver JFFS SAMBA FTP usb HD Mesh
1 R7800 54420 Cli Mesh
1 WZR1750 54389 AP Webserver Samba Wireguard
1 TP link Archer C7v5 54420 Cli Mesh
1 DD x86_64 48296 Gateway Samba Ftp Webserver
Arin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it looks like my router is dead.

After only a couple weeks it no longer properly boots. I've made no recent changes.

Plug in

Lots of lights on / All lights on

Some flickering

Lots of lights on

Power, 1 and 3 light up orange with 1 and 3 blinking every now and then (this takes a while)

Repeat.

Any suggestions? The reset button does nothing.

----
Edit,

Assigned a static ip on my PC. It will show the network adapter connecting and disconnecting from time to time. I can ping the router while connected. Using tftp2 to upload firmware (per netgear' website) doesn't work.
NightOwl326
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Arin wrote:
Well, it looks like my router is dead.

After only a couple weeks it no longer properly boots. I've made no recent changes.

Plug in

Lots of lights on / All lights on

Some flickering

Lots of lights on

Power, 1 and 3 light up orange with 1 and 3 blinking every now and then (this takes a while)

Repeat.

Any suggestions? The reset button does nothing.

----
Edit,

Assigned a static ip on my PC. It will show the network adapter connecting and disconnecting from time to time. I can ping the router while connected. Using tftp2 to upload firmware (per netgear' website) doesn't work.

I't may be toast. Try a 30-30-30 reset. Search Google for procedure.
Arin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
NightOwl326 wrote:
Arin wrote:
Well, it looks like my router is dead.[...]

Thank you for the help. The 30-30-30 reset did the trick. I'm back up and running. Smile
NightOwl326
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Arin wrote:
NightOwl326 wrote:
Arin wrote:
Well, it looks like my router is dead.[...]

Thank you for the help. The 30-30-30 reset did the trick. I'm back up and running. Smile

Your welcome......
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a heads up that BrainSlayer's r29968 build (and likely later now) has support for the R8500. This is in addition to the KONG Test Builds that exist for this router. I haven't tested r29968 on the R8500 yet, but it seems others have. I'd be curious if STP passthrough is pre-enabled on the switch in there.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
Just a heads up that BrainSlayer's r29968 build (and likely later now) has support for the R8500. This is in addition to the KONG Test Builds that exist for this router. I haven't tested r29968 on the R8500 yet, but it seems others have. I'd be curious if STP passthrough is pre-enabled on the switch in there.

According to my R8500 it's disabled.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
DaveTheNerd wrote:

According to my R8500 it's disabled.

Thanks. On Kong's builds I can use the 'et -i eth0 robowr 0x4 0x4 0' command to enable it. Have you found any way to do this in the BS build?
ZaInT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gonna try this as soon as I sober up.
I also have an old beta unit here with only 256 MB RAM, would it still be able to run this?
phoenix127
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 23:35    Post subject: R8500 problems and info Reply with quote
I've taken the plunge and replaced and ageing Linksys e4200 with a Netgear R8500 and after a couple of days work, I've found a number of problems along the way. I realise that support is fairly new for this model, but it looks like its going to be a really good unit given its functionality and spec, so I'm recording the issues to help others that may find the same issues.

The issues are :

1. Random hang-ups and lost config. Randomly, the router may go into a reboot loop, which can be observed by the power and other LED's cycling constantly. Looking on the Netgear forums (and here), others are reporting the same issues. Recovery is via a 30-30-30 and re-configure. It looks like this is temperature related as the units do run very hot. Note the very large heat sink in the tear down pictures of them. Alternately it could be that the NVRAM writes are not completing properly as this only shows at reboot after applying the config. This happened 3 times during initial configuration.

2. The USB ports are unstable, sometimes they will detect devices, other times the will stubbornly refuse to detect anything. Power cycling often does not work and the USB2 port seems less stable than the USB3 port. fdisk -l does not display anything and lsusb just seems to give the bus ID's, not any device ID's.

Flashing with stock Netgear firmware shows that the USB ports are solid on the current firmware 1.0.2.64_1.0.62. I note that Netgear forums were also reporting USB stability in the earlier stock firmware releases.

Re-flashing with dd-wrt after stock also works well with the various soft resets that occur, however when you physically power cycle the unit, it becomes unstable again.

Related to this, when USB is detected, the mount order of /jffs is unpredictable, sometimes its internal flash, other times its the mounted USB stick, which makes moving the disk IO wear to external storage a little tricky.

Logged under ticket 5506 in TRAC http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5506

3. Network ports 5 and 6 are not displayed in the GUI, but do function. They seem to replicate whatever port 4 is configured for. This works on simple 2 VLAN configurations but does not scale if you want a few more. Its also unlikely to work if you use the default LACP bond on ports 3+4. I understand that the standard unit apparently has some form of special config for ports 1 and 2 for bonding. It would be good if all 6 ports could be fully configured with bonds on 1+2 and separate VLAN's on other ports, hence maximising its flexibility and the benefits of dd-wrt on this model of router.
Logged under ticket 5507 in TRAC http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5507

4. The unit is a bit of a Christmas tree with its array of 20 LED's, many of which are flashing. The stock firmware has an option to set the LED's off or to make them on, but disable the flashing. After reading others posts, I've figured out some of the GPIO pins and buttons, which are documented on that post, see http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1043279#1043279
I've also asked for a feature add to add this into the UI under ticket 5508 in TRAC http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5508

5. The GUI sometimes does not display correctly when you hit the commit button, it doesn't display the white background pane properly. You can easily fix this with a move to a different tab in the GUI, but something is not quite right here.

6. The dd-wrt router DB at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices incorrectly shows that these routers have 256K of flash, they only have 128K according to the Netgear datasheet at http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8500.aspx#tab-techspecs As access to the Wiki is limited, could a Wiki admin fix this please ??

Other handy info for others that I've picked up along the way is as follows :

1. Having had other Broadcom based dd-wrt routers, I took a CFE backup, this works as advertised, just browse to http://router-ip/backup/cfe.bin

2. I've not taken the lid off the machine yet, but note the various pics on-line that shows a 4 pin header marked "R T G V". I bet that's the serial console pins - R=Receive, T=Transmit, G=Ground, V=Vcc (Power).
Once I'm comfortable with the hardware being reliable, I'll be adding a 3.5mm serial console port into the case.

3. Apparently, if you ping the routers IP address during bootup (ping -t 192.168.1.1) and it shows ttl=100, then that indicates bad firmware and that it wants a tftp download

4. Throughput looks fantastic, I'm getting near rated speeds for fibre broadband 56Mbps down, 17.5Mbps up on BT 80/20 FTTC. This is more than twice the throughput of the current e4200 build (which incidentally used to give ~52Mbps down when I last checked about a year ago)

5. Tested configuration includes : IPv4, DNS, DHCP/reservations, Native IPv6, radvd, dhcp6s, multiple VLAN's, multiple bridges, 3 x wireless AP's with MAC filtering, QoS, firewall scripts for v4 and v6, a bunch of NAT and some off-host logging.

I do have one question though - does anyone know what the various ethx interfaces relate to. Are they wireless and the bridge to the physical Ethernet switch ? I'm just wondering about the bond / lacp config to my switch next.

Last edited by phoenix127 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:21; edited 2 times in total
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:10    Post subject: Re: R8500 problems and info Reply with quote
phoenix127 wrote:
I've taken the plunge and replaced and ageing Linksys e4200 with a Netgear R8500 and after a couple of days work, I've found a number of problems along the way. I realise that support is fairly new for this model, but it looks like its going to be a really good unit given its functionality and spec, so I'm recording the issues to help others that may find the same issues.

Thanks so much for your detailed post. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has random reboots and lost configs. Very frustrating. And thanks for the gpio switches for the lights. That'll be handy!

I haven't cracked mine open yet, either, but I've been thinking about it. I'd love to get a serial output of the console when it's doing those boot loops. Someday. Smile

I think your suspicion of temperature being related makes sense. The longest uptime I've had with this unit was 18 days...when the whole family wasn't home. Wink we were all able to connect to the VPN and any resources, Plex servers, that we wanted, but wifi usage was minimal. I feel like that's an important data point.

Of course, once it did reboot I lost my configs. Maybe there's something about the NVRAM writes, Maybe it's ttraff, maybe it's something else.
phoenix127
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:54    Post subject: traff data Reply with quote
Hi Dave,

Other than migrating the traff history during my transfer as I wanted some history, i'd not thought the point about traff going to NVRAM and the possible side effects.

Having now thought it through, i've raised a TRAC suggestion to move TRAFF data to JFFS, this would be far more consistent for config into NVRAM and log or other updating content into the file system (message logs, dhcp tables, etc), it would also make managing the historical traff data a lot safer (as NVRAM is not played with) and easier since you can use normal tools like find, tail or sort on normal files to clean up old data and further process the log data.

The other big benefit is a reduction of write wear load on the NVRAM

See http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5509
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting thought and proposed solution. And that might workaround any NVRAM issue that exists, but the actual issue would still exist. Regardless, having ttraff data optionally on JFFS makes good sense.

Problem is, we don't know if there is an intermittent NVRAM issue. I hadn't really though about this before, but I'm now thinking some sort of write verification might be a good thing to make DD-WRT more robust.

If, in fact, boot loops are caused by corrupt NVRAM data, then why not nip it in the bud and do data verification after every write to NVRAM? That would allow it to be both identified and corrected before causing any catastrophic symptoms.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 17
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: