Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 router available $400 msrp.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys sorry to revive this old topic. I was just wondering if anyone had success installing the lastest DD-WRT Kong update from 2018-05-31 on the R8500 made in China. Specifically, I'm wondering if all three bands are working and if I would be able to set up a nas storage using the USB port on the R8500.
Sponsor
Haans249
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:43    Post subject: Has ANYONE JTAG into this router? Reply with quote
I am going to go ahead and dig this back up.

I have an R8300 bought off ebay with a solid amber power light. I was able to successfully serial into the router, run the proper commands to flash firmware. NO stock R8300 firmware would work. I have only been successful with DDWRt R8500 files and that is not entirely reliable. Most recently, I upload ver 31980 R8500 DDWRT by running the following command process:

1) Flash : Flash.trx (then run the file through TFTP)
2) After it finished programming and am back at CFE>,
3) Reboot; then stop booting (this allows another flash without having to power cycle)
4) Flash : Flash0.trx (then run the same file through TFTP)
5) Repeat 2 and 3 above
6) Flash : Flash1.trx (then run the same file through TFTP)
7) Once back to the CFE> prompt, ran "go"

This would successfully install and boot DDWRT, but I was getting numerous errors, many of which are consistent here. I have uploaded my log from Putty where you can see I flash stock firmware then DDWRT firmware.

The most recent status is 31980 worked, all three WL's showed, but WL0 (5Ghz 1) was radio Off. Other two radios worked.

But, the second I would run a power cycle, it would return to boot loop or hardlock.

I'm close to just sticking this thing in the oven and seeing what happens afterwards (to maybe restore some broken connections).

But before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone has JTAG into this router and if so, how did you do it? I have torn this router down to PCB (removing all metals shields) and cannot locate a JTAG header.

It appears my Bootloader is still intact (V1.0.5), but I want to backup my bootloader then erase NVRAM and Kernel, then resend the stock Netgear firmware.

Has anyone been successful Jtag into this thing?

BTW, this R8300 is basically exactly the same as the R8500, I have verified all chips on my R8300 board to be the same. The CFE, Hdwtype also both show R8500. The only difference is missing a second USB3 port, but the PCB connection for the second USB3 port is present on the board.

The stock Netgear FW's are also exactly the same between the R8300 and R8500. They both have the same file size and the same version numbers.

My Router:
Hdwtype=R8500, Hwrev=MP2T99
Read_board_data(681) region_num=1 2 (NA)

putty1.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  putty1.txt
 Filesize:  416.9 KB
 Downloaded:  474 Time(s)

tasman_shn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 14:06    Post subject: Re: Has ANYONE JTAG into this router? Reply with quote
JTAG not solved your problem because your WiFi chip already die and no software or firmware to solved your issue.

To use latest firmware please edit rc.c (remove system("reboot")Wink then compile it.

/*foxconn Han edited start, 10/01/2015
*when R8500 didn't recognize all 3 interface, then do the software reboot*/
int isDhdReady()
{
char ifname[32] = "eth1";
int flags;
unsigned long addr, netmask;
int i = 1;
int ret = 0;
int max = 3;
int flag = 0;
char *max_pt = NULL;

if(acosNvramConfig_match("dhd_check_ignore","1"))
return 0;

if((max_pt = nvram_get("dhd_check_max"))!=NULL)
{
max = atoi(max_pt);
}

printf("\n--------------------isDhdReady()------------------------\n");
//system("ifconfig -a");
for(i=1; i<= max; i++)
{
sprintf(ifname,"eth%d",i);
ret=ifconfig_get(ifname, &flags, &addr, &netmask);
/*ENONET means interface don't have IP address,
*EACCES means interface don't exist
*EADDRNOTAVAIL Cannot assign requested address*/
if (ret != 0 && ret != EADDRNOTAVAIL)
{
printf("%s %d could not found %s ret=0x%X\n",__func__,__LINE__,ifname,ret);
flag ++;
}
else
printf("%s %d found %s ret=0x%X\n",__func__,__LINE__,ifname, ret);
}
printf("\n-------------------isDhdReady flag=%d-----------------------------\n",flag);

if(flag)
{
printf("DHD didn't bring up all the interfaces!\n");
system("reboot");
}
return ret;
}

Haans249 wrote:
I am going to go ahead and dig this back up.

I have an R8300 bought off ebay with a solid amber power light. I was able to successfully serial into the router, run the proper commands to flash firmware. NO stock R8300 firmware would work. I have only been successful with DDWRt R8500 files and that is not entirely reliable. Most recently, I upload ver 31980 R8500 DDWRT by running the following command process:

1) Flash : Flash.trx (then run the file through TFTP)
2) After it finished programming and am back at CFE>,
3) Reboot; then stop booting (this allows another flash without having to power cycle)
4) Flash : Flash0.trx (then run the same file through TFTP)
5) Repeat 2 and 3 above
6) Flash : Flash1.trx (then run the same file through TFTP)
7) Once back to the CFE> prompt, ran "go"

This would successfully install and boot DDWRT, but I was getting numerous errors, many of which are consistent here. I have uploaded my log from Putty where you can see I flash stock firmware then DDWRT firmware.

The most recent status is 31980 worked, all three WL's showed, but WL0 (5Ghz 1) was radio Off. Other two radios worked.

But, the second I would run a power cycle, it would return to boot loop or hardlock.

I'm close to just sticking this thing in the oven and seeing what happens afterwards (to maybe restore some broken connections).

But before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone has JTAG into this router and if so, how did you do it? I have torn this router down to PCB (removing all metals shields) and cannot locate a JTAG header.

It appears my Bootloader is still intact (V1.0.5), but I want to backup my bootloader then erase NVRAM and Kernel, then resend the stock Netgear firmware.

Has anyone been successful Jtag into this thing?

BTW, this R8300 is basically exactly the same as the R8500, I have verified all chips on my R8300 board to be the same. The CFE, Hdwtype also both show R8500. The only difference is missing a second USB3 port, but the PCB connection for the second USB3 port is present on the board.

The stock Netgear FW's are also exactly the same between the R8300 and R8500. They both have the same file size and the same version numbers.

My Router:
Hdwtype=R8500, Hwrev=MP2T99
Read_board_data(681) region_num=1 2 (NA)
tasman_shn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
how to set force the wl0 to higher channels > 144 manually set?
using ddwrt or original firmware?

labo wrote:
@ black6spdz,
This is a known issue in repeater bridge mode.
But as WAPs both 5Ghz Radios should work fine. Are you using it as repeater bridge?
If not, just force the wl0 to higher channels > 144 manually set.
wl2, set it manually to channels < 52
Should work
routerhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure that really fixes anything. It merely says "don't reboot". Broadcom "engineers" (if you can call them that) hacked in the source to force a reboot when wifi not up and recognized (defaults to 3 tries). You can ignore that all together by setting a nvram variable OR by upping the max retries via a nvram variable as seen in the source code. Bottom line is there is something else going on. I believe it to be a problem in code not handling some known errata in the PEX8603 but I have not had a chance to try code change and recompile source.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you closer look at intenal hardware "U5GL and U5GH" for wifi 5ghz chipsets label. Why isnt "U1 and U2 or U5G1 and U5G2". BCM4366 may have pre-set function channels which means U5GL= preset for only 5ghz low channels from 36 to 48.Also U5GH= preset for only 5ghz high channels from 149 to 165. If you set auto or outrange then wifi chipset may disable or lockup,period. it need to preset in custom ddwrt dw and you need request ticket to this issues. More over it may leading to pcu kernel panic or overload pcie switch PEX8603 and bricked dhd.That is wifi limited and its flaw design. just like channel 14 on 2.4ghz, it is not preset or your wifi chipset got disable or lockup or may damage if you you get wrong configure.How ever this info may not 100% accuracy.
routerhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is an interesting idea. Since the bandwidth is split over the PEX8603, it is possible they *might* have done something like that to kind of force "lanes" for each of the 5ghz radios. Any idea what the channel defaults would have even been in the original untouched firmware on the units? That might give a clue. However, I haven't heard or seen any indication that lockups have occurred due to or when changing channels on 5ghz. At the point in the boot process where the radios don't all three come up and the reboot occurs (due to coding by Broadcom), I might be wrong but not sure if the channels are even set that early. Just a thought.
ABATAPA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 13:43    Post subject: LAN1 LAN2 aggregation — fake? Reply with quote
Does anyone have a bootlog of official firmware?
And can someone show ' ifconfig 'on it?

In fact, only one Gigabit comes to the CPU in the router, all LAN ports, including LAN1 and LAN2, are provided by one 8-port switch.

Then what is the point of such aggregation? Yes, even when to get a speed of more than ~650 Mbps TCP / 800 Mbps UDP fails.
Darias
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
My R8500 can only successfully install 20150905_1.0.0.28_1.0.15.chk without wl driver so no wifi
Firmware update or change of ip address or any restart of R8500 will be bricked.
Hardware version: R8500 MP1
This is the log file
https://s.put.re/REfy5XUZ.txt

What should I do with R8500 now ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 Display posts from previous:    Page 17 of 17
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: