Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 router available $400 msrp.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
prophetizer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
I don't think Kong made any updates on this.
The test firmware from Kong worked for me, but didn't for many others.

what is the test firmware version you tried?

thanks.
Sponsor
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:03    Post subject: Re: Stable Build Reply with quote
phoenix127 wrote:
navigates wrote:
I came here to check if I should update to the latest firmware of kong or should I leave it the way it is.

The wifi bands are associated correctly without auto and the astril applet works well.

Any advise. Much much appreciated.

If you were able to get the original builds to apply, then updating is generally not a problem, the problems relate to a new variant that has some updated hardware, others relate to bad hardware floating around on eBay where things like board_data (config/calibration) partitions are missing

I'm not aware of any issues with the Kong build, however there does seem to be an unrelated problem with the latest BS build. See my previous post detailing that problem.

The best thing to do is to backup your config (and jffs partition if you are using it) then give the upgrade a go. Its very likely to be successful.

If the worst happens, then a quick serial connection and 2 minutes with the CFE to download the current firmware gets you back to where you are now, so you can always back out.

BTW - on the bottom of the router is a sticker, that's where it says where its manufactured.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the note. I've gone ahead and applied the latest build and it works just fine. I had to rechange from Auto Channel to manual. The dropdown just had one option though and the whole network is stable and fine. I haven't had the need to reboot since the past 3 days.

I'm very impressed with the X8. A Friend has purchased the X8 the newer design and that too works well with dd-wrt.

I'm thinking of upgrading my X8 to X10? confused if I should do that or should I go towards a linksys?
phoenix127
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
navigates wrote:
I'm thinking of upgrading my X8 to X10? confused if I should do that or should I go towards a linksys?

Depends what you want to do (i.e. features), how fast and how much you want to burn a hole in your pocket.

The higher end Netgear routers have a very good spec, but how much is "enough power" ?? Hint - its before you cry at the price or have to skip food to buy it !

I know several people with ordinary workloads (family of 4-5 all streaming or gaming) and the R8000's are generally waaay good enough. The R8500's X8's seem to be a fantastic work horse too, so is the X10 really necessary yet ?

As to Netgear vs Linksys - and without wanting to start a who's-the-best-manufacturer war in the forum, I came from Linksys (e3000, e4200), which were good in their day, but it hit the same old issues of performance and lack of available resources as dd-wrt became more feature rich and more concurrent video/gaming happened in the house as the kids got older.

I looked at Linksys when it came to refresh, but I couldn't find anything with similar specs (CPU, RAM and FLASH, radio capabilities, port count, etc) compared to the ASUS and NetGear devices. In the end I just went for the largest RAM and FLASH I could find at the time to protect the investment for as long as possible.

It looks like there are X10 build - at least its discussed in this forum http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=305025&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210 and both BS and Kong are participating in it
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52    Post subject: Re: Stable Build Reply with quote
phoenix127 wrote:
navigates wrote:
I came here to check if I should update to the latest firmware of kong or should I leave it the way it is.

The wifi bands are associated correctly without auto and the astril applet works well.

Any advise. Much much appreciated.

If you were able to get the original builds to apply, then updating is generally not a problem, the problems relate to a new variant that has some updated hardware, others relate to bad hardware floating around on eBay where things like board_data (config/calibration) partitions are missing

I'm not aware of any issues with the Kong build, however there does seem to be an unrelated problem with the latest BS build. See my previous post detailing that problem.

The best thing to do is to backup your config (and jffs partition if you are using it) then give the upgrade a go. Its very likely to be successful.

If the worst happens, then a quick serial connection and 2 minutes with the CFE to download the current firmware gets you back to where you are now, so you can always back out.

BTW - on the bottom of the router is a sticker, that's where it says where its manufactured.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the confirmation. I went ahead with the update and all settings remained except the band of the wifi. Had to reset them and its working just fine.
Foaley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
I don't think Kong made any updates on this.
The test firmware from Kong worked for me, but didn't for many others.

Any chance you could send me a copy of that test firmware? @labo or @kong
Foaley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The test image did not work unfortunately ... @kong I'm not sure where you live, but I would be ok sending you my router if that meant I could have it back with DDWRT on it?
realbbb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
phoenix127 wrote:
I've had a bit more of a read of the boot logs.

There are different regions in the different devices
malachi
hwtype=R8500<,hwrev=MP1
read_board_data(662) region_num=1 2 (NA) - North America ?

Labo
hwtype=R8500<,hwrev=MP2
read_board_data(682) region_num=1 2 (NA) - North America ?

gogoroute
hwtype=R8500<,hwrev=MP2
read_board_data(682) region_num=4 2 (PR) - PR China ?

The CheckBC output is identical across @labo and my router, other than different LAN IP addresses and a couple more wireless devices on @labo's. Its interesting that boarnum, boardrev and boardtype are identical between them given the different hwrev's.

Malachi has a hardware problem (a missing radio) and some upgrade issues. I think this is a different issue, given that its hardware rev MP1 which normally works for most. Can you confirm the exact error you are getting and where its happening. I can't find this in the thread, only the stock boot logs.

This one (made in china) reports:
hwtype=R8500<,hwrev=MP1
read_board_data(682) region_num=1 2 (NA)

BBB
Must Post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really want to know what dose Netgear do with X8 after the boot loop issue was break out.
I just know then they release the MP2 version. And until now, there is none of any release note could be found on their website.
The most important is I couldn't run dd-wrt on my x8. This really sucks! Sad
ere109
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been out of the loop for a while, just looking through Kong's latest builds, and I see a standard R8500 rom, and a v24 r8500 rom. Could someone please explain the difference?
Also, what's the state of the random reboots?
phoenix127
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you are looking at Kong's site http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

The .chk file is the one used to break from the Netgear firmware and get dd-wrt onto the router. The .bin file is the standard upgrade for the router once you are running dd-wrt.

As far as I know, the second variant of routers is not supported as Kong didn't have any hardware to test against.

I was wondering if we should get Kong to publish his PayPal link that is on the dd-wrt routers on this forum, then we can pay towards him getting one. Obviously people can't get to that link if they can't install dd-wrt in the first place.

You can always check your model by turning it over and taking a look at where it was manufactured, similarly, you can test your particular router type as recovery is always possible using the TFTP recovery or the serial recovery methods detailed in this forum post.
gogoroute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@phoenix127 @Kong @everyone :
I'm glad to tell U that I can flush newest test firmware of Kong's build with date 2017-05-01. The URL of this version is as below:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/dd-wrt.K3_R8500.chk

Thanks to @Kong!

My unit's info is:
1)Made in Vietnam.
2)On the bottom of my router,There is a number above the serial number: 272-12475-03
3)Model:R8500-100PRS
4)hwtype=R8500<,hwrev=MP2

Befor this test version, my unit can't work well with Kong's build.

The status of my router:

r8500-ddrwt-Kong-20170501.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.03 KB
 Viewed:  15227 Time(s)

r8500-ddrwt-Kong-20170501.jpg

phoenix127
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fantastic news - and nice work Kong !

Is everything functional - radios, switch etc ?
gogoroute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
phoenix127 wrote:
Fantastic news - and nice work Kong !

Is everything functional - radios, switch etc ?

I can see 3 Wireless Physical Interface names of wl0 (5 GHz), wl1 (2.4GHz) and wl2 (5 GHz), seems work well.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I also can verify this. Loads fine and reboots fine. I didn't check the router functionality as I have to R9000.
However, I did try to use it as a repeater bridge and it is stuck on reboot loop which is the common issue with all latest ac5300 Broadcom routers.

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
gogoroute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
But why I can't use ipkg or opkg in shell :

root@DD-WRT:/jffs# ipkg
-sh: ipkg: not found
root@DD-WRT:/jffs# opkg
-sh: opkg: not found
root@DD-WRT:/jffs#

Does there some docs of ddwrt-v3.0 ipkg or opkg description? I can't find in wiki. Thx.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 17
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: