Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 router available $400 msrp.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
tarekkkkkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 17:59    Post subject: DD wrt is out for our R8500 Reply with quote
guys check it out its out!!!! http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/ thank you @kong
Sponsor
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I posted my initial experience over in the latest Kong build thread (TL;DR: everything seems to work except no Ethernet), but it definitely installs just fine.

And maybe a 30-30-30 would fix the Ethernet? I dunno... I haven't heard from Kong about that specifically and this is obviously just the beginning so I don't expect it to be perfect. Yet. Wink

The good news is that until DD-WRT is stable on it, my R8500 is solely dedicated to testing, so I'll be on the front lines with it as much as I'm able.
tarekkkkkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
I posted my initial experience over in the latest Kong build thread (TL;DR: everything seems to work except no Ethernet), but it definitely installs just fine.

And maybe a 30-30-30 would fix the Ethernet? I dunno... I haven't heard from Kong about that specifically and this is obviously just the beginning so I don't expect it to be perfect. Yet. Wink

The good news is that until DD-WRT is stable on it, my R8500 is solely dedicated to testing, so I'll be on the front lines with it as much as I'm able.

Which port are you talking about ? i just tried it and everything seems to work, one thing i miss is turning off the LED. I'll keep testing.

Also whenever i save any page it takes like 5 min for the gui to go back online dunno why, maybe nvram is taking more time to rebuild :S
Edit: to add the memory is kinda full that might affect its performance
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
tarekkkkkk wrote:

Which port are you talking about ? i just tried it and everything seems to work

It was all of them, but I forced a ddup on it and with the reinstallation of the firmware all 6 of the LAN ports answer properly now. W00t.

Only issue is that clicking on Setup > MAC Address Clone (i.e. loading http://192.168.1.1/WanMAC.asp) results in a half-loaded page... and httpd crashes. Anyone else seeing that?
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been running Kong's 12/22 build on my R8500 live for a few days, mostly successfully. Posted my thoughts/issues in the thread about the build. Not sure if we should be posting those there or here in the hardware-centric thread or what. Wink
tarekkkkkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
Been running Kong's 12/22 build on my R8500 live for a few days, mostly successfully. Posted my thoughts/issues in the thread about the build. Not sure if we should be posting those there or here in the hardware-centric thread or what. Wink

I prefer up here, one thread mixed with different devices is all messy. Let's keep our thread tidy and easily readable as we are less users using the R8500.
I acutally used the 30-30-30 reset method just to be on the safe side in the beginning and i'm not having this issue. Although i tried to install optware 2 using this guide http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OTRW2_(Optware_the_right_way_Take_2) but it never actually worked, getting the famous error something about permission denied.
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since this is a beast of a router is there any hope for 1gbps over WAN with DDWRT?

My ISP now offers 1gbps and I'd like to jump on that soon, but do not want to give up DDWRT.
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Tri-band Wave 2 XStream platform integrates two 4x4 5 GHz radios (at 2.1 Gbps each) and one 4x4 2.4 GHz radio (at 1 Gbps). The setup is capable of using 1024 QAM (Broadcom-proprietary NitroQAM, works only with clients having Broadcom Wi-Fi receiver chipsets) to boost performance.

Dumb question, I'm sure, but are there even any mobile devices out in the wild that support connecting to radios like this? I tried searching but could find none. I also looked for desktop wireless NICs and of course the only ones I could find are the old trusty Asus and TP-Link ones that are capable of using 3x3 5ghz @ 1.3 Ghz. (Hence, for example will fully utilize a R6700, R7000, several TP-Link and Linksys routers that also do 3x3 5ghz etc.) AFAIK, cell phones are only 2x2 5ghz @ 866.

It just seems like a lot of money to pay for a device that won't have its full capabilities used for quite a little while.

For example, both the iphone 6 and galaxy s5 use a BCM4354, which is a broadcom 2x2 5ghz radio. The galaxy s6 uses a Samsung Electro-Mechanics 3853B5 Wi-Fi Module. (Which obviously won't support the advanced broadcom features.)

I don't know, I guess I am just disappointed that router manufacturers seem to be in a race to use the most wireless spectrum, whether there are actual devices that can actually USE it or not.

People that don't know better will just end up spending a lot of money and will no doubt simply assume that routers like the R8000 and R8500 are the "best" ones to get, and will therefore clutter up the wifi bands, while not actually ever using more than a third or quarter of the bandwidth. Due to the existing wifi congestion where I live, even being 15 feet away from my 3x3 router I have a 3x3 device that struggles to stay above 866 megabits at times. I can imagine a few neighbors getting these devices would just kill my wifi speeds even more, as well as affect other neighbors too.

Those of you who DO have an R8500, what devices do you use it with? Are there any actual devices that will fully use the bandwidth of the R8500 that I just am missing? Was the R8500 just more of an "experimental/play/test" purchase for you?

I am not by any means knocking or making fun of anyone who buys these routers by the way. It just to me seems like putting a speed limiting governor on a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, and limiting it to only being able to go 80 MPH...

Netgear R6700 (Un-opened with stock. My backup/emergency router if the R7000 takes a dump...)

2x Buffalo WHR-HP-GN 28493 (Used for 2.4 Ghz bridge when needed.)

Asus WL-500g Premium (1x v1 & 1x v2) (Still have, but retired for now.)

1x Linksys WRT54G v8 >>DD-WRT v24SP1 (The other routers needed something to point at and make fun of.)
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a fair question, @SirSilentBob. MU-MIMO will be the thing that makes these worth it, eventually, when two 2x2 devices can talk simultaneously to the router (as opposed to having to wait their turns now). But... This requires support from both the client and the router, so we can't really take advantage of this... yet.

What we can take advantage of now is the multiple radios. By intelligently configuring networks you can do some interesting things with two 5GHz radios right now. One obvious option is segmenting off the 892.11ac devices from the 802.11n devices, but another is to use one of the 5GHz channels as the backbone between router extensions. The latter, in my testing, finally gives us wireless extensions that are worth a damn, and are faster than Powerline in many cases.

Personally, I got this router as a test unit (perk of the job!) but am finding it quite useful already. I can imagine that will only get better as clients are built to support some of these things and, of course, as DD-WRT support for it becomes more and more robust.
edisaack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
tarekkkkkk wrote:

Which port are you talking about ? i just tried it and everything seems to work

It was all of them, but I forced a ddup on it and with the reinstallation of the firmware all 6 of the LAN ports answer properly now. W00t.

Only issue is that clicking on Setup > MAC Address Clone (i.e. loading http://192.168.1.1/WanMAC.asp) results in a half-loaded page... and httpd crashes. Anyone else seeing that?

I can confirm the same half-loaded page/httpd crash issue on the R8500. I've been running on r28575M kongac (12/22/15) for two days. The only other issue I found is that the 5Ghz radio on WL0 does not broadcast even though I have SSID broadcasting turned on.
edisaack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
That's a fair question, @SirSilentBob. MU-MIMO will be the thing that makes these worth it, eventually, when two 2x2 devices can talk simultaneously to the router (as opposed to having to wait their turns now). But... This requires support from both the client and the router, so we can't really take advantage of this... yet.

What we can take advantage of now is the multiple radios. By intelligently configuring networks you can do some interesting things with two 5GHz radios right now. One obvious option is segmenting off the 892.11ac devices from the 802.11n devices, but another is to use one of the 5GHz channels as the backbone between router extensions. The latter, in my testing, finally gives us wireless extensions that are worth a damn, and are faster than Powerline in many cases.

Personally, I got this router as a test unit (perk of the job!) but am finding it quite useful already. I can imagine that will only get better as clients are built to support some of these things and, of course, as DD-WRT support for it becomes more and more robust.

Agreed. I have over 40 wireless devices and 10 hardwired devices on the network. I want to take advantage of the multiple 5Ghz radios to help optimize my network.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Next build will come with 128KB nvram space.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Is this going to be an 8500 only advancement?

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Just updated. Awesome. Thank you. Wink
tarekkkkkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Thanks man Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 17
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: