Access Web Interface via WiFi (Access Point mode)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
fritzmg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:57    Post subject: Access Web Interface via WiFi (Access Point mode) Reply with quote
I am using DD-WRT v24SP2- (03/25/13) std - build 21061 on a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and I have put it into Access Point mode using these instructions.

Everything works, however, I cannot access DD-WRT's Web Interface via WiFi. If I try to access it, DD-WRT seems to create a 302 Redirect to 0.0.0.0. It only works via LAN.

Is there a setting that allows me to access the web interface via WiFi too? I have tried enabling the "Remote Access" option, but that does not seem to have an effect on this issue.
Sponsor
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
can you access 192.168.1.2?
Can you send a picture of the basic main screen?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have configured the LAN IP Adress of the TP-Link router to be 10.0.0.2 (10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 is the subnet of the local network). I am unable to access http://10.0.0.2 via WiFi, it creates a 302 Redirect to http://0.0.0.0

I just noticed that sometimes it even happens when accessing it from the LAN instead of WiFi. I had to restart the TP-Link in order to be able to access it via http://10.0.0.1 (otherwise it would keep redirecting to http://0.0.0.0, even from LAN). Also I noticed that DD-WRT seems to crash when I want to access it via https. It's really odd.

I have attached a screenshot of the basic main screen.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
What browser are you using? Many recommend Firefox. I use chrome, but on one computer it caused issues. Also, some builds have suffered from slow GUI that can time out. I don't recall which builds, but I occasionally see it reported.
fritzmg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
What browser are you using? Many recommend Firefox. I use chrome, but on one computer it caused issues. Also, some builds have suffered from slow GUI that can time out. I don't recall which builds, but I occasionally see it reported.

Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer, it doesn't matter. The behavior is the same (the 302 Redirect is independent from the client).
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your build is over 2 years old. It could be an issue that has been fixed in the past 2 years. Update to something newer. Read reports before flashing, but July 9 seems to be the most stable recent build for a lot of routers. Late July builds seemed to have access issues, August builds broke the reset button for a lot of devices, and the most recent builds seem to have something going on with dnsmasq/dhcp/WiFi. Read the post for the July 9 build. The 1043 is common, so I'm sure there is some feedback on it.
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 17:32    Post subject: Re: Access Web Interface via WiFi (Access Point mode) Reply with quote
fritzmg wrote:
Is there a setting that allows me to access the web interface via WiFi too? I have tried enabling the "Remote Access" option, but that does not seem to have an effect on this issue.

Option 1: configure port forwarding on primary router to your TL-WR1043ND and connect through outside WAN address

Option 2: configure let`s say RDP on a workstation connected to primary router. And reach your AP from that workstation

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
fritzmg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:43    Post subject: Re: Access Web Interface via WiFi (Access Point mode) Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
Your build is over 2 years old. It could be an issue that has been fixed in the past 2 years. Update to something newer. Read reports before flashing, but July 9 seems to be the most stable recent build for a lot of routers. Late July builds seemed to have access issues, August builds broke the reset button for a lot of devices, and the most recent builds seem to have something going on with dnsmasq/dhcp/WiFi. Read the post for the July 9 build. The 1043 is common, so I'm sure there is some feedback on it.

Hm, ok, I actually looked for updates before I started configuring the TP-Link as an Access Point. However on the router database it still lists my current version as the newest version. There does not seem to be a newer version of DD-WRT in general, at least on the website. Where do I find the newest version then?

h8red wrote:
Option 1: configure port forwarding on primary router to your TL-WR1043ND and connect through outside WAN address

Option 2: configure let`s say RDP on a workstation connected to primary router. And reach your AP from that workstation

No you misunderstood. I am not trying to access DD-WRT from the outside (i.e. from the WAN). I am trying to access the DD-WRT Web Interface from within the same Local Area Network, but via WiFI (where the TP-Link Router is configured as an Access Point instead), which does not work - for some reason DD-WRT always creates a 302 Temporary Redirect to http://0.0.0.0
fritzmg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:39    Post subject: Re: Access Web Interface via WiFi (Access Point mode) Reply with quote
fritzmg wrote:
mwbuss8 wrote:

Hm, ok, I actually looked for updates before I started configuring the TP-Link as an Access Point. However on the router database it still lists my current version as the newest version. There does not seem to be a newer version of DD-WRT in general, at least on the website. Where do I find the newest version then?

Ah, found it:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279466
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

I'll try to upgrade (properly with 30/30/30 reset before and after) and report back here.

Last edited by fritzmg on Sat Sep 19, 2015 13:31; edited 1 time in total
fritzmg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have updated to the latest Version now (09-11-2015-r27805/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/tl-wr1043nd-webflash.bin) but the problem still remains. Whenever I try to access the TP-Link with DD-WRT on it via WiFi, the DD-WRT Software creates a 302 Temporary Redirect to http://0.0.0.0 and the web interface in general cannot be accessed anymore until the device is rebooted.
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
fritzmg wrote:
I have updated to the latest Version now (09-11-2015-r27805/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/tl-wr1043nd-webflash.bin) but the problem still remains. Whenever I try to access the TP-Link with DD-WRT on it via WiFi, the DD-WRT Software creates a 302 Temporary Redirect to http://0.0.0.0 and the web interface in general cannot be accessed anymore until the device is rebooted.

It is not a problem. Do what I said

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
fritzmg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
h8red wrote:
It is not a problem. Do what I said

See my above reply: I am not trying to access the TP-Link Router (flashed with DD-WRT and configured as an Access Point) from the outside. I am trying to access it from the local network, but via WiFi.

Or do you mean it is simply not possible to do that, for whatever reason, and thus I am absolutely only able to access the Web Interface of the DD-WRT from the LAN and not from the Wireless LAN?

Seems a bit odd. Also as I have said before, sometimes it does not even work from the LAN. e.g. when I do the following:
  • Connect my PC to the LAN via the TP-Link's WiFi
  • Try to access the Web Interface of DD-WRT (which will redirect to http://0.0.0.0)
  • Connect my PC to the LAN via cable again (+ getting new IP)
  • Try to access the Web Interface of DD-WRT again …
… but in this case it will also not work (and create a 302 Redirect to http://0.0.0.0). I am only able to access the Web Interface of DD-WRT, if my PC was connected via cable to the LAN after the last reboot of the TP-Link Router.

This is the complete HTTP Response Header from DD-WRT:
Code:
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html
Server: UPnP/1.0 UPnP-Device-Host/1.0
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
something is wrong, you mac addresses are the same for WAN LAN and WLAN.
Also I know the Atheros is tricky with repeater bridge, it might not work, I tried it in the past and didn't succeed.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
blaser wrote:
something is wrong, you mac addresses are the same for WAN LAN and WLAN.

True, didn't notice that before. But why does it have the same mac addresses? I never changed anything in that area. The "MAC Clone" option under "Setup - MAC Address Clone" is disabled.

blaser wrote:
Also I know the Atheros is tricky with repeater bridge, it might not work, I tried it in the past and didn't succeed.

I am not using it as a Repeater Bridge. It is configured as a pure Access Point, with its own SSID and Password. It is not repeating another wireless network, it purely serves as an access point for the local network (see first post - I used these instructions to configure it as a pure Access Point).
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is quite a post on the wiki. There is a lot of information, but also a lot of optional (marked as such) steps as well. I had never read through it until now, but I've setup several DD-WRT APs and never come across your issue.

I'd suggest resetting your router. Leave it disconnected from everything but your computer for now. Setup WiFi. Set your SSID and PW, and select a channel if you want, but leave the advanced settings alone. Save your changes. Change LAN IP to 10.0.0.2 and save. Disconnect and reconnect your computer (to obtain new IP address) and login to the router at the new IP. Disable WAN and save. Disable DHCP and save, then go to the admin page and reboot. Connect it to your other router LAN<->LAN. Connect via WiFi and test. It should work now. If there are other settings you want to change or use from the wiki, try one at a time. This way, If the problem comes back, you will know what caused it.

I generally change 1 setting at a time and save, rather than completing a whole page. I've come across issues when trying to change multiple settings at a time.

If this doesnt work, I'm not sure what it could be. As I said, I've never come across this issue, and its how I setup quite a few now.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: