RT-68ACU Client Bridge (C-Bridge)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 19:09    Post subject: RT-68ACU Client Bridge (C-Bridge) Reply with quote
DETAILS
=======
Gateway =192.168.8.1 = RT-68ACU (Merlin Firmware)
Client Bridge =192.168.8.3 = RT-68ACU (DD-WRT v3.0-r27413 (6/22/15))

Goal: setup C-Bridge over 5GHz band. C-Bridge 2.4GHz radio ('Wireless Network Mode') disabled

rXXXXu@ECHO:/tmp/home/root# uname -a
Linux ECHO 2.6.36.4brcmarm #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 20 15:01:26 EDT 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

Attempts to setup a client bridge have failed: unable to ping the gateway from the command line of the C-Bridge. This condensed procedure is based on the C-Bridge Wiki:

Quote:
LAN SETUP: Setup -> Basic Setup
1) Assign Gateway IP: 192.168.8.1
2) Assign LAN IP: 192.168.8.3
3) Turn-off DHCP Server
4) Configure Network static IP with new gateway IP

RADIO SETUP: Wireless -> Basic
* Wireless Mode = 'client bridge'
* Network Mode = match primary router
* Wireless Channel = match primary router
* Channel Width = match primary router
* Wireless Network Name = match primary router

DISABLE FIREWALL: Security -> Firewall
* SPI Firewall = Disable
* Uncheck all checkboxes

CONFIGURE OPERATING MODE: Setup -> Advance Routing
* Operating mode = gateway

Questions
=========
1) Based on the uname response, is this posted in the right forum (Broadcom and not ARM)?
2) Given that I am using two identical routers, but with different firmware, is there any reason why a client bridge should not work?

Any actionable suggestions or diagnostic questions are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsor
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:46    Post subject: Re: RT-68ACU Client Bridge (C-Bridge) Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:

Any actionable suggestions or diagnostic questions are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Unfortunately, radio bridging is broken on many routers when using DD-WRT firmwares after build 27343. Your CB configuration settings appear to be correct.

If possible, a screenshot of the CB's Status -> Wireless webpage would be helpful to confirm that the 5GHz transmitter is shutdown while on 27413. (This assumes that you set a static IP address in your PC on the same subnet as the CB and is ethernet connected to the CB.)

A quick but temporary solution may be to execute rc restart on the CB's Administration -> Commands webpage. (Even if this solves your problem, do not put this comand in a startup script as it will cause a restart loop. A more permanent solution may be to flash 27343 to your CB for now.

I'm currently testing a startup script to fix Repeater Bridges (and Client Bridges?) for the R7000, WZR-D1800H, and WZR-1750DHP routers and should be applicable to others as well.

Update1:
Using the wiki as a guide I had no problem configuring an WZR-1750DHP using build 27734 to run as a Client Bridge to an R7000 Prime router using build 25974. Repeater Bridge is still problematic. My comments above really apply only to RB.

- Magnetron1.1

Last edited by Magnetron1.1 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:34; edited 2 times in total
mr_hyde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:52    Post subject: Re: RT-68ACU Client Bridge (C-Bridge) Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:
DETAILS

DISABLE FIREWALL: Security -> Firewall
* SPI Firewall = Disable
* Uncheck all checkboxes

CONFIGURE OPERATING MODE: Setup -> Advance Routing
* Operating mode = gateway

Have it runnnig on my ASUS. But the Wiki says leave filter multicast 'on' and set the Operating mode from gateway to router
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:22    Post subject: Client Bridge Reply with quote
@Magnetron1.1: Thank you for the suggestion: although the original subject was the C-bridge it is the repeater bridge top be the ultimate goal. the R-bridge has the incremental advantage of allowing wireless clients.

I am curious as to how one would come across the information as to which build to use?

Per the suggestion, I flashed R27343 firmware.

The steps I followed are outline in the diagram:

Key Steps
1) Assign LAN IP and gateway
2) Disable SPI Firewall
3) Setup -> Advance Routing -> operating mode = router
4) Set WPA2 AES encryption to match primary router
5) Status -> Wireless -> Site Survey -> Join

Result of successful configuration:

Again, thank you for the suggestion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: