netgear AC1450 Antenna Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
tokm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 17:01    Post subject: netgear AC1450 Antenna Mod Reply with quote
The netgear AC1450 has 6 internal antenna, 3 for 2.5GHz and 3 for 5GHz.

I have tried all sorts of different software configurations within DD-WRT to get a faster 5GHz 802.11AC signal, but the best speeds I get are ~250mbps (1300 should be possible with WPA2 & AES, although I only expect ~900). When I put my laptop directly in front of the router I can get ~800mbps but my living room is a few walls away...

My question is -- Is it possible to, or has anyone modded any of the netgear routers with internal antenna with a set of larger external antenna? Short of relocating the router or getting a repeater I would like to somehow upgrade the internal antenna to external ones.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Here is what the AC1450 board looks like (This is actually the R6300, but its very similar)-->
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can it be done? Yes, but it appears the current antennae are soldered. You'd either need to remove the old wires and solder the new ones on, or crimp an RP-SMA connector on the end of each current wire after clipping it at the antenna.

It will obviously vary by router, but in my experience, the difference between internal and external antennae is somewhat insignificant.
tokm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
Can it be done? Yes, but it appears the current antennae are soldered. You'd either need to remove the old wires and solder the new ones on, or crimp an RP-SMA connector on the end of each current wire after clipping it at the antenna.

It will obviously vary by router, but in my experience, the difference between internal and external antennae is somewhat insignificant.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up relocating the router, but my signal quality is still crap. Never gets about 43% with the router sitting 10 feet in front of me with no obstructions. The speed has increased to 866mbps which is plenty acceptable for me, i just wish the signal quality would improve...
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you referring to the "clients" list on the bottom of the status page? If so, no worries. Those are never that high. Very few devices transmit with the same power as a router. If you're receiving a good signal on your devices, even a pretty lousy signal there will get your requests through so the router can send the content to you.

If you're actually experiencing problems, that's one thing. If the numbers are getting you anxious, don't let them. Go with how it functions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: