Cisco E900 All Lights On, Bricked(?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
lucas86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've connected the VCC and GND, and i'm getting 3.3v (I've soldered it)

Maybe should i get a new adapter and use the 5v, but the ddwrt serial wiki says 3.3v adapter..

thanks for your support guys.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't hook up vcc. The guide says hook up ground, tx and rx.
Like I've said twice now, if after connecting the rx and tx wires together that are coming off of the adapter and nothing shows in putty after typing, then you have a bad adapter or putty is setup wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You don't hook up vcc. The guide says hook up ground, tx and rx.
Like I've said twice now, if after connecting the rx and tx wires together that are coming off of the adapter and nothing shows in putty after typing, then you have a bad adapter or putty is setup wrong.

This is my putty screen, https://ibb.co/gbJCb7 , it generates one of those blocks every time I power the router up. Ctrl C does not work.

Sorry I decided to continue with this post. thank you for helping.
I believe the bootloader is gone. Do you think it would be possible to use the jtag to flash a new boot loader on? do you know where I could get the file
CEGN
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you checked the power supply (as Murrkf mentioned) ? ; Is the output voltage correct?... if is possible try with other power supply... i've seen that led behavior before on other routers, indicating some kind of power failure.
AlexUrbRad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried multiple power supplies, all of them had good voltages. I think it's a hardware defect, I've had the router for 4 years now and every 2 months I had to reflash the firmware (people said i was doing things wrong if it kept breaking like that Razz ). Anyways this is the worst state it's been in.
Would some kind soul please point me to the cfe.bin file, I've come across this link. https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=678195 , I'm not sure where the cfe starts and where it finishes on the first post
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless someone has a cfe.bin for you to use you won’t be able to flash it.
It’s an E900. What country are you in. I have an e1200v2 you can have for $5 or an e3000 for $10.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
AlexUrbRad wrote:
it generates one of those blocks every time I power the router up. Ctrl C does not work.
Did you try swapping Tx and Rx?
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw, don’t connect vcc. You only connect ground, to and rx.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah thank you for the offer of the Router's , but i'm ok (i'm from south africa Razz ) . I just like trying to keep old things going Very Happy
If I swap the TX and Rx, then i'll have Tx to Tx and Rx to Rx (i'll try when i'm home, if I dont respond then it didnt work ).

I've tried without vcc connected and i've tried powering the board with only vcc. Haven't tried a combo of the two , but that sounds hazardous. All have the same result Sad
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don’t use vcc. You only use ground, to and rx.
The router gets powered by its own power supply.
Touch your tx and rx together and see if your keystrokes are echoed in putty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some tinkering the other day( just used a different machine to communicate with it). I had some little progress, I got it to 'communicate' https://pasteboard.co/HoDMSVG.jpg . Do you think if I somehow get the cfe.bin that this router will be recoverable?

Also the LED lights are dimmed on all the time. It makes me think it is a power supply issue, however I have tried multiple power supplies. I've also checked the voltages throughout the board, all correct. Even the winbond chip is correct at 2.64v (seeming as this is powered by the Broadcom chip, I think Razz ) . I believe it's just a corrupt boot loader ?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
To flash the cfe, you’d have to use jtag, which means buying equipment that would cost more than the router.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
To flash the cfe, you’d have to use jtag, which means buying equipment that would cost more than the router.

I just so happen to have a Jtag laying around
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, then find the correct jtag software with support for that cpu and hunt down a cfe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
AlexUrbRad wrote:
I did some tinkering the other day( just used a different machine to communicate with it). I had some little progress, I got it to 'communicate' https://pasteboard.co/HoDMSVG.jpg . Do you think if I somehow get the cfe.bin that this router will be recoverable?

Also the LED lights are dimmed on all the time. It makes me think it is a power supply issue, however I have tried multiple power supplies. I've also checked the voltages throughout the board, all correct. Even the winbond chip is correct at 2.64v (seeming as this is powered by the Broadcom chip, I think Razz ) . I believe it's just a corrupt boot loader ?

hi,
i'm facing the same problem. e900 all lights on, and can't ping. trying to connect with serial adapter but no outpt in serial termial.
could you share how do you fix it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: