Cisco E900 All Lights On, Bricked(?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Angelus00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 16:51    Post subject: Cisco E900 All Lights On, Bricked(?) Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,

I recently successfully Flash my E900 Router with ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com//others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e900.bin and set it as a Repeater Bridge, Everything was ok until i rebooted my Router ( I unplug it since i was going to change the place i was going to place it) Then suddenly all the lights got lighted and stayed that way, and not available connection I read the forums and try all the "easy" suggestions,

1. I hold the reset button both unplug and plug and access 192.168.1.1/ also the IP address I assign to the Router's Gui and didn't work.

2.Ping it using the CMD Ping -t With both 192.168.1.1 and the IP address i assign to access the routers gui, and receive "Host Unreachable"

3. I try to put the router on " management mode" and still no results.

4. Finally I change the Power Adapter cable and still no results.

I was wondering if the router self bricked(?) for some unknown reason, or by unplugged it cause some sort of power outage making it stay stuck.

Also I notice while connecting directly via Ethernet the router is not detected, either via wireless.

Any suggestions are welcome and please bear with me, I'm new to this. And sorry if my English is bad.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsor
rickW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you cant get the router to enter management mode, and does not respond to a ping to 192.168.1.1, it is lekely the router suffered some damage.

It is my experience that the E900 is very hard to brick. I had mine soft bricked several times and could always bring it back to life by the way of management mode.

Good luck anyway.
Angelus00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
rickW wrote:
If you cant get the router to enter management mode, and does not respond to a ping to 192.168.1.1, it is lekely the router suffered some damage.

It is my experience that the E900 is very hard to brick. I had mine soft bricked several times and could always bring it back to life by the way of management mode.

Good luck anyway.

I attached a picture with my problem, did it happened to you before? maybe I'm doing the Management mode incorrectly. Question,

1. Even though the lights are lighted, when you connected the router via Ethernet does the computer need to detect it? (mine doesn't detect the router neither Ethernet and/or wireless)

2. Also even though i did a hard reset before(and the lights didn't blink or show changes), Does the IP address change to the default one? or do i need to change the static IP address ( IpV4 connection settings) to the one i assign for the router?

3. Is there any "noob" guide to set the Router to "management mode" and if i successfully do it what other steps do I need to do?

I'm sorry I ask these questions, the thing is I search all around the forum and the steps are not very detailed for "Newbies" and even though I'm studying computer science, there are some "Definitions" I don't comprehend correctly, plus English not being my first language doesn't help either.

Thanks for taking your time replying my problem
Very Happy

Router.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  296.94 KB
 Viewed:  20500 Time(s)

Router.png

rickW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, all lights on is a very unusual situation that I have never experienced in any of my routers.

For a short guide on management mode check here
http://www.chrisrivera.com/2008/08/28/how-to-unbrick-a-linksys-router/

When in management mode the router always turns into default 192.168.1.1

Do the following: configure your computer adapter as 192.168.1.8, open a command window and ping 192.168.1.1 -t

Press the reset button for some 30 seconds in the router and see if any changes in the response to the ping. If you get a response from the router, record the TTL and post it in your response.

Hope you can get some reaction to from the E900

BTW, when in management mode, the router power light blinks continously .

Good luck
Angelus00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
rickW wrote:
Well, all lights on is a very unusual situation that I have never experienced in any of my routers.

For a short guide on management mode check here
http://www.chrisrivera.com/2008/08/28/how-to-unbrick-a-linksys-router/

When in management mode the router always turns into default 192.168.1.1

Do the following: configure your computer adapter as 192.168.1.8, open a command window and ping 192.168.1.1 -t

Press the reset button for some 30 seconds in the router and see if any changes in the response to the ping. If you get a response from the router, record the TTL and post it in your response.

Hope you can get some reaction to from the E900

BTW, when in management mode, the router power light blinks continously .

Good luck

Ok, I tried it and it change from "Host Unreachable" to "PING: General Failure", and when I did the Management mode the lights didn't blink it stayed lighted as always. I feel smashing the router down hahaha, I'm currently using a Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router as a repeater but then damn thing transmits so slow compare to the e900

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll probably need to do serial recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You'll probably need to do serial recovery.

Newbie guide of how to do that? Please.

Update: I did some deep searching and I don't think it won't be possible to do the serial recovery since I don't have the cable to do it and i don't think the e900 has a Jtag port and its really impossible to dismantle it (doesn't have screws or a open place to crack it open)

Also I notice another post on the forums has the same problem but no one reply it yet,

LINK: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=284287&highlight=e900

Thanks for the help anyways, really appreciate it Very Happy

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The usb to uart adapter cost a few bucks on eBay.
To open it up, pull the 3 little feet off the bottom of the router and take the screws out.
As to jtag, you don't use jtag for serial recovery, you use the serial pin out.
Also how do you know there is no jtag port?

Also the other person hasn't received an answer? The answer is to try serial recovery.
Google dd-wrt serial recovery to get the wiki page.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow the steps at note 6 of the peacock announcement, including checking the power supply.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
lucas86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there, newbie here Laughing

I'm facing this same issue with this router. I've tried to make the serial port pinout but i'm getting no signal in the putty terminal, maybe i'm doing something wrong? using this guide http://domonkos.tomcsanyi.net/?p=398

Also i was using this unit with this:

dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e900 (1st)
dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k
dd-wrt.v24-26081_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k (last one used)

...for about 7 months without any problem so far... until now Crying or Very sad

Any help? and yes, I've read the peacock thread. Very Happy
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Google dd-wrt serial recovery to get the serial recovery wiki page.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
lucas86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Google dd-wrt serial recovery to get the serial recovery wiki page.

Thanks mate, i've read it too.

It's my first attempt to using the serial recovery, from what i'm seeing in all the videos in youtube about this, is that when the ppl connect the router automatically the unit is booting, but i'm only getting a black window with nothing, (selecting the correct COM port, 115200, etc ..in Putty previously)... so i don't know what to do. Crying or Very sad

Excuse my english.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you connect the tx and rx wires from the USB adapter together and hit some keys on the keyboard, do they show up in your putty terminal?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
When you connect the tx and rx wires from the USB adapter together and hit some keys on the keyboard, do they show up in your putty terminal?

Nope. Nothing.

I've used a paper clips with the serial usb-to-ttl converter

I don't know if I made a bad soldering or the router in this state (all leds on), is inaccessible at any way, even at serial (?) Confused who knows Shocked
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are not getting any echo of your keystrokes in the putty terminal when you connect the tx and rx wires together then you either have putty setup wrong or a bad cable/adapter.
Let's see a picture of the adapter.

Navigation

Jump to: