FCC requiring encrypted router firmware 6/2/16

Goto page Previous  1, 2
TheMC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
So let me understand something... DD-WRT is being developed in Germany, not in the USA. Why should the developers care about what the FCC "enforces" ? FCC's jurisdiction doesn't cover Germany, because Germany is not part of the USA (at least not yet), as far as I know.
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheMC wrote:
So let me understand something... DD-WRT is being developed in Germany, not in the USA. Why should the developers care about what the FCC "enforces" ? FCC's jurisdiction doesn't cover Germany, because Germany is not part of the USA (at least not yet), as far as I know.

Because router manufacturers might choose to apply FCC rules to all their products.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
right. we do not care about the FCC, but we do care about vendors and vendors do not develop special products for each market. by the way. the EU is trying to establish also such a secret law, but it wasnt announced that officially. we just found it out some days ago.

and what people should worry about really?
what makes the difference between a dd-wrt router and a debian or ubuntu linux desktop?

nothing. also in a linux os you can change the regulatory options without any problem. so what comes next. enforcing vendors to only ship secured bios systems where unsigned os installation is impossible. so only trusted fcc approved linux systems can be installed?

sound strange, but yes technically the fcc is going that far. its not just about routers. its about devices which contain 5 ghz capable wireless cards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is just sad. One of the reasons I love DD-WRT is because it gives options that stock firmware doesn't. Just the QOS options are beyond almost every router under $100 and they tend to be used as a way to force people to spend more money to get better firmware.
Another reason is because it tends to be more secure then stock and allow the user to configure it how they want. Personally, I like having my router manage my connection an act as a DHCP server, access point, and switch.
I have friends that use there DD-WRT flashed routers for much more then I do, and stock firmware would never allow it without spending a good $400 on a router.
I think some of the manufactures are upset because of what DD-WRT unlocks on there basic models and are using the FCC to get restrictions.
I live in the USA, and almost everything is run by company's now. The government has puppets that will do whatever to make sure that they keep getting money.
If there is a petition against this, and it's marked as an announcement that 3rd party firmware is in danger, I believe this will be stopped.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
right. we do not care about the FCC, but we do care about vendors and vendors do not develop special products for each market.

This was my initial concern. However, the more I think about it, channels and transmit power are the two issues. Being that these regulations are different based on location, I would think manufacturers would keep a ROW version to actually reduce the number of variations. On the other hand, this could be even more negative, as firmware could be crippled even further to comply with multiple markets.

I find this to be especially disturbing for education. I've setup WiFi for multiple small schools based around dd-wrt because it is cost effective, runs dnsmasq for safe search redirects, and can force the use of opendns. These schools will not have this option for safe, cost effective networks in the future.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
right. we do not care about the FCC, but we do care about vendors and vendors do not develop special products for each market. by the way. the EU is trying to establish also such a secret law, but it wasnt announced that officially. we just found it out some days ago.

and what people should worry about really?
what makes the difference between a dd-wrt router and a debian or ubuntu linux desktop?

nothing. also in a linux os you can change the regulatory options without any problem. so what comes next. enforcing vendors to only ship secured bios systems where unsigned os installation is impossible. so only trusted fcc approved linux systems can be installed?

sound strange, but yes technically the fcc is going that far. its not just about routers. its about devices which contain 5 ghz capable wireless cards

if it is like that so even eu versions are ruined, whats the future of ddwrt/openwrt.? build a mini-itx x86/64 pc + unmanaged switch & put in a wireless nic? would desktop nic's be affected by this or not since they are standalone radios on a card not a router with the same type of fw?

or we're all stuck on using 2.4ghz forever with 3rd party fw? or someone will find a way to hack this signing crap or flash chip replacement services will spring up

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's what Merlin wrote yesterday regarding this topic: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-56-is-available.27809/page-6#post-213612

Looks like things will get pretty bad...

mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Here's what Merlin wrote yesterday regarding this topic: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-56-is-available.27809/page-6#post-213612

Looks like things will get pretty bad...
It is a sad state the business is heading ... it was always going to go this way but I do agree with
his remarks....a little restraint here and there would likely have put the inevitable off a few more years......
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Story continues in thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287362
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: