AR430W: More than one antenna (and other hardware questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
2WIRE is used by AT&T and I guess some other ISPs as the provided modem/router for all of their internet customers. So, considering the sheer size of AT&T, I wouldn't be surprised to see one in every other house Razz. Even in this day and age, the provided 2WIRE for basic DSL doesn't even have QoS, and I just can't stand it anymore (and got the AR430W).
Sponsor
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got bored and "found" the serial pins for the AR430W. They are indeed the 4 pins labeled JP1 on the board. Ignoring the label, they are the four pin contacts in a row in the corner near the flash chip, a push button, and an LED.
http://www.mylilsite.net/images/ar430wserial1.jpg
Top right in this picture.

The pinout is:
When viewed from the top of the board, it would be
[TX] [GND] [3.3V Vcc] [SPACE] [RX]

9600 8-N-1 No flow control
It already runs the redboot for DD-WRT flashing so of course those are the settings, set as default by BS I assume. I don't know for the stock redboot..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent photo and detail. You still need to step down the voltage, right? Like, with a cell phone serial adapter? (You need 3.3 and not 5V, yes?)

You should add this info to the OpenWRT and DD-WRT Wikis. I've been looking for this for a while and was too nervous to try myself.
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, 3.3V, it is the same as the F*nera in that it is really TTL instead of "serial" so you need a TTL-Serial converter. Tempting to make a wiki article for it, but no solid plans right now (zomg college). For now you can follow the F*nera serial wiki
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LaFonera_Hardware_Serial-Cable-Port
just replacing the F*nera pinout pics and stuff with the pinout of the AR430W.

BTW, for some reason the serial console wouldn't do anything for like an hour. Left it on and did some other stuff, then unplugged and replugged the power and the console got the redboot bootup text as it should.. Weird. Just to let you know.

Theres nothing to be nervous about, I know I shorted the wrong pins causing the router to reboot itself before, but hey. Its not dead :] The GND and Vcc pins are obvious anyway, looking at the traces on the board.

EDIT:
BTW, I get more stable wireless using the second antenna, the internal one. "Secondary" in DD-WRT. From the traces it looks like its using some of the grounding traces on the board as the antenna so its reception isn't much worse than the external antenna (in fact I think its better).

Navigation

Jump to: