Easily Turn On/Off OpenVPN

scope11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 14:16    Post subject: Easily Turn On/Off OpenVPN Reply with quote
Hello. I'm a bit of a noob with this, but recently I've managed to flash a Nighthawk r7000 and get OpenVPN up and running with PIA. I have a question.

Before this upgrade, I use Plex Media Server to serve the household's media needs. Everything works fine post-upgrade, with the exception of Remote Access to Plex server. Long story short, I'm going away on vacation and don't have the time to figure out how to make this work wtih the VPN.

I'm looking for an easy way to turn the OpenVPN on and off through the dd-wrt admin page. It would appear that if I disable the client, then I lose all the code lines and have to completely redo it everytime I want to re-enable the vpn. Is there an easy way to toggle VPN service on and off in the dd-wrt software without loosing all the settings?

Thanks
Sponsor
scope11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a little bump. I'm leaving on vacation shortly. The only way I can seem to accomplish this is by creating a back up of dd-wrt setting with and without the VPN settings. Is there no way I can toggle VPN on and off without loosing all the settings?

Thanks
kixkidd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 23:34    Post subject: simple OpenVPN on\off Reply with quote
In one of the certificate dialog boxes, modify the first line, as such:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----STOP

Save the config, apply the config that will stop the connection.

Removing the STOP (and saving and applying) will re-enable the tunnel, but you have to either restart the client router or wait for it's re-connection interval. Which seems to be less than a couple minutes.
netguru76
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
what about start / stop process via ssh?
Or via command line in the dd-wrt webif ... ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: