TP-Link Archer C9 Brick Fix (Revert To Stock Possibly)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
rasciodc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
a1smith wrote:
chrisdmc wrote:
Latest DD-WRT firmware (01/25/2016) no longer overwrites TP-Link partitions, try first to revert to stock using TFTP method!

EDIT: The image is only for Archer c9 v1.

For Archer C9 I have modified 12.bin image from @Heinzek to make it flash from DD-WRT web interface.

WARNING: Wait until somebody that have open the router case and has UART, have flash it and confirms that it works! Otherwise you could end-up with a bricked router.

WARNING: The image will overwrite default MAC and Pin on your router, to restore them you will have to modify the image in same way I have posted instructions for Costco US Archer C1900 (black case) or in the worst case flash the 'default-mac' and 'pin' partitions from CFE with correct data.

To validate the image works as expected:

1. Extract ddwrt-to-factory.bin from the attached zip and flash it from DD-WRT web interface as you would normally flash a DD-WRT update image (webflash.bin). Wait until DD-WRT reboots the router.
2. After DD-WRT reboots the router, do a hard-reset by pressing the reset button for around 30secs or until all the lights turn on.
3. Once in TP-Link web interface, flash the router with an official firmware. It should work.
4. Try to flash the official firmware by using TFTP (instructions by @Heinzek - page 2).

I successfully flashed my TP-Link Archer C9 v1 back to stock firmware using your file. I updated the MAC, PIN, and CRC in the file. Here are a few comments to help out others.

The router MAC and PIN in the file are the original Heinzek values, not the values you mention in the C1900 post. I'm listing the values in the file to prevent confusion and so people can confirm they are updating the correct locations.

Router MAC: 14 CC 20 D1 DC AA
WPA key/WPS pin: 79342513 (37 39 33 34 32 35 31 33 in hex)

The CRC value in the file is 0D 28 7D 83.

Here is my router flash history. I did a factory reset using GUI before flashing to DD-WRT.

1. Original TP-Link Firmware (firmware version 3.17.0, build 20150514, release 70681n)
    2. reset to factory defaults via GUI
    3. DD-WRT 12-24-2015-r28598
    4. DD-WRT 02-01-2016-r29002
    5. DD-WRT 12-24-2015-r28598
    6. reset to factory defaults via GUI
    7. revert to stock firmware via DD-WRT GUI (firmware version 3.16.28, build 20141112, release 46311n)
    8. flash to latest TP-Link firmware via GUI (firmware version 3.17.0, build 20150514, release 70681n)

Some other details:
- I never turned on jffs2 so I didn't clear any nvram this way.
- I never used 'erase nvram' command.
- From telnet, dmesg command after DD-WRT boot was showing 'Northstar Prototype' as hardware. This was probably due to DD-WRT firmware before 1/25/16 overwriting product info.
- I didn't confirm TFTP flash works (step 4 above) but the other two flashes worked without any problems.

You both have saved my router from becoming paper weight! Thank you very much.

Super easy to follow instructions! Even chaging MAC, Pin and CRC was easy. Whole process took me 10 minutes.

My Archer C9 was flashed with ddwrt and was very very unstable and incredibly slow. The tftpd method did not work (bin file was sent but router would always boot to ddwrt).

Now on stock firmware the little guy is soaring.

Tks guys!
Sponsor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 Display posts from previous:    Page 22 of 22
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: