R8000 development

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
I_Broke_DDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
The password is on the bottom of the router.

Thanks for this, that didn't even occur to me as I assumed it would only be the password on stock firmware!

Now my next issue, all the ethernet ports are not working.

I've tried 30/30/30 reset, I've tried the test firmware also. Issue is affecting both WAN and LAN ports. When something is plugged into the LAN port however, the light shows amber, a windows laptop gave itself a self-assigned IP address.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don’t do a 30/30/30 reset to begin with. Which build are you using?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Look at the r7500v2, ea8500 or r7800.
Or if money is no concern, lol, the r9000

Go with the r7800. You have your choice of OEM, DD-WRT (Kong) or Voxel firmware.

@m0j0 I second this. Definitely go R7800. The CPU is much faster and your firmware choices are the best as it works extremely well on every project: OEM, Voxel, DD-WRT, OpenWrt 18.06+, and now even DumaOS.

@I_Broke_DDWRT it's been said time and time again don't do 30/30/30 reset on ARM. This has been obsolete for half a decade. To reset simply do "nvram erase" in the shell or web UI.
ZeroLabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Long time DD-WRT user here. Finally replaced my old Linksys e1200 with a Netgear R8000. Held my breath as I went to upgrade the firmware after reading some comments beforehand about firmware regression errors. Thankfully I was coming off factory v1.0.4.12_10.1.46. It complained but let me load the .chk then the .bin. I'm using the latest build from the router database DD-WRT v3.0-r36527 std (08/09/18).

The problem is, when I sniff with my wi-fi analyzer app, wl0 does not seem to be working at all and wl2 operates in 20MHz mode even with 40MHz selected. Both 5GHz radios have unique SSID. Both are set to Mixed mode.

Are there other settings I should try?

If not, is there another firmware version you might recommend that is known to fully function with both 5GHz radios?

Thanks in advance.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this one http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8000.bin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try this one http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8000.bin

Agreed. For my setup, this (30/07/2018) is the R8000 most stable build ever. All my thanks go to @Kong, for keeping this up.
ZeroLabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Kong's personal stash, eay? Nice. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the fast reply!
ZeroLabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ZeroLabs wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Kong's personal stash, eay? Nice. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the fast reply!
I'm getting ready to swap it out. I've seen conflicting opinion on whether or not to do a 30/30/30 vs tftp nvram reset, etc. Any thoughts on this?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
No 30/30/30. Just reset it from the GUI.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I tried that several times and had a lot of trouble getting the ethernet port to respond to taking the firmware upload. After my third attempt I gave up and performed 30/30/30. Smooth sailing from there. The version is r36070M. I'm reloading the parameters now.

Update, firmware is humming. Two things interesting to note:
    * Still only have one working 5GHz radio but this time it's wl0 instead of wl2, and the power level is now adjustable. However, the bandwidth is still only 20 MHz regardless of firmware setting.
    * A bug that prevented me from cloning the Wi-Fi MAC address in the std version now sometimes reflects the entered value, sometimes shows the LAN MAC. Strange but tolerable. I now force the Wi-Fi MAC to the LAN MAC and it's stable. WAN cloning is the important one.

Not having both 5GHz radios up is not such a big deal. It's not like my home is an enterprise with high congestion. Just a curiosity. Thanks for the help. GREAT community!
ZeroLabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to update the community on my experience with this Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M kongac (05/31/18)

After quite a bit of tinkering with the 5G radios wl0 and wl2 I discovered that I can indeed get both working with 80MHz bandwidth at 1300 Mbps each. The key is the order in which changes are saved through the Wireless Basic config menus. Each time something is changed, it must be Saved but not Applied until all changes are final. I found it easiest to:
    * Change the Channel Width first and save. Then
    * Change the Extension Channel and save. Then
    * Change Wireless Channel from Auto to a fixed value and save. Then
    * Apply Settings
I also found that this firmware really does not behave well with the wl2 5GHz radio in Auto channel select mode on the R8000. wl0 covers the upper 5GHz channels, wl2 covers the lower 5GHz channels. With wl2 in Auto select, the firmware tries to assign it to an upper range channel it is not capable of using, which is why it was not working for me. Both are working great now that I am using fixed channels.
jjackson81281
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 20:14    Post subject: R8000 Reply with quote
Ok so this netgear R8000 has been a total PITA.
I've gotten DD-wrt and Openwrt to work on all manner of linksys and Dlink devices, tplink and old netgears as well but MY issue is when i try to update the chk file to any of the working builds, any of the factory to dd-wrt chk files i get "The firmware is not compatiable with your router. Error code -1."
I tried connecting serial ttl using my ardunio micro and a custom code that allows me to view the initial start up but doesn't seem to allow CFE access with Ctrl+C
I have been able to use NTE to give telnet access, but here is sit with TFTP32/64 ready to be used an no way to use it, I am able to create a ftp connection via telnet but I'm kinda drawing a blank at how to proceed with that. Also I can get into the ip/debug.htm page where i can see where the device looks for FTP and HTTPS locations to pull firmware. I'm just curious on how in gods name i can get at least an initial custom firmware on this SOB in order to start making it my own monster.
IF anyone has a recommendation or better yet want to hold my petery hand through this I'd greatly appreciate it.

INIT2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.58 KB
 Viewed:  5981 Time(s)

INIT2.PNG

INIT.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.79 KB
 Viewed:  5981 Time(s)

INIT.PNG

debug.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.26 KB
 Viewed:  5982 Time(s)

debug.PNG

zillamania
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same boat as above. Any ideas?
pogiman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 14:31    Post subject: Re: R8000 Reply with quote
jjackson81281 wrote:
Ok so this netgear R8000 has been a total PITA.
I've gotten DD-wrt and Openwrt to work on all manner of linksys and Dlink devices, tplink and old netgears as well but MY issue is when i try to update the chk file to any of the working builds, any of the factory to dd-wrt chk files i get "The firmware is not compatiable with your router. Error code -1."
I tried connecting serial ttl using my ardunio micro and a custom code that allows me to view the initial start up but doesn't seem to allow CFE access with Ctrl+C
I have been able to use NTE to give telnet access, but here is sit with TFTP32/64 ready to be used an no way to use it, I am able to create a ftp connection via telnet but I'm kinda drawing a blank at how to proceed with that. Also I can get into the ip/debug.htm page where i can see where the device looks for FTP and HTTPS locations to pull firmware. I'm just curious on how in gods name i can get at least an initial custom firmware on this SOB in order to start making it my own monster.
IF anyone has a recommendation or better yet want to hold my petery hand through this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are you sure that you are also sending the serial commands to the router and not just reading the output? I did the same using my arduino Due using the hardware serial outputs (need 3.3V). Right at the prompt loading "CFE Foxonn...", I start mashing ctrl-c in the putty program. I get into the CFE and you need to do the command "flash -noheader : nflash1.trx" Then the TFTP server starts and you have about 10 seconds to send it or it will close. So I had the tftp ready to go with the firmware (you dont need the initial flash file, just use the final build). Once I send the flash command, you immediately tftp the firmware over and it will take it. Once its finished sending, you will see "Programming..." (before, just sending over tftp will do nothing since Netgear is blocking the firmware. this is why we need -noheader) Now everything works as it should. Just do not flash the newest netgear firmware (i believe old ones are ok, they just blocked downgrading at some point)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 29 of 30
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: