Unstable WiFi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 23:48    Post subject: Unstable WiFi Reply with quote
I have dd-wrt on Netgear WNR3500L v2. My firmware version is from 4 Nov 19. In my opinion I have rather unstable WiFi connection. When devices connected to router have very dynamic RX and TX parameters. Connection is rather unstable and slow ~30 - 40 mbit/s when I have wireless N mode force. I have a lot RX and TX packet errors. How Can I fix this situation ? I think in previously version of firmware WIFI condition is similar. Have you got any hints for this problem.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
google dd-wrt basic wireless settings

google dd-wrt advanced wireless settings

read the build threads posted over the past couple of years

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 14:16    Post subject: Re: Unstable WiFi Reply with quote
thommy181 wrote:
I have dd-wrt on Netgear WNR3500L v2. My firmware version is from 4 Nov 19. In my opinion I have rather unstable WiFi connection. When devices connected to router have very dynamic RX and TX parameters. Connection is rather unstable and slow ~30 - 40 mbit/s when I have wireless N mode force. I have a lot RX and TX packet errors.
What is a lot? What percent from the status page? And do you have clients that are at a distance, or come and go often (like phones, etc)?
1. If you haven't reset on this build, do so (`nvram erase && reboot` from telnet/ssh) then manually setup (no backups)
2. Don't use Auto channel; use a scanner to check for interference
3. Do what kp69 said Wink
4. Test a few times for reference. Change Ack Timing to 0 and retest.
5. Switch from default 'Mixed' modes to 'N*-Mixed' and retest.
6. Don't mess with Advanced Wireless until you've done the above. The only advanced setting I sometimes change is BT Coexist = Preempt; everything seemed to always kill my speed.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 14:48    Post subject: Unstable WiFi Reply with quote
WIFI speed is low very often. I think it not depend of length from AP. I have smartphone 1 meter longer and internet speed is only 30 ~ 40 mbit. I have 120 mbit from ISP. Thank you for hints I will test that and make many speed tests. My main problem is dynamic changes of connection speed. In 1 sec I have 40 mbit and for example 2 secs later is only 2 - 3 mbit. I would to fix this problem. My AP isn't overloaded (2 - 3 devices on wifi with small data utilisation).
parco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 18:06    Post subject: Re: Unstable WiFi Reply with quote
thommy181 wrote:
WIFI speed is low very often. I think it not depend of length from AP. I have smartphone 1 meter longer and internet speed is only 30 ~ 40 mbit. I have 120 mbit from ISP. Thank you for hints I will test that and make many speed tests. My main problem is dynamic changes of connection speed. In 1 sec I have 40 mbit and for example 2 secs later is only 2 - 3 mbit. I would to fix this problem. My AP isn't overloaded (2 - 3 devices on wifi with small data utilisation).

Me here have the similar troubles as well. Drivers should be one of posssible causes, and DD-WRT has further problems in interruptions and irrational thread locking, which cause buffer obstruction (overflow) and wifi authentication malfunctions.

Here are my three active tickets related to the same possible cause:
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6882
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6881
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6721

As what I said inside, bugs seem related and proved what I've deduced above: incorrectly exceptional long time interruptions which lock threads for seconds and prevent their well proper operations.
E.g. Stopping forwarding packets from wifi to WAN correctly for seconds, or stopping AP from authenticating the connection requests from phones.

But I still can't be sure that what is the actual causation between your unstable WiFi problem and interruption problem.
If the interruption problem leads to the unstable WiFi problem? Or if the unstable WiFi problem results in the interruption problem?
Huh...... have to be further looked into.... Confused
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
PHONES DO NOT CONNECT AT THE SAME SPEED AS LAPTOPS OR PCs Holy cow. Really? Nobody knew this? And yes, the connection speed reports random speed numbers, regardless. I don't know why, I didn't code this firmware. But it's the nature of the beast. ANYHOW, I hope that clarifies some things. Also, for Broadcom, if BS would've followed other folks' ideas and lead, we'd be using a fully patched CentOS/RHEL 2.6 kernel for Broadcom with FastNAT for MIPS and CTF for ARM and probably not having the issues that we do, but what the f*ck do I know.

----------------------
parco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:24    Post subject: Re: Unstable WiFi Reply with quote
thommy181 wrote:

Yes and just as I said, they are just using slow WAN ISP and never know how is the really actual situation of us who are using fast WAN ISP. I have 100Mbps from ISP now and 1Gbps before a few years ago. We are the similar type of user.

And just told them to test that the result in fast LAN and the result in fast WAN are completely two different matters. Have to go through NAT tables and forwarding engine in gateway, plus firewall, when transmitting through between WLAN and WAN, much more codes to be run than WLAN to LAN. And so there are much more things could deadblock the transmissions between WLAN and WAN and cause the obstructions. Always pretty good through WLAN to LAN but s**ks through WLAN to WAN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have an internet connection that your hardware will not support for shit, upgrade. Factory firmware won't even work for shit on 100mb on the EA2700, and definitely not 1Gigabit. The processor ain't fast enough and you don't have enough physical or virtual memory to make it work good.

----------------------
parco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simple, then just explain why wired LAN to WAN can still actually 97Mbps download and upload in test, meanwhile less than 50% CPU usage and only 60% RAM totally used. Otherwise repeating those myths without any scientific senses are completely pointless.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only get marginal improvements with factory firmware on similar hardware on 50/10, nothing that is a "holy shit that's fast" result. The only firmware that improves in comparison is FT. So, until you can show side-by-side comparisons with factory firmware that prove otherwise, or can patch DD-WRT to un-fuck it, then I will stand by my statements. Has there been a slowdown over the course of the last almost two years of running DD-WRT on my E4200? Yes. I just wish I remember what build I was getting nearly 60 down and 10+ up on, because I would switch back to it in a heartbeat. I probably need to tweak my QoS settings again to see if I can't manage to fix it, BUT, I wasn't using QoS before when I was getting better results, so, it's a wireless driver issue on top of the limitations within DD-WRT itself. This is a known thing. You also cannot expect a mixed wireless environment to work well, anyway. Especially on DD-WRT. But as always, I don't know shit.

----------------------
parco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thought you can explain about LAN 97Mbps but now just can read words beating around the bush. Ok so I've just overestimated you, fine, my fault.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I only get marginal improvements with factory firmware on similar hardware on 50/10

Stockware you meant? So stockware even runs faster than DD-WRT did you mean?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
until you can show side-by-side comparisons with factory firmware that prove otherwise

Isn't that enough to compare 97Mbps LAN to WAN with SFE turned on in DD-WRT with 60Mbps LAN to WAN with SFE turned off in DD-WRT?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
or can patch DD-WRT to un-fuck it

OK then please some DD-WRT programmers here just brief me over all the codes, folders and parts inside row by row and tell me how they run, and give me a lab with those routers in for test, although I'm not too familiar with Linux, but at least I know such concepts in this image. And please read all I've written inside that ticket 6882 before arguing with me with your bulls**t. Gods! just anyone here really know about how a computer work?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
it's a wireless driver issue on top of the limitations within DD-WRT itself.

That's totally the limitations by the codes inside DD-WRT itself, or the codes inside wireless driver, while just 30% of CPU used then stop forwarding packets. Id you are telling me that is the hardware limitation, then what are the 70% rest idle CPU workload for? What is purpose of DD-WRT reserved 70% CPU workload for? and codes just can run less than 30% CPU workloads and that's the hardware limitation you told me? 70% is reserved for displaying Battlefield 5, GTA 5 or Minecraft? huh?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
You also cannot expect a mixed wireless environment to work well, anyway.

Ok now @thommy181 can you read this? This guy is telling you that you cannot expect N-Only mode + WPA2 only mode + AES only mode + 0 Key Renewal Interval + 0 ack timing + BT Coexist Preempt to work well anyway. That he means is: You guys cannot expect DD-WRT to work well anyway, DD-WRT project is abandoned and all you guys should go back and flash back your stockware provided by the manufacturer of your router, and leave DD-WRT, can you guys read this buy means?

Actually this kernel-panic69 seems not like the kernel-panic69 I knew before a few months ago. Or seems like kernel-panic69 has just drunk too much whiskey. If you have not really read all I written inside those tickets before your blah blah blah and still keep repeating those futile s**ts then I'm not so wanna tell you just shutup and GFYS.

TCP-ring-buffer[1].png
 Description:
driver buffer not means Backlogs not means TCP stacks buffer (tcp_rmem)
 Filesize:  184.99 KB
 Viewed:  5487 Time(s)

TCP-ring-buffer[1].png

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’m about to lock this thread. Stop it with the name calling and the “GFYS”.
There is one developer here, not developers, Brainslayer, and he does what he wants.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
parco wrote:
Actually this kernel-panic69 seems not like the kernel-panic69 I knew before a few months ago. Or seems like kernel-panic69 has just drunk too much whiskey. If you have not really read all I written inside those tickets before your blah blah blah and still keep repeating those futile s**ts then I'm not so wanna tell you just shutup and GFYS.

I tried to explain to YOU what the problems were with your EA2700 configurations within the limitations of this firmware and you completely ignored me. Go ahead, feel free to tell me where to go and how to get there. I won't lose sleep over it. You are more than welcome to download the entire 20+ GB SVN repo and get to work on fixing the problems if you know so much.

Feel free to lock it or do whatever you wish, Malachi. I'm done trying.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: