Linksys EA6500v2 DD-WRT install tutorial

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
harmonyit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 21:39    Post subject: Fix for command error and NVRAM Reply with quote
nlbailey wrote:
I was able to flash to ddwrt but when entering the command in I'm getting a 'sh: eval: line 3: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting' error. I moved the command all to the same line so there isn't even a line 3 but still doesn't work. Any suggestions? I'm using the files from the google drive link.

Edit: I've read through this thread over and over and just saw the note about the error not mattering. My question is that my NVRAM usage is still showing as 31.57KB /64KB still. Is this normal?

No, mine is showing 25KB/64KB after adding the script. The script does a have an error in it like you said. I fixed it, before that it made no difference to the NVRAM. Here is what mine has (copied straight out of the config page):

nvram show | grep =$ | wc -l
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

Note that there are 2 lines here, not 3, watch for line wrap. The "done" is the last command on the second line

Put it in and then restart and you should see the NVRAM at more like 25KB

*** without this script I ended up at 34KB and the configuration got corrupted causing the router to lose the 2.4GHz Wifi!
Sponsor
nlbailey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 21:53    Post subject: Re: Fix for command error and NVRAM Reply with quote
harmonyit wrote:
nlbailey wrote:
I was able to flash to ddwrt but when entering the command in I'm getting a 'sh: eval: line 3: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting' error. I moved the command all to the same line so there isn't even a line 3 but still doesn't work. Any suggestions? I'm using the files from the google drive link.

Edit: I've read through this thread over and over and just saw the note about the error not mattering. My question is that my NVRAM usage is still showing as 31.57KB /64KB still. Is this normal?

No, mine is showing 25KB/64KB after adding the script. The script does a have an error in it like you said. I fixed it, before that it made no difference to the NVRAM. Here is what mine has (copied straight out of the config page):

Note that there are 2 lines here, not 3, watch for line wrap. The "done" is the last command on the second line

*** without this script I ended up at 34KB and the configuration got corrupted causing the router to lose the 2.4GHz Wifi!

Worked like a charm! Now the last issue I am having is with the WAN. When set to DHCP it doesn't work but if I pull the DHCP settings I get when plugging in my computer direct and adding them in as static it works fine. Could this have been because of the NVRAM? Should I try DHCP again now?
harmonyit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 22:16    Post subject: Re: Fix for command error and NVRAM Reply with quote
nlbailey wrote:
harmonyit wrote:
nlbailey wrote:

Worked like a charm! Now the last issue I am having is with the WAN. When set to DHCP it doesn't work but if I pull the DHCP settings I get when plugging in my computer direct and adding them in as static it works fine. Could this have been because of the NVRAM? Should I try DHCP again now?

Absolutely, I actually couldn't get 2.4GHz to work again until I reset the router config to defaults. Once the NVRAM is scrambled up its game over.

So, I'd do this: reset the router to defaults. I did this by holding in the reset button. When you get back into it, add the script first thing. Reboot. Mine had 24KB/64KB NVRAM at that point. I then proceeded to set everything up and it all just worked and has stayed working with NVRAM at 25KB/64KB fully configured.
nlbailey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 22:25    Post subject: Re: Fix for command error and NVRAM Reply with quote
harmonyit wrote:

So, I'd do this: reset the router to defaults. I did this by holding in the reset button. When you get back into it, add the script first thing. Reboot. Mine had 24KB/64KB NVRAM at that point. I then proceeded to set everything up and it all just worked and has stayed working with NVRAM at 25KB/64KB fully configured.

I will do as you suggested once my kids get their Netflix watching in Laughing Also I see that someone is running the 31924 build. Anyone try any of the newer builds from the last month or so?
watchsat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 0:58    Post subject: Re: Fix for command error and NVRAM Reply with quote
nlbailey wrote:
harmonyit wrote:

I will do as you suggested once my kids get their Netflix watching in Laughing Also I see that someone is running the 31924 build. Anyone try any of the newer builds from the last month or so?

Just picked up two EA6500V2 units and followed the instruction, tested the newest r33607 and r33555, both are only running fine for less one day, then start loosing default gateway...

Currently downgrade both to r33525 version and see what happen tomorrow....
wog1958
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:18    Post subject: Re: Same error no matter what firmware... Reply with quote
Likipedia wrote:

I get this even if I try linksys' firmware.
I have the latest and like the other guy, no luck so I tried to reflash the newest one and still got this error!

I was able to get around this on my EA6500v2 by doing the following:

1. Reset router to factory defaults from GUI.

2. Physically open router and connect USB-to-serial cable to serial debug port. Use Putty with baud=115200 8 1 N flow control=none. Hit enter and you should have a prompt. Log in as admin/admin.

3. run these commands to flash the "initial_flash"
~ # cd /tmp
/tmp # wget ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2013/12-24-2013-r23204/linksys-ea6500v2/linksys-ea6500v2-webflash.bin
Connecting to ftp.dd-wrt.com (185.84.6.100:21)
linksys-ea6500v2-web 100% |*******************************| 23536k 00:00:00 ETA
/tmp # flashcp -v linksys-ea6500v2-webflash.bin /dev/mtd2
Erasing blocks: 184/184 (100%)
Writing data: 23536k/23536k (100%)
Verify data: 23536k/23536k (100%)
/tmp # reboot

4. Router should now boot back up as dd-wrt firmware. If it still comes up as factory linksys firmware, then you need to go into the GUI 192.168.1.1 and select "flash prior firmware version". This will cause router to reboot and come up as dd-wrt firmware.

5. NOW that you have dd-wrt running, go ahead and complete the rest of the install instruction listed in page 1 / top post in this thread.

ENJOY.
Birraque
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 21:05    Post subject: Re: Same error no matter what firmware... Reply with quote
wog1958 wrote:
Likipedia wrote:

I get this even if I try linksys' firmware.
I have the latest and like the other guy, no luck so I tried to reflash the newest one and still got this error!

I was able to get around this on my EA6500v2 by doing the following:

1. Reset router to factory defaults from GUI.

2. Physically open router and connect USB-to-serial cable to serial debug port. Use Putty with baud=115200 8 1 N flow control=none. Hit enter and you should have a prompt. Log in as admin/admin.

3. run these commands to flash the "initial_flash"
~ # cd /tmp
/tmp # wget ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2013/12-24-2013-r23204/linksys-ea6500v2/linksys-ea6500v2-webflash.bin
Connecting to ftp.dd-wrt.com (185.84.6.100:21)
linksys-ea6500v2-web 100% |*******************************| 23536k 00:00:00 ETA
/tmp # flashcp -v linksys-ea6500v2-webflash.bin /dev/mtd2
Erasing blocks: 184/184 (100%)
Writing data: 23536k/23536k (100%)
Verify data: 23536k/23536k (100%)
/tmp # reboot

4. Router should now boot back up as dd-wrt firmware. If it still comes up as factory linksys firmware, then you need to go into the GUI 192.168.1.1 and select "flash prior firmware version". This will cause router to reboot and come up as dd-wrt firmware.

5. NOW that you have dd-wrt running, go ahead and complete the rest of the install instruction listed in page 1 / top post in this thread.

ENJOY.

Hi all,

Same weird "Invalid firmware file" message here.
My Linksys EA6500 v2 is running firmware (Linksys 1.1.41.183873)
I cant upgrade to DD-WRT (12-24-2013-r23204) or downgrade to (Linksys 1.1.40.166281)
Is there a way to handle this without connect USB-to-serial cable to serial debug port?

Best Regards,
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
John-Galt wrote:
John-Galt wrote:
I'm now running r30880 on my EA6500v2 with no issues.
I'm now running DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17) on my EA6500v2. 15 days uptime and no issues.
Now running DD-WRT v3.0-r36410 on my EA6500v2 with no issues. I have DNSMasq, QOS with HTB/fq_codel and DNSCrypt enabled; I'm running it at 600MHz. 70Mbit cable modem connection. 3 days uptime and rock solid.

I did have to reset all settings and manually set it up, but it did not take long and things are now running perfectly.

I opened up the router and put 80mm fan on top, and I put heatsinks on a few of the chips to keep the temperature down. I was seeing 90C, now it runs between 40C and 60C depending on the weather (router is in my attic with no air circulation up there).
gti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally decided to pull my 6500v2 out of storage and put dd-wrt on it. This thing is really a pain in the rearend to work with. But managed to get it running the way I want after 2 days.

Now it has r36410 running with the Wl0(2.4ghz) doing client mode for internet and the wl1(5Ghz) doing AP serving the LAN/subnet with about 8-10 wired/wireless devices.
The only thing left to do is to disassemble it and redo the cpu heatsink/compound. CPU temp is up to 95C now which is not what I like. Also set it to 600mhz as the poster above but does not seem to bring down the temp at all.

What I learned from mine is 70% of the config change I made seems to have failed when actually it worked!! That is the most pain I had. So verify after every change even if it tells you it failed Razz
Right now I had to do SFTP/SSH to bring over new firmware and flash with "mtd -f write" to update ANY firmware; and even then it tells me it is not working right. But it will flash and works fine afterward. I just cannot get the GUI to flash anything.
Oh and the GUI tells me I have a EA6700 too Very Happy

And not all sftp client works with mine (winscp does thank god).

And the nvram script in the OP does not work for me.
I had to use the revised version posted above.
Used NVRAM is at 25K stable after all config.
TonyVov
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 17:24    Post subject: Linksys EA6500v2 DD-WRT install tutorial Reply with quote
Posting in case it helps someone....
Struggled to load DD-WRT from factory for EA6500 V2
Found out that latest firmware FW_EA6500v2_1.1.40.176451_prod
has some kind of lock/signing thing going on so it is not possible to load from Web Command interface - reported as invalid firmware OR with TFTP - reported as no communication with server.
I found under Linksys Troubleshooting I could go back to previous version of Linksys. 1.1.40.166281
After this I was able to follow the tutorial instructions.
Flashing initially with r23204 then upgrading and adding the startup script.
Running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36698M std (08/22/1Cool
EA6500V2 Router is setup as wireless Repeater Bridge so I guess I'm not using a lot of features.
This setup only uses the 2.4G radio not the 5G. The instructions recommends not to use both.
NVRAM is reporting at 32 so far 2 days of use - getting some freezing of www access but not sure if that is my local ISP or this thing.
Huge shoutout to themitch for posting this guide - it has let me get signal to inaccessible areas.
canopus19652000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 0:18    Post subject: EA6500v2 CFE fix methode Reply with quote
Hi everybody,

I am going to install DD-WRT in to EA6500v2. I am confused a bit. The point is that, LinksysInfo.org describes method to fix 32K bug by flashing modified CFE. (Type "EA6500v2 CFE" in Google to find the link)

DD-WRT provides special startup script to “manage” this problem:

The question is why dd-wrt does not use/mentioned CFE-fix method?

Thanks for response.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 0:59    Post subject: Re: EA6500v2 CFE fix methode Reply with quote
canopus19652000 wrote:
Hi everybody,

Thanks for response.

This will remove nvram variables that contain no value (unused) then you can have extra space to put more extra vars. There is no CFE-fix method due to proprieties copyright.

If for an individual person for an educational purpose only then you can do anything on its without relating benefit and business then it is ok but dd-wrt does not.....being ok.
canopus19652000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46    Post subject: Re: EA6500v2 CFE fix methode Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:
canopus19652000 wrote:
Hi everybody,

Thanks for response.

This will remove nvram variables that contain no value (unused) then you can have extra space to put more extra vars. There is no CFE-fix method due to proprieties copyright.

If for an individual person for an educational purpose only then you can do anything on its without relating benefit and business then it is ok but dd-wrt does not.....being ok.

Thank you very much for explanation.
Yes, I am a private person. I do not do any business doing that. I did not know that there is some "legal" restrictions behind the scena, but technical ones.

The point is that, every time we flash new build, we need to remember to add this command in to startup. It is not very useful Smile Especially when we do not know what is the "stable" build and have to try many of them.

Any case, thank you very much. I'm gonna use CFE-fix.
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
John-Galt wrote:
John-Galt wrote:
John-Galt wrote:
I'm now running r30880 on my EA6500v2 with no issues.
I'm now running DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17) on my EA6500v2. 15 days uptime and no issues.
Now running DD-WRT v3.0-r36410 on my EA6500v2 with no issues. I have DNSMasq, QOS with HTB/fq_codel and DNSCrypt enabled; I'm running it at 600MHz. 70Mbit cable modem connection. 3 days uptime and rock solid.

I did have to reset all settings and manually set it up, but it did not take long and things are now running perfectly.

I opened up the router and put 80mm fan on top, and I put heatsinks on a few of the chips to keep the temperature down. I was seeing 90C, now it runs between 40C and 60C depending on the weather (router is in my attic with no air circulation up there).
28 days of uptime on 36410, no issues.
Obsidian...
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much OP. This saved me. I'm booting up 410 since it seems to be working for everyone.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: