Linksys WRT54GL v1.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
a.appel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 13:06    Post subject: Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 Reply with quote
On the Wiki-page for the Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys) is said "Requires Mini Build for first flash!". Does this mean that I can put a full version after the first flash?
Sponsor
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes of course.

Your router have 4 mb flash memory thats enougth for the other builds like standard, vpn, etc.

But you have to do the initial flash procedure with the mini-build otherwise you will brick your router.
Treb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup. There are some people that claim that flashing mini first isn't needed with newer GL's...
Better safe than sorry, so flash mini first and then which ever build has your fancy.

Don't forget to do the 30 seconds reset before and after every flash procedure!

rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2719
2xWRT54GSv1.0
1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
zmeura
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have brick my WRT54GL V1.1 with flash EON EN29LV320B (I suppose it's the same with MX29LV320B)and I have try JTAG and an CFE posted here,but the flash is not recognized.
So,first I have saved my cfe.bin

Tjtag -backup:cfe /fc:29

and put it back,same problem.After that I was doing this:

Tjtag -erase:wholeflash /noreset /fc:29
Tjtag -flash:cfe /noreset /fc:29

and now it's stoping at 3% adress 1fc02000 every time I am trying to flash it.What to do?And where I can find cfe.bin for this?It is corect to use /fc:29 in command line?

Last edited by zmeura on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:00; edited 1 time in total
zmeura
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have solved the problem:
Flash EON EN29LV320B=AMD 29LV320MB

Tjtag -erase:wholeflash /noreset /fc:18

Tjtag -flash:cfe /noreset /fc:18

CFE from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=143120#143120
and instructions from
http://www.petri.co.il/install_dd_wrt_router_firmware.htm

Thank you Mojso for CFE.
adammcc81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:57    Post subject: mini first flash Reply with quote
I just flashed my version 1.1 gl for the first time and it will work with the 23 sp 2 generic. But if you don't feel comfortable use the mini first. The 1.0 as I have read still must be done with the mini first.
jaban
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Debricking a WRT54GL v1.1 s/n CL7C with the EON EN29LV320B flash chip.

You can use the "pin short" trick to get it to debrick, but with some changes:

1. Put your network card into 10Mb half-duplex mode with an IP 192.168.1.2. And plug into your router, of course.

2. With the router power unplugged, short pin 16 to ground (to the antenna block).

3. After plugging in the power, keep the pin shorted until the LAN lights go out (except the one you're plugged into, of course).

4. Use the Linksys TFTP utility to update to stock firmware. It's available at ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe

Note: I tried Microsoft's TFTP several times first. It could upload the firmware just fine, but it wouldn't work properly afterwards. The Linksys utility worked right away.

5. Wait until the orange LED comes on.

After that, do what you want.

So basically the procedure is the same as before except (A) you're shorting pin 16 to ground, (B) you're keeping it shorted for a few extra seconds after the power is plugged in, (C) you're using Linksys TFTP.
rmclaren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm ready to try this. Sounds easier than building a JTAG. Has anyone else successfully used this procedure?
Fon 2100
SMC 2804WBRP-G print server
NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 beta w/ Asterisk 1.6 beta 9 BarracudaServer
SMCWAPS-G NAS
SPA3000
Support WRT54GL v23 SP2 & v24 RC2
tasadam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I finally got around to giving jtag a go - had 2 dead routers laying around here for ages.
Got one going.

Symptom - All lights on, power light flashing, no ping.
Do the pin short thing and it responds to pings but no TFTP comms, no menu from web browser. Power off and on again and all lights come back on, power light flashing.

Solution -
Build a jtag.
Sounds scary? C'mon, all you need to know how to do is solder.
You need a DB25 male connetor with solder pins, four 100 ohm resistors, and some wires.
I soldered mine straight to the cct brd of the router knowing I would be disconnecting them again if I got it going.
Install the driver on the computer, plug the cable in, get a DOS prompt and run the program
wrt54g -erase:nvram
All fixed. Browser came up, loaded correct firmware (paying attention to correct reset procedures for flashing) and all is sweet again.
I have been told it's not such a good idea to short the pins on the flash chip - certainly from my experience I can relate to that.
Now I know how easy Jtag is, I'll never need to again I reckon.

v24-sp2 build 12387
Axel Stone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
zmeura wrote:
I have solved the problem:
Flash EON EN29LV320B=AMD 29LV320MB

Tjtag -erase:wholeflash /noreset /fc:18

Tjtag -flash:cfe /noreset /fc:18

CFE from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=143120#143120
and instructions from
http://www.petri.co.il/install_dd_wrt_router_firmware.htm

Thank you Mojso for CFE.

The FC option is wrong with 4.8. The AMD29LV320MB is correct for an EON EN29LV320B.

Your a lifesaver.
koniu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
jaban wrote:
Debricking a WRT54GL v1.1 s/n CL7C with the EON EN29LV320B flash chip.

You can use the "pin short" trick to get it to debrick, but with some changes:

1. Put your network card into 10Mb half-duplex mode with an IP 192.168.1.2. And plug into your router, of course.
2. With the router power unplugged, short pin 16 to ground (to the antenna block).
3. After plugging in the power, keep the pin shorted until the LAN lights go out (except the one you're plugged into, of course).
4. Use the Linksys TFTP utility to update to stock firmware. It's available at ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe
5. Wait until the orange LED comes on.

This has worked perfectly with my WRT54GLv1.1 sn:CL7B which features the same flash chip. I had it stuck in the bootloader without boot_wait, flashing power led indefinitely while all LAN leds were constantly on. Now happily running OpenWRT 10.3

Thanks for the tip!
ninelives
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:14    Post subject: Still having problems Reply with quote
I've been having this exact problem for a while now with one of my WRT54GL's. Today I built a jtag cable and have been trying to fix the problem. I've backed multiply times and compared to verify my setup works properly. I've backed up after flashing to make sure the flash wrote properly. But after all this I still have all 4 lan lights on and the power blinking.

I've tried erasing the nvram and the kernel. I haven't yet tried erasing the wholeflash as suggested here in the solved post as I only noticed that while writing this post(but i haven't seen that elsewhere so I don't expect that to be required to get to tftp recovery)

I have this same CL7C serial number and the same EON EN29LV320B flash chip. I put my network card in 10mb half amd still have no ping.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a save command or some trick to restarting other that unplugging? I've tried using IMGTOOL_NVRAM to set boot_wait=on in the cfe but still the same problem. I plan to backup the cfe and nvram from my other wrt54gl purchased at the same time and try restoring those files.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the jtag wiki article. Make sure you are following note 11 of the peacock to flash the kernel.

Your CFE should not be damaged, but if it is, you need to erase it and flash a CFE. If you erased the kernel and the nvram and power cycled and all the lights are still on, you need to erase the cfe. Erase the wholeflash twice. Then flash a generic cfe from the cfe collection sticky, and then if it works, hexedit your macs into the generic cfe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have done as suggested. Still after multiple erase:wholeflash commands and a backup:wholeflash to verify that the memory was fully erased, I did a flash:cfe using the "/noemw /nocwd" options listed in the jtag wiki article. I did a backup after this to compare and and both the source and the backup match. However after all this effort I am still stuck with flashing power and all lan lights on full.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: