Remote administration not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
robbro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 18:26    Post subject: Remote administration not working Reply with quote
I have a wrt 54-GL set up as a wireless bridge/repeater.
I have tried to set it so I can access it remotely (wanting to use WOL to wake up other pc's on the network). I cannot get remote admin to work though, I have build 14896 of v 24.
I have checked "Web GUI Management", I have unchecked HTTP under "Web Access" which forces remote admin to use HTTPS (I read there was a bug somewhere that this should fix and indeed I made progress after doing this).
Anytime I go to my DynDNS web address as follows:
https://xxxx.xxxx.xxx I get "This web page is not available Error 111 (net::ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED): Unknown error." in Google Chrome. I have forwarded port 8080 to the ip of my WRT54GL in my router.

I can VNC into a machine on the lan and go to https://192.168.1.xxx and I get the certificate error, which I can accept then log right in.

Are there any other settings necessary to use remote admin over https? Must I enable ssh or some such?
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bridges don't have an active WAN so the remote admin options do nothing for them. You need your main router to port forward to the LAN IP and the port of the service (443 for https) on the bridge.

HTTPS use port 443 so if you're going to use a different external port then you need to add it to the URL in your browser.

https://x.x.x.x:8080

TMA-1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I too am trying to set up remote administration of a wireless bridge, and can't get it to work.

I have remote admin of my daughters gateway set up with a non-standard port. I specify that port in my browser, and it all works fine. I can admin the gateway.

I am trying to use a different port for her bridge. I have port forwarding on the gateway to pass the 2nd port number on to the bridge. When I enter address:port in my browser, I get nothing (timeout). The bridge is set to accept admin coming in from "any IP"--I don't intend to leave it that way, but until I get this to work I'm just taking that question off the table.

When I'm at my daughters I can talk to the bridge at its internal address of 192.168.1.xxx just fine.

A friend and I are speculating that somehow the port forward logic looks for the target IP address on the table of DHCP clients, and since the bridge doesn't appear in that table, the request somehow gets gonged. Forgive me if I'm shooting in the dark.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
cdzo72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me throw another towel in the ring.

I'm also trying to remotely access a wired access point.

I have an E3000 (secondary) running DD-WRT Kong build wired by ethernet to an EA6200 (primary).

The setup for the E3000 was done following this thread,

[/url]http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point[url]

I think I have my port forwarded correctly but unable to access the E3000 unless I'm connected to my home network.[/url]
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdzo72 wrote:
I have an E3000 (secondary) running DD-WRT Kong build wired by ethernet to an EA6200 (primary).
[...]
I think I have my port forwarded correctly but unable to access the E3000 unless I'm connected to my home network.[/url]
So you setup a port forward on the EA6200 right, from the internet to the E3000? Post your settings...

You could instead VPN into the EA6200, then access your network like the LAN.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
cdzo72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
cdzo72 wrote:
[...]
So you setup a port forward on the EA6200 right, from the internet to the E3000? Post your settings...

You could instead VPN into the EA6200, then access your network like the LAN.

Settings in Smart WIFI are pretty basic, the name of the application I just used Linksys E3000 DD-WRT, ports internal and external I used 8080 and 8080, for protocols I selected BOTH, and enabled set to TRUE.

Not sure if it matters, but to be clear, when I am connect to my home network and I go to 192.168.1.2 I am able to access the E3000.
TMA-1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks jwh7 for the idea to set up VPN.

Having remote admin on my daughter's gateway, I could do that from home. Once connected I can admin the bridge directly. A great work-around.

But I'd still like to understand why I can't get port forwarding to give me a handle on the bridge thru remote admin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: