TP-LINK TL-WR841N v9.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
goldeng20
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 18:29    Post subject: TP-LINK TL-WR841N v9.2 Reply with quote
I'm just adding one more confirmation to the 16 pages of thread (TL-WR841N v9.0) that DD-WRT does work on the TP-LINK TL-WR841N v9.2 from Amazon.com with the 20 Nov 2014 release (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-20-2014-r25408/tplink_tl-wr841ndv9/).

As with other internet postings, you sometimes wonder if you should believe it or not. I was skeptical as this is my first DD-WRT adventure, but I can't be happier.

I approached this with caution (read all 16 pages of the thread linked above, plus 5-6 other threads). Since a couple posts reported success and exhibited confidence, I decided to run build 25408 (link above).

As for my process, I upgraded to the latest TP-LINK firmware on day 1 and tested to make sure the router was working in case I needed to exchange it (confirmed it was working). Day 2 (when I had time), I downloaded Factory to DDWRT.bin and the ...webflash.bin at the link above.

I turned off the router (did not do a 30/30/30 reset) and turned it back on. I then installed the factory to DDWRT with no issues. Router was back up in a few minutes and everything appeared to be ok. Updated the firmware again with the webflash.bin file. I configured everything and it has been up and working now for 2 days with no issues (running as DHCP server only, learned a lot from many other threads in getting it to hand out the gateway address properly with DNSMASQ).

Day 3 I switched over to use this as my gateway (was going to use it only as a DHCP server for starters), since I've been having some troubles with my internet slowing down (old gateway was suspect).With the switch internet up/downlink was immediately back to normal. It appears my old gateway was throttling traffic for some reason every couple days. I can reboot the old gateway and it will go back to normal, but throttles again after a couple days of up time (not desirable). I'd update the old router to DDWRT, but it is one on the list that says DDWRT support is not possible.[/url]
Sponsor
YaddaMinski
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 19:25    Post subject: Re: TP-LINK TL-WR841N v9.2 Reply with quote
goldeng20 wrote:
I'm just adding one more confirmation to the 16 pages of thread (TL-WR841N v9.0) that DD-WRT does work on the TP-LINK TL-WR841N v9.2 from Amazon.com with the 20 Nov 2014 release (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-20-2014-r25408/tplink_tl-wr841ndv9/).

As with other internet postings, you sometimes wonder if you should believe it or not. I was skeptical as this is my first DD-WRT adventure, but I can't be happier.

I approached this with caution (read all 16 pages of the thread linked above, plus 5-6 other threads). Since a couple posts reported success and exhibited confidence, I decided to run build 25408 (link above).

As for my process, I upgraded to the latest TP-LINK firmware on day 1 and tested to make sure the router was working in case I needed to exchange it (confirmed it was working). Day 2 (when I had time), I downloaded Factory to DDWRT.bin and the ...webflash.bin at the link above.

I turned off the router (did not do a 30/30/30 reset) and turned it back on. I then installed the factory to DDWRT with no issues. Router was back up in a few minutes and everything appeared to be ok. Updated the firmware again with the webflash.bin file. I configured everything and it has been up and working now for 2 days with no issues (running as DHCP server only, learned a lot from many other threads in getting it to hand out the gateway address properly with DNSMASQ).

Day 3 I switched over to use this as my gateway (was going to use it only as a DHCP server for starters), since I've been having some troubles with my internet slowing down (old gateway was suspect).With the switch internet up/downlink was immediately back to normal. It appears my old gateway was throttling traffic for some reason every couple days. I can reboot the old gateway and it will go back to normal, but throttles again after a couple days of up time (not desirable). I'd update the old router to DDWRT, but it is one on the list that says DDWRT support is not possible.[/url]

webflash.bin is for upgrading dd-wrt.
goldeng20
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! I didn't quite understand the function of the two different files, but now I do.
XeoNoX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
i can confirm this method works, i just flashed my TL-WR841N v9.2 with ddwrt firmware

i just opened the box, plugged everything in, logged into the tplink wr841n v9.2 web gui and flashed "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" (the file listed below)
rebooted the router and cleared nvram..waited 30 secs and then unplugged the power for 10 secs and plugged back in ...works like a charm, great router for $20

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-20-2014-r25408/tplink_tl-wr841ndv9/factory-to-ddwrt.bin
Nayoum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 16:24    Post subject: Don't have repeater mode V9.2 Reply with quote
Hi guys!

First I wanted to thank you, because without this thread I would not have tryed to flash my router WR 841 v9.2. I used the file "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" you both put in here and I followed the tuto in dd-WRD website. It was more easy than I expected.

Then I wanted to put my router on repeater mode, but in the "wireless mode" I don't have it! I have WDS who if I understand well It's similar?
My question was do you have the repeater mode after flashing with "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" ?
Could I have miss something during the flashing part?

Thanks

PS: sorry for my english it's not my native language.
XeoNoX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
once you flash the firmware and then u reset the defaults then that is as stock as the firmware gets. So if u hit restore defaults then there is nothing that messed up after flashing as long as it loads. Repeater/WDS mode isnt too great on this device. IF anything i would use it more as a repeater or wireless AP than WDS, WDS is a pain and you have to match up chipsets for it to work good. Save yourself the headache and just run in repeater mode or wireless AP mode.
Nayoum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 0:19    Post subject: everything works great! Reply with quote
It's only my fault if I din't made it works the first time. I red a lot about changing the firmware but I mmissed a very important part! The tp-link wr841 v9.2 works with a atheros chip and not with broadcom.
The flash was well done at the end.

With Atheros, there is no "repeater" mode, but to make the same work you can use a "client bridge" with a "AP" connection.
It's pretty much the same configuration than the broadcom.
When you understand how it works it's very easy.

Well now I'm using internet by this router and that works very well.

One more thanks for you guys who make a good job with this forum.
idsblake
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone know if there is a mega build for the tl-wr841n v9.2?

Last edited by idsblake on Tue Apr 21, 2015 16:20; edited 1 time in total
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
idsblake wrote:
Anyone know if there is a mega build of the tl-wr841n v9.2?

I don't think there is one. AFAIK Atheros-based routers only come as Standard builds.

idsblake
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
idsblake wrote:
Anyone know if there is a mega build of the tl-wr841n v9.2?

I don't think there is one. AFAIK Atheros-based routers only come as Standard builds.

I also have a Linksys e1200v2, how would I go about looking or finding out of there would be a mega build for that?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
idsblake wrote:
I also have a Linksys e1200v2, how would I go about looking or finding out of there would be a mega build for that?

If you read the Wiki for your Broadcom-based E1200v2 http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E1200v2
you'll read this, quote:
"After the initial flash - should you want to flash to a build with more features you can use a k2.6 nv64k BIG or mega build"

So, for the initial flash (from factory firmware to DD-WRT) you should use the trailed, older build 21676 (with "mini" and "e1200v2" in its name): ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e1200v2.bin

To upgrade from an already existing DD-WRT build (e.g. from the trailed build above, or any other DD-WRT build) to a more complete DD-WRT build, you must look in the broadcom_K26 folder in any of the following recent folders:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

For example, the latest build 26653 will be located here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-09-2015-r26653/broadcom_K26/
From there you can choose among MINI, BIG, or MEGA variants (be careful to have nv64k in the file name, as the Wiki says):
dd-wrt.v24-26653_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-nv64k.bin
dd-wrt.v24-26653_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k.bin
dd-wrt.v24-26653_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin

But be VERY careful with the file sizes for the BIG and MEGA builds. They should fit the 8MB flash. So, for example the 26653 MEGA build is 7877 kB = 8066048 B. I don't know if that will fit the 8MB flash. The BIG build, however is a bit smaller. So, please first read the forum thread specified in the Wiki to make sure you don't brick the router.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: