Bricked WHR-HP-G300N after flash firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
hlong2606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06    Post subject: Bricked WHR-HP-G300N after flash firmware Reply with quote
Hi guys,
Yesterday I tried to update the router 's firmware but I chose wrong file. I updated the WHR-G300N firmwares instead of WHR-HP-G300N. Now I plug in the power cord and the router only has 2 solid LED (power and Diag) .
I 've also tried 30/30/30 hard reset but no luck.
I 've updated the firmware again using TFTP : the file 's transfer OK but the router still 2 LED solid and not reboot
pls help me to unbrick it. Crying or Very sad
Many thks
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you have a hardware switch available to you? 10/100 or gigabit, shouldn't matter. And a windows XP box?

I will have to head to work soon, so it may be this evening till i can help you dr-brick this, but in the mean while i would advise no monkey stunts till you get helped, your unit is in a state that can be recovered, but if you monkey around with it to much, it could be in an UN-recoverable state.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
hlong2606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Do you have a hardware switch available to you? 10/100 or gigabit, shouldn't matter. And a windows XP box?

I will have to head to work soon, so it may be this evening till i can help you dr-brick this, but in the mean while i would advise no monkey stunts till you get helped, your unit is in a state that can be recovered, but if you monkey around with it to much, it could be in an UN-recoverable state.

Yes, I do have a SW , waiting 4 ur reply .
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll need to follow this guide, but 2 things you'll need to change:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Debricking_Info_using_TFTP

The 2 things are:

1) of course use the proper file for your router and not the one in the guide, so download the buffalo_to_ddwrt.bin for the whr-hp-g300n

2) in step 2, instead of using that MAC, use this one:

02:aa:bb:cc:dd:1c

That ^ one is the generic mac for that unit and should work. All other steps stay same, and make sure to read the whole guide carefully and follow what it says to do.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Stone_Blue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to hijack your thread hlong, but I am having the same EXACT issue with my WZR-HP-G300NH2.

I followed your instructions and the wiki, buddee, but I get to the tftp command, and it fails, with an error that it cant read the file (the .enc) in the directory?

Also, I dont have a switch, but read that another router can be used? I tried this with and without a DIR-615 running DD-WRT latest build.

Any ideas?

Thanx!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stone_Blue wrote:
Not to hijack your thread hlong, but I am having the same EXACT issue with my WZR-HP-G300NH2.

I followed your instructions and the wiki, buddee, but I get to the tftp command, and it fails, with an error that it cant read the file (the .enc) in the directory?

Also, I dont have a switch, but read that another router can be used? I tried this with and without a DIR-615 running DD-WRT latest build.

Any ideas?

Thanx!

I would then try using the community dd-wrt build, if you are trying with the .enc buffalo dd-wrt build and it is failing, it may be better to try with the community dd-wrt build, or openwrt for the TFTP process.

Also, if you google 'de-bricking wzr-hp-g300nh2', you'll find its alot more difficult to de-brick than the other newer buffalo units. Be that as it may, this process may not work for this unit. I personally do not have a G300NH2, i do have a G300NH and AG300H, so i put more time and research into how to de-brick those units, just not the G300NH2.

hlong2606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

I would then try using the community dd-wrt build, if you are trying with the .enc buffalo dd-wrt build and it is failing, it may be better to try with the community dd-wrt build, or openwrt for the TFTP process.

Also, if you google 'de-bricking wzr-hp-g300nh2', you'll find its alot more difficult to de-brick than the other newer buffalo units. Be that as it may, this process may not work for this unit. I personally do not have a G300NH2, i do have a G300NH and AG300H, so i put more time and research into how to de-brick those units, just not the G300NH2.

Thx 4 ur support very very much !!!! It's so great. After I followed ur guide the router 's come back . But something 's wrong :
1) I cant transfer any FW "buffalo_to_ddwrt.bin" from dd-wrt web ,IT says : unsupport REGION. I see that my router 's JP model so I went to buffalo JP website and download the original FW and it worked.
2) Before It's bricked I could flash it from original FW to dd-wrt easily.Now I can't. I dont know why ??
3) The router now is not stable . Sometimes I download large files > 4GB ( by torrent or direct link) IT restarts itself ????
Any ideas ????

Stone_Blue wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanx!

When I flashed firmware I didn't use any SW. Juz type all the command TFTP and wait,then plug in the router and hit ENTER immediatelly . Hope this 'll help.
hlong2606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally I 've made it changed to English GUI by flashing this
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Buffalo/WHR-HP-G300N/-/buffalo-to-dd-wrt_webflash-MULTI.bin/3774
But now the router 's still not stable , limit connection when download Large files.
Anyone has the same problem ???
Stone_Blue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong.
I then tried various firmwares, and all but one said unsupported model. One of the WZR-HP-G300NH (the label on the router says its a 300NH2), firmwares said it successfully flashed, but the DIAG light is still lit and I still cant access the webgui.

Once after flashing I was able to successfully ping it, but no longer. Also, the DIAG light was repeatedly flashing twice quickly. Now its on steady.

I guess the next step is to pop it open and see if I can identify the internals to see what model it is for sure. I bought this already bricked off ebay, thinking I might be able to unbrick it, so no telling if someone switched the internals. It was also advertised as a WHR-HP-G300N..??

I guess after that I'll have to try a community build or OpenWRT as suggested.
Fab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a timneout everytime I try to inject the fw to the device... Sad
trucgia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WHR-HP-G300N with manufacture's DD-WRT firmware also. I runs normally until I set a VAP, while assigning bridge, click apply savings then the web GUI frozen. After waiting half an hour, i reboot the router by plugging out and in power source. Now, it does not work any more, only power light solid on. when powering up, diag led solid red then off. Then nothing, i can't ping the router. Already follow this thread to de-brick but it doesn't work. (I try 30-30-30 hard reset but no effect). Any advise please.
trucgia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eventually, after one day googling, I save my router back to life, http://g300nh.blogspot.sg/2010/06/firmware-flash-and-brick-recovery.html?showComment=1430589693547#c2934899124279146919
Using windows 7 and a minor customization, I use MAC address of the router it self (Printed on the bottom label)and Pumpkin TFTP http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin/. Every thing works well. Many thanks for dd-wrt lovers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: