DNS appliance w/o DHCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
bobdrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 20:08    Post subject: DNS appliance w/o DHCP Reply with quote
I have a router running DD-WRT that I'd like to deploy on my LAN as a DNS appliance (only). No routing, no DHCP.

Is it possible to configure DD-WRT to supply DNS service without DHCP service (preferably via the web interface)?

My router is WZR-HP-G300NH and I am running build 14998.

I'm trying this, and although my Service Page has Enabled selected for both DNSMasq and Local DNS, I am getting status REFUSED on my responses. My Setup page has Disabled for DHCP, but has "Use DNSMasq for DNS" checked.

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am quite interested in this as well. I'm the tech coordinator for a school. Our web filtering is done with OpenDNS, but that doesn't force visual search engines to use safe search. Directing traffic for www.google.com to 216.239.32.20 should do it, but our main router (TL-ER5120) won't do it on stock firmware, and at this point I haven't been able to find third-party firmware for it. I've set up a local DNS server and added a CNAME as Google and OpenDNS suggest, but at this point it isn't working properly, and shouldn't really be necessary anyway.

My 4 APs are Archer C7v2 on r26348 (2/24/2015). It's already a recent version, and I'm a bit hesitant to move to newer versions, as this has been quite stable for me and I haven't seen anything that would indicate improvements in their current use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: