Buffalo WXR-1900DHP

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
it2911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ludacrisvp

Hi, thank you for your exp. about flash 1900dhp.

I bought 1900dhp too. I can come into cfe screen by ttl.
But I failed to flash the trx file. When I input the command "flash -noheader 192.168.11.2:openwrt.trx nflash1.trx", it return "is not responding".

I had set the static IP address for PC, and set the arp for 1900dhp. I put the openwrt.trx at "d:".

Could you tell me how can I solve my problem?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsor
ludacrisvp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to be running a tftp server on your machine.

You appear to be using windows so get something like this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftp-server/

WNDR-3400 - retired to its box for several years
it2911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your help!

I had flash the dd-wrt rom and it is working.

But I found the usb device is could not to be used.

Are you met the same problem as me? Very Happy
it2911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I had solved the problem about usb trouble.
Thank you for your help again.
stealthdave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a way to install DD-WRT from stock without a serial port adapter? I would presume that this process would still involve installing OpenWRT first until the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin issues get resolved.

Barring that, Amazon appears to have a bevy of cables in the $6-7 range with Prime shipping, so I'll have one of those on hand soon. I'd just rather not open up the case and void the warrantee quite this soon if I can avoid it. Smile

- Dave
ludacrisvp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to know the USB issue was taken care of. I never bothered to try either USB port.

I tried going from both the original shipping firmware version and the latest release version of Buffalo firmware to DD-WRT and OpenWRT.
Every image I tried to use failed Buffalo's firmware checking process and failed to update with "invalid image".

I have to think that Buffalo changed the firmware flashing setup with this router... changed encryption type / checksum validation / header .. something.

So until a developer figures it out I think this is going to be the only manner (CFE flash) in which you can install OpenWRT / DD-WRT on this router.

stealthdave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ludacrisvp

I got my USB->Serial cable today, so next week I'm going to attempt the upgrade to DD-WRT, and I was wondering if you'd clarify a few points in your process for me?

• You mention that you had to use an older version of DD-WRT in your initial flash with OpenWRT. What version did you use?
  • You flashed DD-WRT to both nflash1.trx and nflash1.trx_recover and then flash to OpenWRT on nflash1.trx, essentially flashing over the initial DD-WRT. Is that a necessary part of the procedure, or can you flash OpenWRT + DD-WRT the first time?
  • How do you get to the CFE interface? This is a little fuzzy to me.

To your earlier observation about why it's so much more difficult to flash than previous routers (I'm replacing my old Buffalo N600 with this model), I'd bet that it's entirely intentional since they sell the identical hardware with DD-WRT pre-installed at a $60-70 premium. If it was as simple as uploading new firmware, there would be no incentive for people pay the extra money.

Thanks again for leading the charge on this!

- Dave
ludacrisvp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

• You mention that you had to use an older version of DD-WRT in your initial flash with OpenWRT. What version did you use?
    I used one from mid summer IIRC, but that doesn't really matter. The whole point of using an older version is so that you can upgrade from DDWRT to DDWRT and get a properly flashed device.
  • You flashed DD-WRT to both nflash1.trx and nflash1.trx_recover and then flash to OpenWRT on nflash1.trx, essentially flashing over the initial DD-WRT. Is that a necessary part of the procedure, or can you flash OpenWRT + DD-WRT the first time?
    You're right, that is how I did it. My money is on that _not_ being required, I just posted the steps I had taken to get this going.
  • How do you get to the CFE interface? This is a little fuzzy to me.
    Not knowing your client OS but you need a terminal emulator software that lets you communicate through the COM port.
    Windows users probably want to use 'PuTTY' which is a free download on the internet, Mac users can get by using 'screen' which is built into the OS to be accessed via Terminal.
    While the router is booting you will need to hold ^C which sends a break command to the boot process to stop you at the "CFE>" prompt. I found it much easier to allow the router to boot on its own then once you activate the shell session type reboot, then start holding ^C from then on and you will easily interrupt the CFE boot process.
    (note that ^C is press the CTRL+C key combo)

To your earlier observation about why it's so much more difficult to flash than previous routers (I'm replacing my old Buffalo N600 with this model), I'd bet that it's entirely intentional since they sell the identical hardware with DD-WRT pre-installed at a $60-70 premium. If it was as simple as uploading new firmware, there would be no incentive for people pay the extra money.

I'm sure it is intentional at least to a point... it is possible that these changes are simply side effects of the changes needed to support the dual firmware. Just keep in mind that with that premium price tag the buffalo modified version of DD-WRT still lacks many features that the community build has

putzomatic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm this method works too. I own the WXR-1900DHP and I was able to use a TTL cable to connect to the router CFE and flash the factory-to-ddwrt firmware for both the main and recovery firmware, then boot the device with DD-WRT. I used the web interface after to update to DD-WRT v3.0-r27805. Its been running smoothly ever since.

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction. I was getting frustrated when trying to use the webflash to try and get dd-wrt on this thing because it would not recognize the firmware as valid.

The router is kind of a b*tch to get open. you gotta use a small straight edge on the bottom of the router where the operating mode switch is (after you remove the stand and screws) and push it in the slot to pop up the cover and then works a scribe around the cover to pop the plastic tabs out. I only broke two tabs so it went back together just fine.

Hopefully there is an easier method for this router in the future. Would be nice to not have to always take it apart just to flash different firmware on it.
59vw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I ordered a wxr-1900dhp and followed ludacrisvp's instructions. Everything went relatively smoothly and I now have the latest ddwrt on the router! It took the most time to figure out a tFTP server and get the serial connection working. At one point in this thread open tFTP was recommended for a windows machine but I had better luck with tftpd32 or in my case tftpd64. Free downloads can be found here http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Only other thing I'd mention is that after flashing with openwrt your network will be back to 192.168.1.1 rather than 192.168.11.1 that the router comes configured with. You may also have to reboot your modem to get everything to work so you can update openwrt and install the gui.

Now running ddwrt v3.0-r27805 9/11/2015. Everything I've tried (basic WPA2personal AES encrypted wifi, ddns, dnsmasq, sshd, crond, QOS, custom startup commands) seems to be working well. I have limited range on the 5Ghz channel (50 feet or so) but that seems to be a common complaint with 5Ghz. I'm looking forward to adding some capability (NAS) etc. to this router now with all the extra RAM space.

Also you can get this router with free shipping at Amazon now for 109! (discovered this after paying 18.00 more at newegg).

Thanks again ludacrisvp for working this out and taking the time to post the whole thing!
ludacrisvp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
For 5GHz I chose channel 149 and VHT80 and USA reg domain and that seemed to help.
stealthdave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 20:41    Post subject: Acessing the CFE console Reply with quote
I'm having trouble accessing the CFE console via the TTY interface. Using a Maç, I hooked up the interface and ran "$ screen /dev/tty.usbserial" from the command line to access the terminal interface, but I get no output, whether or not I continuously hit CTRL-C.

I am still running firmware 2.34 that came pre-installed. I saw that @ludacrisvp had down-graded to 2.30. Is this a necessary step to getting the terminal connection working? Do I need to have a device connected to a LAN port? What about the WAN?

Thanks,
- Dave
59vw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
First place to start is to make sure your wires are hooked up correctly. tx USB goes to rx serial terminal and rx USB goes to tx serial. Best way to do this is identify ground, hook that up, leave vcc (and your USB 3.3 v wire unhooked and try the rx and tx wires in each position. With the serial interface hooked up you should be able to watch the router boot on your terminal. Until you can see the router booting you don't need to bother with ^C.
ludacrisvp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
The serial output will work regardless of devices being connected to LAN or WAN ports.

Try adding the baud speed to your screen command.

$ screen /dev/tty.usbserial 115200

The serial output shouldn't be dependent on buffalo firmware as this boatloader that we are accessing sits below the buffalo firmware. So it should work regardless of 2.30 / 2.34 firmwares.

Chances are that you've connected to the wrong pins for rx / tx or not including the baud rate was killing you as it may default to a speed that is too slow. Also for the Mac world ... What device and kext are you using for this serial cable? In my experience with this there are some kexts that will work well enough to see the serial adapter but not enough to be usable.

stealthdave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, I had the leads connected backwards. Shocked I'm about half-way through the upgrade process now, with OpenWRT working at command-line. If all goes smoothly, I'll have a fully-functioning DD-WRT by this time tomorrow!

Thanks!
- Dave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 12
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: