R7000 Thermal Upgrade..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
morinzo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 14:21    Post subject: R7000 Thermal Upgrade.. Reply with quote
Might be some useful info for you overclockers, I replaced all of the stock thermal pads with Fujipoly Sarcon XR-m that have a thermal conductivity of 17.0 W/mk and here are the results.

The test were done on stock cpu speed and stock ddwrt settings.

Stock Thermal Pads:

Fujipoly Sarcon XR-m Thermal Pads:

Almost 17C or 62.6F is a big difference to the cpu temp.

If anyone is interested in the size pads needed just let me know. They are expensive but I got everything needed from the free sample request on the Fujipoly site.
Sponsor
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Definitely interested in this! That's a decent temp drop, for sure. Did you take pictures or anything detailing what you did exactly, and the process for assembly/disassemble?

Netgear R6700 (Un-opened with stock. My backup/emergency router if the R7000 takes a dump...)

2x Buffalo WHR-HP-GN 28493 (Used for 2.4 Ghz bridge when needed.)

Asus WL-500g Premium (1x v1 & 1x v2) (Still have, but retired for now.)

1x Linksys WRT54G v8 >>DD-WRT v24SP1 (The other routers needed something to point at and make fun of.)
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
morinzo,
thank you for sharing your results.
It is nice to see what the motivated member can achieve.

I had posted back sometime in 2014 my results of active cooling & lifting the router of the surface.
With a small fan tilted under the bottom corner of the router I was able to achieve upper 50's.
The fan was on low, I didn't want to hear it.
I have had it stable at OC 1400 but eventually after the fun and novelty wore off I went back to stock clock rate & needed the computer case fan for another purpose. I still have the router about 1" off the surface and that seems to give a minor thermal drop on its own.

The router has a high thermal ceiling, especially at stock clock rates.

Any info you want to share such as pics or step by step instructions will be appreciated.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
morinzo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
No pics, but remove the antennas & then remove the 5 case screws (1 in center and 4 under the rubber feet)

On top and bottom of the pcb you have these square silver things that you need to lift the lid off of to get to the thermal pads. Just gently pry with a small flat screwdriver and try to to bend the flimsy material.

On the top one you have 2 chips with thermal pads & the bottom one had 3 thermal pads & one big one that goes on the lid of the bottom one to transfer heat to the case heatsink.

I cleaned all chips & contact points with acetone before putting new pads on.

I can recommend what size samples to order to complete the job if you need it. And I can find pics online and label it with pad sizes.

Last edited by morinzo on Wed Feb 11, 2015 17:04; edited 1 time in total
morinzo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found some pics online and just labeled them with pad thickness & size.

The thickest Fujipoly Sarcon XR-m comes in is 2.0mm, I had a discussion with the manufacturer you can stack to get the 3.0mm & 4.0mm and it doesn't hurt any of the thermal properties.

If you have anymore questions just post and I'll answer asap.

Bottom

wgentine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
is this fujipoly the best available heat transfer ratio in the market?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
wgentine wrote:
is this fujipoly the best available heat transfer ratio in the market?

For a thermal pad yes, they make several different kind so make sure you get Fujipoly Sarcon XR-m. The others have lower W/mk

I would suggest going to their site & register and request samples in 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm thickness & 40mm x 40mm for the size of all & if you take your time and cut it right with a razor you will not have to order more at a cost.

A 60mm x 50mm piece cost $20-$25 depending on thickness, so get what you can from samples the the best place I can find to order if you need more is FrozenCPU.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
in addition to passive cooling mods...

if you want to attempt integrating the fan I've had good luck with PC fans & soldering in a PC fan connection to allow for easy replacements in the future

Just borrow 5 volts from the ac adapter plug (before the "power conditioning" capacitors, if present)

Depending on your device/transformer... you might have to spec your fan to suit your needs. 12v/5v/etc. I always tried to keep the fan amperage down as low as possible.

Also consider the form factor of your fans. the image below is an 80mm monster. With a thin 30mm or 60mm fan and good placement you might be able to flush mount it inside the case. (I typically would blow out the hot air upward, let heat rise, etc. once the case is closed you can generally get a good natural suction across the "right" components. Of course each case is different and placement is key.)

With a dremel, and some patience, you can really make a unit look nice even after playing the part of Dr. Frankenstein.

(Edit: Fixed link to new image location)

Also consider this, I played around on this years ago on older devices. Perhaps newer devices are more sensitive to "dirty power" < -- don't break your stuff if you don't know what you are doing...

YMMV, don't listen to me, I'm just a crazy guy from the internet!

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE

Last edited by jheide44 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 16:02; edited 1 time in total
cyberdev
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
70°C ???
Very Hot ...

My R7000 without any Mods:

CPU-Modell ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
CPU Cores 2
Taktfrequenz 1000 MHz
Auslastung 0.03, 0.14, 0.14
CPU TemperaturCPU 52.5 °C / WL0 44.54 °C / WL1 49.04 °C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
70F is hot but that was my stock temp & stock ddwrt with only wireless setup. I think my prob was the stock thermal pad that goes on the heatsink was only touching half of the heatsink but all routers are different even if it's the same model.

I was thinking about a fan but I have no plans of overclocking and If I mounted it external I prob solder a usb plub on the end. I night tri a thin internal but on the r7000 the heatsink is on the bottom so I don't know how much a fan on top would help.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
the thermal headroom on the R7000 is pretty high.
It has been discussed in the past.
I believe it is in the 90's.
Even without any extra cooling most folks report OC success and barely any increase in temps.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good questions... not sure if I'll ever get them, but I just requested the datasheets from Broadcom on the chipset components in the Netgear ARM units Smile

Of course engineering recommendation/design vs. practical application could be debated for an eternity.

FWIW on the R6300v2 I have up on Putty/SSH right now
CPU 72.5 °C
WL0 46.93 °C
WL1 52.90 °C

Edit:
morinzo wrote:
... on the r7000 the heatsink is on the bottom so I don't know how much a fan on top would help.

Check this out R7000 fans...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=898266
(get the pun?)

I'm just a soldering iron fan boy
(did it again, lol)

Assumptions:
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whats the max temp that we should watch for? Im using 1400 / 800 but i havent done a burn test yet.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
jheide44 wrote:
Good questions... not sure if I'll ever get them, but I just requested the datasheets from Broadcom on the chipset components in the Netgear ARM units Smile

then
lilmister wrote:
Whats the max temp that we should watch for? Im using 1400 / 800 but i havent done a burn test yet.

lol, not sure yet. I'll let you know if/when I get the datasheets.

I've always heard the rule of thumb for un-modded passive cooling was if you OC by no more than 10% you don't shorten the life of your components (by a noticeable amount). Yet you still typically see quite the performance boost.

Keep in mind the OEM's may have already OC'ed some devices, so read up on your chipsets before making any decisions.

Assumptions:
HERE
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im going to burn this router and see how hot it gets at 1400, if it gets too hot i will stop.

Also what about txpower? I hear you guys are updating it to higher numbers because of the power amps? What should I set mines at for performance for 2.4 / 5ghz ?

This router is really nice, im loving it. Not sure about this beamforming technology, its still the same o range to me.

jheide44 wrote:
jheide44 wrote:

then
lilmister wrote:

lol, not sure yet. I'll let you know if/when I get the datasheets.

I've always heard the rule of thumb for un-modded passive cooling was if you OC by no more than 10% you don't shorten the life of your components (by a noticeable amount). Yet you still typically see quite the performance boost.

Keep in mind the OEM's may have already OC'ed some devices, so read up on your chipsets before making any decisions.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: