HOW TO: Set up WDS AP & WDS Station on Atheros units

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Majstor Dane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 22:05    Post subject: HOW TO: Set up WDS AP & WDS Station on Atheros units Reply with quote
HOW TO Set up WDS AP & WDS Station on Atheros units

NOTICE: First of all - English is not my native language, so I am using "Google translate" in this tutorial. Its not 100% accurate so I hope that it wont be a lot of mistakes or misspelled words in tutorial. Also, some of descriptions in the attached images are written in Serbian, but I hope that it's clearly visible to follow.

Introduction

WDS connections between routers allows seamless roaming among two or more access points. Roaming can be achieved even if routers are connected by UTP cables, and have the SAME SSID,encryption method and password, but it is possible only if there is a cable infrastructure to the location where we located another AP. In case that you want to keep the roaming option- and do not have a cable infrastructure, we can set up connection wirelessly - and use WDS type of connection between routers, where the first router will be configured as " WDS AP "and another as" WDS Station ".

Clients will have roaming among WDS AP and WDS station, but WDS station must be located in the beam of WDS AP, and during that operation WDS station will sacrifice half of it's bandwidth, just like an all repeaters do.
Lots of clients (laptops, tablets, smartphones) can not be forced to make a hop to the other router which has a stronger signal until it still catches the previous one, even if the previous has a very weak signal. Because of that, when roaming is concerned, we use a trick to put SAME SSID, encryption method and password (in this case and the same channel of broadcasting) as has the first access point. This ensures that during the transition ("jump") to another AP is short as possible without noticeable interruption in the connection.

Note: This type of connection between routers is only possible between devices that have the same chipset company. So do not interfere Broadcom chip devices with a device that has the Atheros, Ralink or another because they are not compatible with each other.

Configuration

For the purposes of this tutorial I will use my WR941ND as WDS AP and WR740N will be configured as a WDS station. Both routers use the Atheros chipset.

WR941ND (Atheros AR9132 chip rev 2) is version 3.6, flashed with the r23320 build.
WR740N (Atheros AR9330 chip rev 1.1) is the 4.27 version, flashed with the r25697 build.
We will configure routers wirelessly, so no need to hookup LAN cable between them and the computer.
In my case, for the purposes of the tutorial, the first router will be configured as a WDS access point attached via a WAN connection to main router in my home MikroTik RouterBOARD RB951G-2Hnd.

1 . Perform 30-30-30 reset to the first router. In the "Network Connections" check whether the IP and DNS address for the wireless adapter receives automatically. Connect to the router's "dd-wrt" SSID in your browser , and open address 192.168.1.1 and enter a new username and password.

2 . Click on the Setup on the Basic Setup tab

WAN Connection Type: Set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Click on the SAVE

Optional Settings
Router Name: choose a name of your choice, in my case, WR941ND_WDS_AP
STP: set to Enable
Click on SAVE

Network Setup
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (in my case, the default, but if you wish you can change the default IP address of the router and set it to your desired IP that does not match the subnet of the previous default gateway, because the WDS AP will have DHCP server enabled)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Click SAVE

DHCP Server: Enable
Static DNS1: enter the address OpenDNS servers 208.67.222.222
Static DNS2: 208.67.220.220
Click SAVE

Make sure this is checked:
Use DNSMasq for DHCP
Use dnsmasq for DNS
DHCP-Authoritative

Time Settings (If you have an older firmware)
NTP Client enable
Time Zone: UTC +01: 00 (according to your location, in my case Belgrade)
Summer Time (DST) none
Server IP / Name: 1.europe.pool.ntp.org (according to your location,in my case Europe time)
Click SAVE

Time Settings (if you have a newer firmware)
NTP Client enable
Time Zone: Europe / Belgrade
Server IP / Name: (blank)
Click SAVE

3 . Click Wireless on the Basic Settings tab

Physical Interface ath0
Wireless Mode: WDS AP
Click SAVE

Wireless Network Mode: NG-Mixed (Select the desired mode of your access point)
Click SAVE
Channel Width: Turbo (40MHz) (Choose to use a 40MHz channel width)
In recent firmware now it shows as Wide HT40 (20 + 20MHz)
Click SAVE
Wireless Channel: 3 (Select the desired channel for broadcast of your access point, in my case, ch 3)
Click SAVE
Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_WDS_AP (insert the name of your choice)
Click SAVE

Check thick box Advanced Settings just below and
Short Preamble: set to Enable
Click SAVE

4 . Go to Wireless on the Wireless Security tab

Wireless Security ath0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA2 Algorithms: AES
WPA Shared Key: ********** (Enter the password for your wireless network)
Key Renewal Interval (in seconds): 15
Click SAVE

5 . Click Security on the Firewall tab

Leave blank (uncheck) all thick boxes except with Filter Multicast
Click SAVE
SPI Firewall to Disable
Click SAVE

6 . Make sure that in Services
DNSMasq: set to Enable

WAN Traffic Counter
ttraff Daemon On Disable
Click SAVE

7 . Click Administration in Management tab, check whether the
Routing: set to Enable

as well as
Cron: also the Enable

Cron Daemon is an important for next step, therefore, it was necessary to check whether it is enabled. WDS links are sometimes prone to "freezing" ie.could be unaccessible for no particular reason. To give the lowest possible chance fot that it's desirable to restart the link from time to time. In ddwrt firmware in Administration - Keep Alive tab,is implemented option for automatic reset of the router, and trigger for reset can be given in a time interval, given time and day, or ping desired IP address after a certain time interval and if those are not available - the router will automatically reset and re-establishes the connection. We will choose to configure the router to reset every day at the same time, when it is expected to have the lowest number of clients on the network. We will ping IP address of Google's server 8.8.8.8 (you can add and the IP address of the Default Gateway of your home network, etc.). It can be added to a total of three IP addresses to ping, all entered IP address must have be separated with blank field (SPACE).

8 . Click Administration on the Keep Alive tab

Schedule Reboot: Set to Enable
Click SAVE
At a set time in the drop down menu, select a suitable time, for example, 05:55 in the morning, every day
Click SAVE

WDS / Connection Watchdog
Enable Watchdog: set to Enable
Click SAVE
Interval (in seconds): enter the interval in seconds after which the router perform ping of the given IP address (in my case 6 minutes)
Click SAVE
IP Addresses: Enter the desired IP address (or addresses) for ping
Click SAVE

Return to the Administration on Management tab and click on APPLY SETTINGS to preserve the router settings.

And after a few seconds click on the REBOOT ROUTER to perform reboot of router.

After rebooting the router,we will notice that in the list of available wireless networks appeared our WDS_AP SSID.

Now we can hookup internet on router's WAN port (from other router, ADSL or cable modem, etc.), Connect to the WDS AP SSID and check if internet is accessible. Up to this point, configuration of the first router is done.

We will now set WR740N as WDS station.

9 . Perform 30-30-30 reset, of the second router. Connect to the router's "dd-wrt" SSID

and in the browser open IP address 192.168.1.1 and enter a new username and password.

10 . Click on the Setup on the Basic Setup tab

WAN Connection Type: Set to Disabled
Click on the SAVE

Optional Settings
Router Name: choose a name of your choice, in my case, WR740N_WDS_station
STP: set to Enable
Click SAVE

Network Setup
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (set the IP address of the other router in the same subnet moved to a number upward)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (enter the IP address of the first WDS-AP router)
Local DNS: 192.168.1.1 (here enter the IP address of the first router,also)
Click SAVE

Wan Port
Assign WAN Port to Switch: check or uncheck, according to your needs
Click SAVE

DHCP Server: Disable
Click SAVE

Make sure that the thick boxes are empty in:
Use DNSMasq for DHCP
Use dnsmasq for DNS
DHCP-Authoritative
Click SAVE

Time Settings (If you have an older firmware)
NTP Client enable
Time Zone: UTC +01: 00 (according to your location, in my case Belgrade)
Summer Time (DST) none
Server IP / Name: 1.europe.pool.ntp.org (according to your location,in my case Europe time)

Click SAVE

Time Settings (if you have a new firmware)
NTP Client enable
Time Zone: Europe / Belgrade
Server IP / Name: (blank)
Click SAVE

11 . Go to Setup and click on Advanced Routing
Operating Mode: Set to Router
Dynamic Routing Interface to Both
Click on the SAVE

12 . Click Wireless on the Basic Settings tab

Physical Interface ath0
Wireless Mode: WDS Station
Click SAVE

Wireless Network Mode: NG-Mixed (Select the desired mode of your access points)
Click SAVE
Channel Width: Full (20MHz) (you can choose Wide HT40 option but router will still broadcast with 20MHz channel bandwidth)
Click SAVE
Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_WDS_AP (enter the SSID of the network to which it connects, ie, the first router's SSID)
Click SAVE

Check thick box Advanced Settings just below and
Short Preamble: set to Enable
Click SAVE

Then in section Virtual Interfaces just below, click on the Add
And under the Virtual Interfaces ath0.1
Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_WDS_AP (for virtual SSID enter the SAME SSID name as used in the first router)
Click SAVE

13 . Go to Wireless on the Wireless Security tab and then first enter a password to connect to WDS AP router, and the SAME password that will be used to connect wireless clients on the second router.

Physical Interface ath0
WPA Algorithms: AES
WPA Shared Key: ********** Enter the password to connect to the SSID of the first router, WDS AP
Click on the SAVE

Virtual Interface ath0.1
WPA Algorithms: AES
WPA Shared Key: enter here SAME password as above,
Key Renewal Interval (in seconds): 15
Click on the SAVE

14 . Click Security on the Firewall tab

Leave blank (uncheck) all boxes except with Filter Multicast
Click SAVE
SPI Firewall to Disable
Click SAVE

15 . Go into Services
DNSMasq: Set to Disable
Click SAVE

WAN Traffic Counter
ttraff Daemon On Disable
Click SAVE

16 . Click Administration u Management
Routing: Set to Disable

Make sure Cron standing on enable and then click on Keep Alive tab to adjust the settings similar to the first router, except that instead of Google's IP address enter the IP address of first router, so if it becomes unavailable for some reason - other router automatically restarts and restores the connection.

Schedule Reboot: Set to Enable
Click SAVE
At a set Time: choose the same time as the WDS AP (or according to your needs)
Click SAVE

WDS / Connection Watchdog
Enable Watchdog: set to Enable
Click SAVE
Interval (in seconds): select the same interval as the WDS AP (or accoeding to your needs)
Click SAVE
IP Addresses: Enter the IP address of the WDS AP (in my case 192.168.1.1 )
Click SAVE

Return to the Administration on Management tab and click on APPLY SETTINGS to preserve the router settings.

And after a few seconds click on the REBOOT ROUTER to perform reboot of router.

After the restart, WR740N will connect to the WDS AP and begin broadcasting. Of course, its SSID will be disguised with the same SSID broadcast of the first router so it will not be "visible" to the client. At least not thru an ordinary scanning. For this purpose we will use the program inSSIDer. After starting of innSSIDer we can see that the WDS station started operating on the same channel,with the same SSID and the same method of encryption and password.

Testing:

After configuring move on to testing. For short we will turn off WDS station (switch it OFF) and measure the speed of connection through the website www.speedtest.net while the client is attached to the WDS AP.
The result should show the full speed from my provider, in my case 24Mbit / 2Mbit, as shown.

Then we move away from the WDS AP and go to the location where we will set up another router,WDS station. And when the WDS station is still OFF - we can perform another speed test while we are still connected to the WDS AP. In my case, the result showed less than half the speed declared, in proportion to the distance from the first access point and my client, somewhere around 10Mbit's.

Then, once again, launch program inSSIDer and follow the signal level of WDS AP ,

Than turn on WDS station and wait for a several seconds to connect to WDS AP and start broadcast it's own signal. As you can see in client's wireless connection tray- it still can "see" only one and the same SSID, but now with a stronger signal.

Now we can measure the connection speed via the website www.speedtest.net and from this point result depends on the distance from the WDS station to client, as well as the distance between the WDS station and WDS AP. I am pleased with the result obtained with respect to a WR740N model router.

Perform measurement once again, but this time with WiFi turned off on the client, while client is connected to the WDS station via the LAN port. The result is much better, ie. measurement shows the same speed rate (full bandwidth) as in the very first case when the client was connected to the WDS AP.

In this case, the distance between the WDS station and the client does not play a discernable role (because the client is connected via the LAN port and the router does not operate with half of it's bandwidth), and achieves a maximum speed delivered by the provider.
Since both routers are on the same subnet, it is possible to access the settings both routers regardless of whether we are attached to the first one or second one. Typing IP address of WDS AP (in this case 192.168.1.1 ) in the Status tab, Wireless section, we can check the signal strength with WDS station and adjust if necessary its location for better reception. In the same tab we can see a list of connected clients.

If you connect to the IP of WDS station (in this case the IP 192.168.1.2 ) in the same tab we can see the signal strength of the WDS AP and a list of clients connected to the WDS station.

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
its not good practice to use different builds between the ap & station for driver reasons.

triple 30 isnt needed, only some broadcoms need it today, some.

the ap doesnt need to have a static dns or opendns, opendns isnt good for every provider, user choice here.

the firewall shouldnt be disabled on ap..the ap is the host or usually is, to the wan, unless the wds ap is in client mode or whatever to another router that faces the internet & is doing nat, leave firewall on on the ap, only disable it on the station.

ttraf doesnt need to be disabled on the ap (or station), user choice.

auto reboot not needed for the ap or station, thats an annoyance if anything..

keep alive not needed on ap or station, it doesnt do anything except make the router reboot for no reason when a response isnt seen quick enough, overall its faster for a connection regain to let it drop if its going to drop, for a second or 2 then let it automatically reconnect (crap ath9k drivers...)

after applying the settings, a reboot is meaningless, just apply them & use it

the station doesnt need stp enabled for 99% of users, user choice, if he/she needs it, theyll know

timezone settings for the wds station is meaningless, it doesnt work & is always wrong

advanced routing - router, dynamic for the wds station isnt needed, once wds station is established the previous gateway setting is nullified

channel width for wds station, yes its that wonderful bug client/client bridge/wds station+vap has no ht40, itll probably never be fixed, but incase a magic genie appears just leave the station on ht40 to match the ap

key renewal interval is fine at 3600

dnsmasq on/off for the station does not matter

routing for the station does not matter

please dont use inssider its devs have turned greedy & they want money for current versions, that have been buggy for the last multiple years, it gives wrong channel detections especially with ht40. use https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/ its like inssider done right, without greedy devs

inssider is the main reason why brainslayer is unable to fix a current display bug for atheros routers in the wireless status page, channel for ht40 is wrong cause hes using inssider & believes it, being fed wrong info & makes him think his code is not backwards

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Fobio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using the latest firmware r30016. When I:

Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_WDS_AP (for virtual SSID enter the SAME SSID name as used in the first router)
Click SAVE

...The WDS Station would lose connection to the WDS AP and I'd have to remove the VAP for the bridge to reestablish itself.

I basically followed this:

Virtual Interfaces (ath0.1, ath1.1, etc.)
Click Add
Wireless Network Mode: AP
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Same as the host router if you want a repeater, or different from the host router if you want your own separate network or for other advanced configurations
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
Click Save
Wireless Security: Match the host router, exactly including capitals & security algorithm. EX: host using WPA2 Personal AES will still work if the repeater is set to WPA2 Personal Mixed AES, for whatever reason, as it includes the algorithm in use (WPA2-AES)
Click Save
Network Configuration: Bridged if you want a repeater to extend the current network of the host router, unbridged if you want your own separate network & are an advanced user
Click Apply Settings
linuxnutzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fobio wrote:
Using the latest firmware r30016. When I:

Click SAVE

...The WDS Station would lose connection to the WDS AP and I'd have to remove the VAP for the bridge to reestablish itself.

I basically followed this:

Virtual Interfaces (ath0.1, ath1.1, etc.)
Click Add
Wireless Network Mode: AP
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Same as the host router if you want a repeater, or different from the host router if you want your own separate network or for other advanced configurations
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
Click Save
Wireless Security: Match the host router, exactly including capitals & security algorithm. EX: host using WPA2 Personal AES will still work if the repeater is set to WPA2 Personal Mixed AES, for whatever reason, as it includes the algorithm in use (WPA2-AES)
Click Save
Network Configuration: Bridged if you want a repeater to extend the current network of the host router, unbridged if you want your own separate network & are an advanced user
Click Apply Settings

I know, this discussion is quite old, but I have a similar problem with a recent BS build and two Netgear R7800. The WDS disconnects when I add a VAP and reconnect if I delete the VAP. Was there any solution to solve this issue?

Linuxnutzer
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
linuxnutzer wrote:
I have a similar problem with a recent BS build

What build is "recent"?

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

linuxnutzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
linuxnutzer wrote:
I have a similar problem with a recent BS build

What build is "recent"?

v40559

It is not the latest build, but I looked in the SVN history and didn't find any WDS related commits, so I guess update will not help. I solved my issue by avoiding VAPs. see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321540.
I was only wondering that such basic function didn't work and assumed a configuration issue.

Linuxnutzer
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 19:39    Post subject: Wiki Reply with quote
Next time read the wiki page: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
linuxnutzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 20:07    Post subject: Re: Wiki Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Next time read the wiki page: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

Did you seriously read my post? Maybe my status "DD-WRT Novice" misled you to your harsh response. I am using dd-wrt for more than 12 years, I am here in the forum since 2008 and I know almost all wikis. Sorry.

But because you mentioned the wiki .. Step 10) was not working for me. This fact has wondered me.

Linuxnutzer
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 21:07    Post subject: VAP Reply with quote
Sorry if you took that as a harsh response. I am just trying to raise awareness about the wiki.

As for your issue of having a VAP not work. Try updating to the latest build. There was a few bad builds in the 40XXX range, I don't remember them all. Read the build threads, such as this one, for 41468, https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321943

Reset to factory defaults from the GUI and try again after upgrading.

Is the WDS Station connected to another WDS Station, or just clients?
If it is just clients, the VAP can be in AP mode, otherwise use WDS AP mode.

I always put the corresponding MAC addresses for the WDS AP and WDS Station in the ath0 WDS tab, make sure the dropbox next to it is LAN.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
linuxnutzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:45    Post subject: Re: VAP Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Sorry if you took that as a harsh response. I am just trying to raise awareness about the wiki.

Never mind! Maybe I overreacted a little, but I have the feeling, that I read almost the whole internet last weeks Smile

ian5142 wrote:

As for your issue of having a VAP not work. Try updating to the latest build. There was a few bad builds in the 40XXX range, I don't remember them all. Read the build threads, such as this one, for 41468, https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321943

Reset to factory defaults from the GUI and try again after upgrading.

At the moment all is fine. v40559 runs stable at least for my needs. My family will kill me if I do further experiments with the internet. Smile. I have three routers with a lot of settings ...

ian5142 wrote:

Is the WDS Station connected to another WDS Station, or just clients?
If it is just clients, the VAP can be in AP mode, otherwise use WDS AP mode.

I tried to set up following installation:
(router1 (WDS AP)) -> (router 2 (WDS Station) - (WDS VAP)) -> (router3 (WDS Station))
But it did not work, I don't know why.
So after getting hints from tatsuya46 I modified my setup:
(router1 (WDS Station)) -> (router2 (WDS AP)) -> (router3 (WDS Station))
That works fine without need of a WDS VAP.
Yesterday I tried to set up a VAP to router2, that is already the WDS AP. Surprisingly it also works. So the only case that not worked for me was adding a WDS VAP to a WDS station. But as I wrote before, I don't need that anymore.

ian5142 wrote:

I always put the corresponding MAC addresses for the WDS AP and WDS Station in the ath0 WDS tab, make sure the dropbox next to it is LAN.

I did so.

Linuxuser
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 13:00    Post subject: Performance Reply with quote
You should get better internet throughput this way as the original setup the middle router had to repeat the signal on to the last router (The half bandwidth issue).

I forgot to mention that my outlying routers also have the main WDS AP in there MAC list.

Glad you got it working anyway.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: