New Netgear WNDR3300 support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShnikeJSB wrote:

Is this the one you bought?: "AC Adapter Charger for Asus EEE PC 900 901 1000h 12V 3A"

If so, how is the quality? If not, which one did you get that worked? I'm gonna pick up a couple if they really work! Thanks! Very Happy

Incorrect content removed.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 22:07; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ShnikeJSB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I'm not sure this one will work...the center hole is 1.7mm...I think it needs to be 2.1mm.

redhawk

Ah, I have been waiting for someone to let me know what size to get. Thanks! Smile

The problem now, is all I am seeing are 1.7mm and 2.5mm sizes. Does nothing use 2.1mm??? :?

EDIT:

I found some 2.1mm-sized adapters, but they are mostly from questionable sources, or priced kinda high. They are almost all for security cameras.

Has anyone ever bought from a place called SecurityCamera2000.com? The link is to a 12V/4A 2.1mm power adapter for $16 (free shipping). They seem to have a good eBay rating, but no ResellerRatings.com page.

I think I'll jump and see what happens. If things work out, I'll let everyone on here know. Seems like a good deal. Smile

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was wrong....I did some research...it is 2.5mm.

These should work just fine.

http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/5-amp-5a.html

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I was wrong....I did some research...it is 2.5mm.

These should work just fine.

http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/5-amp-5a.html

redhawk

Are you serious??? I just went and bought 3 of the 2.1mm adapters that I linked to!!! :x

I sure hope I can cancel the order still... :?

Thank you for the help, though. I tried to figure it out for myself, and couldn't find anything about the size. I sent an email asking for them to cancel my order since it is still in "Awaiting Fulfillment". That 12VAdapters.com site seems too fishy to me, though. I am going to take dondk's advice and grab a few from the eBay seller. Here is what I am going for: "Power Supply Adapter: Planar PV150 LCD Monitor (12V 5A)"

Here's the specs according to the page:

INPUT: 100-240V 50-60HZ
    OUTPUT:12V-- 5A 60W [LCD]
    DC connector: 5.5x2.5mm
    Dimension: 105*45*30 mm

Hopefully that will work. It was $36.87 shipped for 3 of them. Cool

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShnikeJSB wrote:
Are you serious??? I just went and bought 3 of the 2.1mm adapters that I linked to!!! :x

I sure hope I can cancel the order still... :?

Here's the specs according to the page:

INPUT: 100-240V 50-60HZ
    OUTPUT:12V-- 5A 60W [LCD]
    DC connector: 5.5x2.5mm
    Dimension: 105*45*30 mm

Hopefully that will work. It was $36.87 shipped for 3 of them. Cool

I am sorry...I hope you can cancel it too. I actually found the 12vadapters.com link on this forum as a recommended replacement power brick. (found with a simple search)

I do like the LCD display power brick idea though...as long as the plug is the same...it should work just fine...and the price is certainly right.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I am sorry...I hope you can cancel it too. I actually found the 12vadapters.com link on this forum as a recommended replacement power brick. (found with a simple search)

I do like the LCD display power brick idea though...as long as the plug is the same...it should work just fine...and the price is certainly right.

redhawk

Good news -- they let me cancel my order! Very Happy I'm so glad you came back and posted so quickly with the correct size.

I will report back once I get the eBay power supplies. I hope they let me crank up the power/range on my WNDR3300's! Cool

KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

That's certainly a true statement. This is a great price for a SMPS power brick. I'll never understand why dealers charge over $50 and even over $100 for an inexpensive Chinese-manufactured power supply. I guess people are just foolish enough to pay that much...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump

Quote:

Hi

I am running a WNDR3700 on AP mode (stock firmware) at 5 Ghz at 40 MHz on channels 157 / 161. My WNDR3300 is in client bridge mode (Eko 13000 Std-Nokaid-Nohotspot-Nostor) and shows channel 159 on WL0!! Every time I change the channels on the 3700 AP, the 3300 bridge seems to pick up only a single channel between both the broadcast channels. The system is working nonetheless but not at full speeds.

Why is this? Why doesn't the WNDR3300 pick up and display the exact channels broadcast by the AP (e.g. 157/161). Is this normal behavior?

Why doesn't the WNDR3300 pick up both channels (i.e. 157 / 161) but 159 only instead. This happens also when Wl1 is switched off and the 3300 is in pure client bridge mode. Is this an issue with the communication between the 3700 and the 3300 or is the 3300 simply displaying the wrong channel though it is actually picking up the correct one(s)?

Any thoughts on this from the experts? I would be grateful for some input....
spectrumbx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished setting up my device.

Thanks to all that posted instructions and configuration tips. :)

I used the power supply of an old battery charger, and that worked just fine.
Most battery chargers have a 14-15v and 4-5amp power supply.

I am currently using the device as an AP for now, but I will be replacing my main router with it once I am confident with its stability.

[Update]
Okay, I moved it to main router duty.

I did try to setup WDS with my old buffalo 54g router, but that did not work.
Client bridge mode did work nonetheless.

FYI, I also did have issue with Firefox 3.0.11 and DD-WRT.
Using IE 6 fixed those issues.
ShnikeJSB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, so I decided to pick up a WNDR3700. I just got it up and running, and here's what I got when connected via LAN:

Shocked Wow!

Now, wireless on 2.4GHz:

Wireless on 5GHz:

So far so good! Cool Now, to setup my WNDR3300's as repeaters!

-----------------------------

OK, I can't get the freaking WNDR3300's to see the 5GHz wireless-N signal from the WNDR3700! What is going on here???

Also, when I configure my WNDR3300's according to THIS guide, after I unplug the router (step 10), I can no longer connect to the router via LAN or wireless. Sometimes Windows will give me a weird error message about duplicate IP's or something. Most of the time, windows just sits there saying it is trying to connect to an "Unknown Network" and says it's Public. Happens every time!

If I DON'T unplug the router, and do the settings, it seems to work OK anyways. But the second I disconnect or switch to wireless, I can't anymore. And like I said, despite disabling WL1 and setting WL0 to N-Only and to connect to the 5GHz of my WNDR3700, it only sees the 2.4GHz part of the network under "Site Survey" (step 12). If I set it to NA-Only, I get absolutely NOTHING in he "Site Survey" box...

What am I doing wrong??? HELP!

-----------------------------

OK, I've spent probably 12 hours on getting something to work correctly between the WNDR3700 and WNDR3300. The best I have been able to achieve on SpeedTest.net is ~3 Mbps down and ~3.5 Mbps up. The whole point of me getting the WNDR3700 was so I could broadcast on both frequencies simultaneously (which my DGL-4500 couldn't)! Yet, nothing works correctly... I've tried every freakin' combination of settings and unplugged and reset and refilled about a thousand times!!! I can't take this anymore... WHY does it take a Masters in Computer Science to get a couple of routers working together correctly??? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad :evil:

------------------------------------

I guess what I don't understand, is why I can get 15-21 Mbps down and 3-4 Mbps with a wired connection to my WNDR3300 while it is in Repeater Bridge mode (basically the same as if I were connecting to the WNDR3700 directly via wire OR wireless), yet connecting to the WNDR3300 wirelessly (N and G both) usually gives me ~3 Mbps down and 3.5 mbps up! I've tried ACK timings from 0-4000 and a ton in between, and it doesn't seem to help. What else could be the problem with the wireless repeating? Is it a setting with my Intel 5300 card? A setting in the WNDR3300/DD-WRT? A setting on the WNDR3700? Either way, it takes quite a long time to connect to the WNDR3300 (probably like 30+ seconds). Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by ShnikeJSB on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:28; edited 1 time in total
deboyz1014
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found this power brick on eBay, would this work fine for this router?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Power-Adapter-12-Volt-5-Amp-12V-5A-Supply-LCD-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ350265547515QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518d741afb
dcd693
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShnikeJSB wrote:
OK, I can't get the freaking WNDR3300's to see the 5GHz wireless-N signal from the WNDR3700! What is going on here???

And like I said, despite disabling WL1 and setting WL0 to N-Only and to connect to the 5GHz of my WNDR3700, it only sees the 2.4GHz part of the network under "Site Survey" (step 12). If I set it to NA-Only, I get absolutely NOTHING in he "Site Survey" box...

What am I doing wrong??? HELP!
I feel for you. You're doing nothing wrong. AFAIK, site survey does NOT work for 5Ghz signals, only for 2.4Ghz.

I suggest setting it all up to work in 2.4Ghz mode, changing the RB to 5Ghz (keeping all the other settings the same), then changing the WNDR3700 to 5Ghz. Your RB will now "find" the WNDR3700 on the 5Ghz spectrum. Yeah, I banged my head on that one for a while until I read the forums.

ShnikeJSB wrote:
I guess what I don't understand, is why I can get 15-21 Mbps down and 3-4 Mbps with a wired connection to my WNDR3300 while it is in Repeater Bridge mode (basically the same as if I were connecting to the WNDR3700 directly via wire OR wireless), yet connecting to the WNDR3300 wirelessly (N and G both) usually gives me ~3 Mbps down and 3.5 mbps up! I've tried ACK timings from 0-4000 and a ton in between, and it doesn't seem to help. What else could be the problem with the wireless repeating? Is it a setting with my Intel 5300 card? A setting in the WNDR3300/DD-WRT? A setting on the WNDR3700? Either way, it takes quite a long time to connect to the WNDR3300 (probably like 30+ seconds). Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
What kind of speed test are you using? If you're using one from an ISP, I'm sure your results are at best inconclusive. There are too many variables you can't control with those tests. They are good for measuring Internet speeds only and not the true usable bandwidth being sent between the WNDR3700 and the WNDR3300.

Use iperf http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/ and be sure to specify a TCP window size like 1 Mb. It will run on Macs, Linux and Windows. Here's a link to a tutorial http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php, but basically (a) choose one computer to be the server, one to be the client, (b) on the server type "iperf -s", (c) on the client type "iperf -c [server ip] -w 1 Mb". Replace [server ip] with the ip address of the computer from (b). If you've got firewalls on the computers, you might need to open some ports.
ShnikeJSB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
deboyz1014 wrote:
Found this power brick on eBay, would this work fine for this router?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Power-Adapter-12-Volt-5-Amp-12V-5A-Supply-LCD-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ350265547515QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518d741afb

That's the same exact one I got, except I grabbed it from this guy on eBay instead. It would be a couple bucks cheaper than the one you linked, has a slightly better eBay rating, and I got 3 adapters from him in only a few days. These LCD adapters work perfectly with the WNDR3300.

dcd693 wrote:
I feel for you. You're doing nothing wrong. AFAIK, site survey does NOT work for 5Ghz signals, only for 2.4Ghz.

I suggest setting it all up to work in 2.4Ghz mode, changing the RB to 5Ghz (keeping all the other settings the same), then changing the WNDR3700 to 5Ghz. Your RB will now "find" the WNDR3700 on the 5Ghz spectrum. Yeah, I banged my head on that one for a while until I read the forums.

Hmm, I'll try that and see if it works. Thank you for taking the time to help! I'd NEVER have thought of doing that on my own! Shocked

Is this something DD-WRT developers plan to fix?

dcd693 wrote:
What kind of speed test are you using? If you're using one from an ISP, I'm sure your results are at best inconclusive. There are too many variables you can't control with those tests. They are good for measuring Internet speeds only and not the true usable bandwidth being sent between the WNDR3700 and the WNDR3300.

Use iperf http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/ and be sure to specify a TCP window size like 1 Mb. It will run on Macs, Linux and Windows. Here's a link to a tutorial http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php, but basically (a) choose one computer to be the server, one to be the client, (b) on the server type "iperf -s", (c) on the client type "iperf -c [server ip] -w 1 Mb". Replace [server ip] with the ip address of the computer from (b). If you've got firewalls on the computers, you might need to open some ports.

I used SpeedTest.net. If my Internet connection was slower than the available transfer speed from the routers, I wouldn't mind. But, when doing things wirelessly all around, I get much slower speeds of ~3 Mb/s down/up -- yet when I connect to the WNDR3300 RB's via Ethernet, I get the full speeds of ~21 Mb/s down and ~4 Mb/s down. It doesn't make sense to me at all, as the RB's are still repeating the WNDR3700's signal either way.

I'll try that program, too. Thanks a TON! I appreciate your help immensely! Smile

dcd693
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShnikeJSB wrote:
when doing things wirelessly all around, I get much slower speeds of ~3 Mb/s down/up -- yet when I connect to the WNDR3300 RB's via Ethernet, I get the full speeds of ~21 Mb/s down and ~4 Mb/s down. It doesn't make sense to me at all, as the RB's are still repeating the WNDR3700's signal either way.
The wired connection to the RB showing 21 down and 4 up sounds reasonable given the other results you posted previously. Assuming the WNDR3300 has a good connection to the WNDR3700, it should have enough bandwidth to carry the full speed of your Internet connection.

As to why you're seeing 3/3 down and up, I'd say it's at least because you're using speedtest.net. speedtest.net involves too many variables to be a reliably absolute measure of speed. I think the RB setup is distorting the results. Definitely do some tests with iperf.

It sounds like you're connecting the two routers via the N radio. And at the same time you're connecting to the WNDR3300 radio from a laptop on the N radio. Your total available RB bandwidth will be cut in half right off the bat (don't know if you knew that) because you're using a single radio repeater setup.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32    Post subject: Re: Setting up a WNDR3300 as CB and AP using both radios Reply with quote
nickle101 wrote:

I have the following issues/questions:

1. I never get above 135 MB/s between the WNDR3700 and the WNDR3300, though both should theoretically reach 270 MB/s. I have only tried the 5GHz to date. Any thoughts?

2. Both the NA (WL0: in) and G (WL1: out) signals on the WNDR3300 fluctuate wildly when streaming or transferring large files. I am wondering if this is simply due to WL1 serving as a bottle neck. Any thoughts?

3. Does anybody have any recommendations for the best settings to get this working optimally?

I would be grateful to hear some ideas...
Many thanks...

Reply to 1. You need to enable wide-band 40Mhz (aka channel bonding) on the 5Ghz band to go from 135-150Mbps to 270-300Mbps (Btw, it should be Megabits per sec, not MegaBytes).

To learn how to enable channel bonding, read...

How to get the best possible Wireless-N speeds...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60374

-------------------------------------------------------

Reply to 2. The Netgear WDNR3300 is known to have large dropouts during transfers.
DD-WRT probably cannot fix that problem if it turns out to be a Netgear Radio-hardware quality issue.

See this IMPORTANT review on the WDNR3300 if you have performance issues to set your expectations properly:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30502-cheap-but-not-worth-it-netgear-wndr3300-rangemax-dual-band-wireless-n-router-reviewed?showall=&start=4

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w

Last edited by bbb_forever on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:54; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 73, 74, 75  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 62 of 75
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: