New Netgear WNDR3300 support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Invisiblemoose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
genetix wrote:
Hey guys I just scanned through this thread (well, the more recent pages) and realized that you're all running the 5Ghz radio in NA-mode.. does it not support N-mode only? I guess most of you are aware that running in NA-mode comes at a cost for performance, since the preamble is sent at A-rates instead of N-rates.

No, if you select N-only, it won't let you choose 5ghz... Is the performance decrease significant?
Sponsor
genetix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I don't have any solid numbers, but check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n#Backward_compatibility
Yom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:13    Post subject: So where's Eko? Reply with quote
Noticed he hasn't apparently done any code updates since 8-11-09...

Eko, buddy, we miss you!
idmitriy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:30    Post subject: Bad hardware... Reply with quote
Looks like they gave up on this router. Seems like no matter what firmware you put on it, performance still lacking...

I've tried deferent DD-WRT firmware, deferent power supply. Still speed fluctuates dramatically resulting in poor performance.
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38    Post subject: Re: Bad hardware... Reply with quote
idmitriy wrote:
Looks like they gave up on this router. Seems like no matter what firmware you put on it, performance still lacking...

I've tried deferent DD-WRT firmware, deferent power supply. Still speed fluctuates dramatically resulting in poor performance.

Everything is working exactly as it should if you configure it right.
FarmerBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57    Post subject: Re: Bad hardware... Reply with quote
idmitriy wrote:

How about a different router? Could it be your modem is failing? What about going Transparent Bridging? Like I have mine set up which is working billion fold better than with the latest Netgear firmware. If there is a performance issue that can be attributed to the DD-WRT FW that gets addressed in the next release, that would make my 3300 run like lightening. And if anyone should have fluctuations, it's me and my ever vacillating Qwest DSL. My speed, of which I have to take tests at least twice a day for Qwest for monitoring and things have been steady.

Have you ever tracked Netgear and their FW releases? Their last final was October 29th, 2008, and the Beta for the next release was released on October 30th, 2008 with NO movement since. Or at least before I went DD-WRT a few weeks ago. So being a couple weeks past personal expectations, I feel is a bit impatient. Since this stuff is basically free and a whole lot better than OEM.

OR maybe they've got a really really major cool never to be seen again mondo fantastic update just waiting to be finalized. "It could happen!"
idmitriy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:08    Post subject: Re: Bad hardware... Reply with quote
I have other routers running dd-wrt but only have problem with this particular router. Wireless speed does fluctuates. My G band can drop down to 1Mbps at times and N band to 40-80mbps in close range. I never had a router behaving this bad...

Internet connection!?? I don't have problem with my ISP... What does my ISP has to do with speed problem anyway?

FarmerBob wrote:
idmitriy wrote:

How about a different router? Could it be your modem is failing? What about going Transparent Bridging? Like I have mine set up which is working billion fold better than with the latest Netgear firmware. If there is a performance issue that can be attributed to the DD-WRT FW that gets addressed in the next release, that would make my 3300 run like lightening. And if anyone should have fluctuations, it's me and my ever vacillating Qwest DSL. My speed, of which I have to take tests at least twice a day for Qwest for monitoring and things have been steady.

Have you ever tracked Netgear and their FW releases? Their last final was October 29th, 2008, and the Beta for the next release was released on October 30th, 2008 with NO movement since. Or at least before I went DD-WRT a few weeks ago. So being a couple weeks past personal expectations, I feel is a bit impatient. Since this stuff is basically free and a whole lot better than OEM.

OR maybe they've got a really really major cool never to be seen again mondo fantastic update just waiting to be finalized. "It could happen!"
FarmerBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 17:28    Post subject: Re: Bad hardware... Reply with quote
idmitriy wrote:
Internet connection!?? I don't have problem with my ISP... What does my ISP has to do with speed problem anyway?

Your ISP is where this all starts and is the first place for most any kind of trouble. ISP's are notorious for being the first source of problems, most of the time. They are far from perfect and not 100% all the time. I find it quite amusing that you ask. Any tech support system will eventually direct their attention and ask about your ISP and their QoS history. Ya might want to think about looking in that direction also.
Gingernut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure he is referring to his wireless speeds so his ISP has nothing to do with it.
FarmerBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gingernut wrote:
I'm sure he is referring to his wireless speeds so his ISP has nothing to do with it.

I get remarks for my verbose postings. I'm just trying to make sure that I cover all the bases and make sure that my point is understood. Being short on the particulars in long threads can lead to misunderstandings.

My mistake.

In dealing with QoS I have found that in the 12548 build that having QoS on interferes with traffic between Wireless and Hardwire dynamically. With QoS On a 40Mb file takes 10 minutes to copy from a WiFi device to a hardwired. Off, it only takes seconds. So the instant I turn of QoS speed equalizes across the board and all is fast and furious. There has been a lot of talk that QoS is broken. Could that be part of the problem?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had problems with speeds when the radio#1 and radio#2 are on different wireless channels. As soon as I set both radio's to the same channel...the speeds jump up to 54M and stay there.

Unfortunately, I can only test G speeds.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I have had problems with speeds when the radio#1 and radio#2 are on different wireless channels. As soon as I set both radio's to the same channel...the speeds jump up to 54M and stay there.

Unfortunately, I can only test G speeds.

redhawk

What about having one radio off? I am only using Radio 2 @ G-Only Channel 11. I have been too involved in getting to the bottom of QoS, that I have yet to get to Wireless. Are there any axioms for basic setup? I gather that having both set identically is what you are talk about?

. . . fb
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using mine as a Client Bridge on WL0 and an AP on WL1....essentially making it a True Repeater that doesn't cut the BW in half.

Both WL0 and WL1 are working on Channel 11.

I had WL0 on Channel 11 and WL1 on Channel 6 for awhile...but noticed the Rate was in the 18-24M range all the time. When I asked Eko about it he thinks there is something about this radio and some interference settings for the 2 radio chips...but my testing of the various interference settings did not provide any solution.

But once the WL1 was set to the same channel 11 as WL0 then my rate bounced back to 54M and is very stable.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I am using mine as a Client Bridge on WL0 and an AP on WL1....essentially making it a True Repeater that doesn't cut the BW in half.

Both WL0 and WL1 are working on Channel 11.

I had WL0 on Channel 11 and WL1 on Channel 6 for awhile...but noticed the Rate was in the 18-24M range all the time. When I asked Eko about it he thinks there is something about this radio and some interference settings for the 2 radio chips...but my testing of the various interference settings did not provide any solution.

But once the WL1 was set to the same channel 11 as WL0 then my rate bounced back to 54M and is very stable.

redhawk

I have noticed it and have seen it commented in several places that once you put the radio in several modes other than AP, Client Bridge included, you lose the ability to change the channel. How are you doing this or am I missing something here? Just tried it and no joy. Or does it retain what you set when in AP and just doesn't show it? And under what circumstances does the TX rate get halved? I'm running WL0 disabled and WL1 G-only Ch 11. Won't need N until I get whichever Blu-ray player. The newer full featured ones have built-in N.

Thanks . . .
. . . fb
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
FarmerBob wrote:
I have noticed it and have seen it commented in several places that once you put the radio in several modes other than AP, Client Bridge included, you lose the ability to change the channel. How are you doing this or am I missing something here? Just tried it and no joy. Or does it retain what you set when in AP and just doesn't show it? And under what circumstances does the TX rate get halved? I'm running WL0 disabled and WL1 G-only Ch 11. Won't need N until I get whichever Blu-ray player. The newer full featured ones have built-in N.

Thanks . . .
. . . fb

True....Client and Repeater modes are tied to the connecting host AP unit's channel....so in my case...the CB mode is tied to channel 11 because that is what the Host is set to....but you can still change the second radio's channel if it is in AP mode....AP mode is not tied to any host...so the channel can be changed...I hope that makes sense...if not...I'll try to explain it differently.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: