Asus Rt N12 D1 - SOLUTION

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
videoman87
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just had a interesting experience with this router. I recently got one for a friend and plugged a computer into port 3. Then I flashed dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin via the method above by going into CFE recovery (turn off router, hold in reset with paper clip then turn on and wait until the power light flashes on 5 seconds then off 5 seconds), flashing at 192.168.1.1. Went right in no problem. I reset via WPS button, then flashed dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin through the usual DD-WRT interface.

I then plugged his Ubee cable modem (it is a very simple model, just a modem only no router) into the LAN port 1 (as I understand it, this firmware revers WAN and LAN port 1). And I put the computer back on automatic rather than static IP. Everything seemed fine at first, I had internet with the computer plugged into LAN port 3. Then I tried wireless via WPA2 AES encryption. Devices would connect but no internet. Tried everything. Reset it, reflashed, same problem.

The WAN connection type I left on Automatic since it is a cable connection, and I used that the last time with a different router (which also had DD-WRT but recently died due to hardware failure).

I tried turning off the DHCP server, tried it in forwarding mode. But then the devices wouldn't connect at all. Even the computer didn't have internet on the LAN then.

Tried putting the router on 192.168.100.1 instead as the modem is on .100 but no change.

I worked at this for 5 hours. One reason it took so long as I had to set a static IP to change a setting then switch the computer back to automatic to test.

I have setup around 20 Asus routers with DD-Wrt and never had a problem like this. I finally wondered if the hardware was bad and I flashed the latest Asus firmware back into it, did a factory reset, then went to 192.168.1.1. The router detected the connection, asked for the wireless password/settings and everything was going in less than 2 minutes (perhaps 1)! Everything worked! Both LAN port 3 and wireless!

All still looked good after I rebooted everything.

I don't get it. Any ideas?
Sponsor
videoman87
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
No ideas? Well, a couple of days later he told me his computer wouldn't get on the internet (again on LAN port 3). WIFI was fine though.

I don't get it. I am leaning towards the hardware has a fault as it now has the ASUS firmware back on it. However, before the problem was LAN was fine and wireless/wifi wasn't. Now it is the other way around lol. If it was hardware I would think it would consistent?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so why can't you use the K3.x RT-N12 mega.trx file? The A1 is a 4mb flash, it won't accept a mega build. I didn't know Asus routers would accept a .bin file. This must be an odd case for the D1 specifically or the root cause of problems, I don't know which. And that wiki was 'updated' last year. *scratches head*. The A1 is the only one that is a 4MB flash, the B1, C1, and D1 all have 8mb flash and identical hardware.

EDIT: I thought I saw K2.6 mega.trx files, but I guess my eyes were tired. The rest of the thought was spot on, because the A1 is only a 4mb flash AFAIK from everything I looked up in the wikis and otherwise.

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:24; edited 1 time in total
videoman87
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Ok, so why can't you use the K2.6 or K3.x RT-N12 mega.trx file? The A1 is a 4mb flash, it won't accept a mega build. I didn't know Asus routers would accept a .bin file. This must be an odd case for the D1 specifically or the root cause of problems, I don't know which. And that wiki was 'updated' last year. *scratches head*. The A1 is the only one that is a 4MB flash, the B1, C1, and D1 all have 8mb flash and identical hardware.

I don't know about the K2.6 or K3.x RT-N12 mega.trx file as I didn't try that. I used the files I mentioned as several people had success with them on the D1 (on the previous page posted mid-late last year). And apparently the Asus DO take a .bin file from the CFE Recovery mode. But not directly from the usual routers config html page.

Still, being that there is a problem (but opposite) with the Asus firmware, it is rather strange.

The original method of installing was to use the dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx, then dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin. Later the mega was used (dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin), but that wasn't in the original install method I found (as per https://mitky.com/2014-12-21-how-to-install-dd-wrt-on-the-asus-rt-n12-d1/ but the same instructions are listed on page 1 of this thread as well). Then last year another method with loading it via CFE Recovery via 192.168.1.1 (page 13 in this thread) surfaced. It sounded much easier so I gave it a shot.

It seemed to work except for the wireless issue. I stopped testing as I went back to the Asus firmware thinking that would work for the moment until I could talk with everyone here. But now the wired connection/internet doesn't work when the wireless does. THAT is the part I am really scratching my head about. And it did work when I left.

I originally thought it must have been something wrong I was doing in the DD-wrt config of the router (though I have set up a bunch). Now I am not so sure. I thought I cleared the NVRam before I reinstalled the Asus firmware but I am not certain at the moment, so maybe that is the problem. Though, why did it work at first?

Still, the DD-WRT DID work, at least though the LAN ports, the wireless I could connect to the router but no internet. But that was on the mega not mini.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would definitely try a reset. I wish I had that exact router to experiment with so I could verify some suspicions.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
videoman87,
Read the install-note in this directory --
http://mrjcd.com/junk/dd-wrt/ASUS_RT-N12D1/RTN12D1/dd-wrt_firmware/
The firmware you need for first install is there also.
After you have installed the r25974 twice just as the NOTE says you should be good to use any a k3.x mega.bin

I have two of the RTN12-D1 routers that are now in use 24/7 ... build I'm using is:
DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 mega [03/26/18]
Linux 3.10.108-dd #18336 Mon Mar 26 12:37:55 CEST 2018 mips

I have explained this many many times and it was also in the wiki until someone decided to change it Rolling Eyes
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
AND
you can also see ---

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1094747#1094747

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1094787#1094787
tli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
videoman87 wrote:
... plugged his Ubee cable modem (it is a very simple model, just a modem only no router) into the LAN port 1 (as I understand it, this firmware revers WAN and LAN port 1). And I put the computer back on automatic rather than static IP. Everything seemed fine at first, I had internet with the computer plugged into LAN port 3. ...

... Any ideas?

I've an RT-N12D1 and had it connected to my brother's cable modem for the past few months, which was recently swapped out with an RT-AC66U--both with DD-WRT installed. Anyway, the routers have been working just fine with his cable connection.

Don't know where you got the impression that "this firmware revers WAN and LAN port 1" but I've had the RT-N12D1--and now the RT-AC66U--connected to the cable modem via the router's WAN port. If you've it connected via the router's Port 1, then your network clients (i.e., wired and wireless devices) will be pulling IPs directly from the ISP. Most residential cable ISP connections limit the number of IPs that can be assigned. Thus, if you exceed the number of connections, no Internet regardless of wired or wireless. That's one of the basic reasons for adding your own router so one could share the Internet connection with multiple devices, FYI.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ It would take a while to dig up every post, wiki, and comment about it, but yes, Asus devices have a known issue with port order being reversed in some builds and/or on some devices. Which is why folks would either get pointed to the switched ports wiki or have the commands posted to fix the nvram variables. I still want to know why there is a K3.x mega N12 trx file in the downloads if the A1 version is only a 4MB flash device.
DaBase
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:45    Post subject: Update from 2020 on Asus RT-N12 D1 Reply with quote
Hey all!
I would like to say thanks to everybody who added tutorials here on installing dd-wrt on Asus RT-N12 D1!
I can add my experience on installation till the newest firmware. I spent 2 working days on this and I can share how I managed to install the newest version dd-wrt.v24-42617_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin
I tried three different tutorials and all of them finished with a brick. So I can share, what was the real way of installing dd-wrt and updating to the latest version. I was using Windows 7 for this installation, not sure about newer editions or Linux/MacOS but I think it should work.

1. Set your computer's IP to 192.168.1.2 and plug the ethernet wire between your PC and turned off router's port number 2. You must turn off Wi-Fi since it is messing up all the deal.

2. To install DD-WRT from ASUS (or any other) firmware, using a pin or appropriate device hold reset button in while power on router. There is no use to even try to install the dd-wrt from original web GUI.

3. Wait for slow power light to flash.

4. On Internet Explorer (haven't tried Chrome/Safari/Firefox, but I read it's better to do it with IE) try to access 192.168.1.1 as fast as possible, you should see a window called CFE Firmware Updater, upload dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin. And yes, it is old firmware on purpose.

5. Wait at least 3 full minutes, then power off router. Turn power back on while holding the WPS button (approx 20 seconds).
This will reset its nvram. After fully power up you should be able to access dd-wrt at 192.168.1.1

6. Then finish the setup (write new username and password), after that go to Administration > Firmware Upgrade. Now you must install the dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin. "After flashing, reset to" option leave as it stands, "Don't reset". FYI:There are some issuses with port 4 or WAN port not working until you have done this old DD-WRT mega installation.

7. After it finishes updating, all should be working fine, inluding Wi-Fi and WAN port. But that's not all, now we are going to install the latest firmware - dd-wrt.v24-42617_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin. Repeat point number 6, also pick "Don't reset", just change the file to this one.

I tried K3.x mega's but none of them worked and I ended up on brick. But this one K2.6 works flawlesly, my target was to get OpenVPN running and it works like a charm!
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@DaBase thank you for your input!

I'm going to test an update on my RT N12D1 (working with r42557 mega at the moment).

Will issue results in a few minutes.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 14:41    Post subject: Re: Update from 2020 on Asus RT-N12 D1 Reply with quote
DaBase wrote:
I tried K3.x mega's but none of them worked and I ended up on brick.

I have to say that is just phooy.
maybe you used wrong .bin file Rolling Eyes

use ---> dd-wrt.v24-42617_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

Asus RT-N12B ...will always show in its webif as N12B but it is an N12D1
DD-WRT v3.0-r42617 mega (03/05/20)
Linux 3.10.108-d10 #2784 Thu Mar 5 13:17:43 +04 2020 mips

always use the 'dd-wrt.v24-xxxxxx_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin' to upgrade from DD-WRT to DD-WRT.

AND
everything you posted about first install was more or less same thing I posted years ago and it worked just fine.
My posts about the ASUS RT-N12D1 was linked to in the wiki until some goofus changed it.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 14:56    Post subject: Re: Update from 2020 on Asus RT-N12 D1 Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
everything you posted about first install was more or less same thing I posted years ago and it worked just fine.
My posts about the ASUS RT-N12D1 was linked to in the wiki until some goofus changed it.
Is this the change to which you refer:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Asus_RT-N12&diff=54057&oldid=54051
?

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
As promised my findings with
dd-wrt.v24-42617_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12.trx
also tested
dd-wrt.v24-42617_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12B1.trx
(ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/03-05-2020-r42617/broadcom_K3X/)
Update - no problem
Wireless - no problem
Syslog - clear(ish)
-no brick-

No idea why your device refuses to start with 3.x build :/

@mrjcd:
will power it up again and test .bin file Very Happy, brb...

edit:
done, dd-wrt.v24-42617_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega is also up and running.
also working
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 15:22    Post subject: Re: Update from 2020 on Asus RT-N12 D1 Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
Is this the change to which you refer:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Asus_RT-N12&diff=54057&oldid=54051
?

I really don't look at DD-WRT wiki these days cause it seems worse than it was in many respects Wink

few post up from here is a couple links in my post that I think maybe tells most what is all you need for the RT-N12D1
AND
NO, I ain't never used any silly ASUS restore utility.
There is absolutely NO need for such... just hold the reset button in till get slow bink power and you can TFTP whatever you want to it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: