Asus Rt N12 D1 - SOLUTION

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
zelbinion wrote:
If anyone has an older copy of the update instructions for the RT-12ND1, or if the wiki saves revisions and that's something that could be retrieved, it might be a good idea to list the previous method as an alternate way to install dd-wrt on these routers with the newest firmware.
Every wiki revision is accessible at the bottom of the page, under History. Looks like user 'Vik748' totally wiped out what I had put in from mrjcd's instructions.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Sponsor
zelbinion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Every wiki revision is accessible at the bottom of the page, under History. Looks like user 'Vik748' totally wiped out what I had put in from mrjcd's instructions.

Awesome, thanks... I figured there must be a way to see a history of changes in the wiki, but I guess I didn't scroll down far enough to see the link. I also don't have a login to the wiki (and it seems it isn't easy to get one) so I can't make any changes myself. Might help others to restore the "old" instructions as an alternate method and point out that people have to downgrade the firmware with the recovery utility to use the current instructions. (At least for the D1 models -- I don't have experience with the other versions.)
Rocketboy235
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know what is the latest supported beta version that can run on the ASUS RT-N12 D1 Router? Currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r33215M (08/25/17) recommended by mrjcd. I then did a web upgrade to the latest beta r35681 released on 04/06/2018 (dd-wrt.v24-35681_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin) but encountered some issues.

The temperature status was not being reported anymore and the NVRAM size is confusing (showing 64KB instead of 256KB). Is the correct size 256KB or 64KB?

I did a web flash back to r33215M and everything is working again.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the latest or newer versions and have not encountered any issues yet. Thanks.
Zuikkis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Howdy! Thanks to your tips here, I could install dd-wrt in my RT-N12 D1's.. I have four of them!

I'd like to share my process. None of the instructions in here or in wiki (older or newer) worked directly. Current wiki must be somehow messed up, it looks like copypaste from the first page of this thread, and that's from 2014?

I had Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_8228, which is the most recent. It does not accept custom firmware directly from the GUI, and also I couldn't downgrade from there. So the current wiki instruction doesn't work.

I tried using the older wiki instructions:

For some reason the router did not accept anything with tftp either, so that didn't work. Could be some mistake in my part, although I have used tftp successfully in some other projects. Smile

However, CFE Recovery upload worked, with "dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin" file. After flashing, it seemed to be stuck in bootloop, but "hold WPS"-reset fixed that and it booted nicely to dd-wrt.

I flashed "dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin" directly from there, and it worked fine.

Here's "step by step" instructions, modified from Wiki text..

1. Set a static IP on the computer (e.g. 192.168.1.7) and disable wireless

2. Connect network cable to port 2 or 3, not 1 nor 4, and disconnect other devices.

3. Start with Asus firmware and reset from the OEM GUI. Do not do any more resets after this!

4. Put it into Recovery Mode with the reset/restore button. The power light should flash very slowly.

5. Browse to 192.168.1.1 and using CFE Recovery upload dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

6. After upload wait at least 3 full minutes, then power off the router.

7. Reset via WPS (Power on while holding in the WPS button for 20sec).

8. Access GUI at 192.168.1.1 when booted, and go to the Admin->Firmware Upgrade page

9. (I did not do this!) Install the same build again but from the GUI: dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
    The network ports don't work after the first install. GUI install should have all ports working normally.

10. Go to firmware upgrade page and install dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin
cdavidrigby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 18:03    Post subject: Thanks for the write-up Reply with quote
I web-searched my way to your post after Newegg sent me the daily deals email and it includes a factory refurb of one of these units for $14.

I ordered one and I'll reply again in a few days to let everyone know how I fared with setting up dd-wrt.

Thanks for the write-up!

Cheers,
David
noamparn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 23:26    Post subject: Waiting for my RT-N12 D1 to arrive Reply with quote
*update* After seeing this thread (especially the last comment referring to the refurb routers being so inexpensive), I decided to bite the bullet and spend $30 on two refurb routers.
Well, after spending a few hours this afternoon on the instructions posted by Zuikkis, I was able to get the dd-wrt firmware installed - but I couldn't get the wired LAN ports to work at all. I could connect to the router via Wifi, and I tried re-flashing the firmware a few times, but with no luck. I even used the Asus utility to go back to the factory firmware, and tried to go through the whole thing again. Same result - the LAN ports wouldn't work. I didn't bother with trying to set anything else up to see how the WiFi performance compared to my old router. Without the LAN ports, I wasn't going to be able to use it. So they'll be going back to Newegg for a refund, and I'll keep looking for something affordable that works.
angler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
just that - ports don't work and default Wifi security values didn't apply nor any I may have set in 2.6

beren wrote:
angler wrote:
update: it looks like the K26 builds work fine, K3x builds load but ports are unresponsive and wireless security doesn't clear

What do you mean ports are unresponsive and wireless security doesn't clear? Make sure you clear nvram when you update…

Last edited by angler on Sun Apr 07, 2019 15:47; edited 1 time in total
bheydari
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:55    Post subject: I've Registered to say Thank you! Reply with quote
I've used this method with Asus RT-n12 d1, 3.0.0.4.380_8291 and worked easily Very Happy . Just one point in step 4 for other readers, "Put it into Recovery Mode" means that you must power off router, and Hold the Restore button at the rear panel and simultaneously re-plug thewireless router into the power source. Release the Restore button when thePower LED at the front panel flashes slowly, which indicates that the wirelessrouter is in the rescue mode.[url]1[/url]
Zuikkis wrote:
Howdy! Thanks to your tips here, I could install dd-wrt in my RT-N12 D1's.. I have four of them!

I'd like to share my process. None of the instructions in here or in wiki (older or newer) worked directly. Current wiki must be somehow messed up, it looks like copypaste from the first page of this thread, and that's from 2014?

I had Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_8228, which is the most recent. It does not accept custom firmware directly from the GUI, and also I couldn't downgrade from there. So the current wiki instruction doesn't work.

I tried using the older wiki instructions:

For some reason the router did not accept anything with tftp either, so that didn't work. Could be some mistake in my part, although I have used tftp successfully in some other projects. Smile

However, CFE Recovery upload worked, with "dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin" file. After flashing, it seemed to be stuck in bootloop, but "hold WPS"-reset fixed that and it booted nicely to dd-wrt.

I flashed "dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin" directly from there, and it worked fine.

Here's "step by step" instructions, modified from Wiki text..

1. Set a static IP on the computer (e.g. 192.168.1.7) and disable wireless

2. Connect network cable to port 2 or 3, not 1 nor 4, and disconnect other devices.

3. Start with Asus firmware and reset from the OEM GUI. Do not do any more resets after this!

4. Put it into Recovery Mode with the reset/restore button. The power light should flash very slowly.

5. Browse to 192.168.1.1 and using CFE Recovery upload dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

6. After upload wait at least 3 full minutes, then power off the router.

7. Reset via WPS (Power on while holding in the WPS button for 20sec).

8. Access GUI at 192.168.1.1 when booted, and go to the Admin->Firmware Upgrade page

9. (I did not do this!) Install the same build again but from the GUI: dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
    The network ports don't work after the first install. GUI install should have all ports working normally.

10. Go to firmware upgrade page and install dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/355070/Asus-Rt-N12.html?page=37
dd_user
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was not able to set up on steps above. MINI firmware installed ok. but then MEGA firmware written, but router never booted. Sometimes all leds lamps blinked. and it stuck during boot maybe. Reseting to factory does not work.

So back to original firmware.
sqroot3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:27    Post subject: used wiki instructions successfully; does 30-30-30 work? Reply with quote
I followed the wiki instructions to the T and got dd-wrt running on the first try.

A couple of questions: I'm on 33215. what is the latest stable dd-wrt that everyone is running on this router? I read a post about how r33555 was working well for one forum member.

Also, can you 30-30-30 reset this router? I seem to remember that when I put tomato on another rt n12 d1, I couldn't use that reset pattern. what's the hard reset button sequence for this router?

thanks!
johnpfoley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 22:25    Post subject: Got 36808 working on RT-N12 D1 Reply with quote
To be honest I am not sure the exact sequence that worked (many failures). I was not able to get any of the builds I tried from the K3.x folder to boot (neither via CFE nor UI), but I now have this version working on a D1 revision of the RT-N12

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/08-30-2018-r36808/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-36808_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

The sequence I believe that worked was

1) pin in the reset button and hold until router powers up with CFE in web browser. Set static IP to 192.168.1.2 first and open the browser to 192.168.1.1 before you boot the router. hold the pin in until the CFE web page opens. Clear the nvram and then load the dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin image mentioned elsewhere. This will get your first ddwrt boot.

2) create the vlan's to deal with the flipped around port assignments. I did this via telnet to 192.168.1.1, logging in as root and

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan0ports="0 1 2 3 5"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan1ports="4 5"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram commit
root@DD-WRT:~# reboot

3) don't know if this next step was required or not to make the next upload complete (it was something I tried on the final attempt that was successful. I feared the above step was not active soon enough upon the next firmware upgrade (during many attempts the router would boot but I had trouble connecting) so what I did was enable telnet and the web administration GUI on the wan side (defaults to disabled) so that if I got a partial boot I could connect and configure.

4) used the DD-WRT web administration firmware update gui to upload to above mentioned dd-wrt.v24-36808_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin version. I then got a clean boot with the lan and wireless ports working Obviously I did not reset default settings in the upgrade (which would have undone the settings I changed in step 3) above).

At this point I don't know which was the thing that solved my update problem, whether it was opening the admin access to the wan side or using the v.26 rather than the v3.x recent firmware images, but I had tried it dozens of times before I got it to upgrade beyond the 18774 version and boot correctly.

As an aside, I never got the serial port working, I got a USB to ttl serial dongle and soldered a pin header on but I could neither get any display going in putty, nor figure out if I even had the correct pinouts and serial port speed (I used the same dongle the day before on a tl-wr1043V1 successfully so it's probably not the dongle).
shadowspawn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:50    Post subject: Sorry for Necro Post Reply with quote
I stumbled upon a few of these routers at a sale, and yes, the results are that I have working routers strong enough for secure P2P on a few thousand connections on a tiny device (needs cooling though). I see a lot of VPN tunnels, maybe over a hundred. No complaints as of yet, and this was just a test.

I can contribute this: the power supply and thermal disparity for these routers are probably the reason they die early.

Flashing and downclocking them helps. The only caveat is the actual circuitry takes a beating if not grounded and shielded properly. They need real grounds, true grounds, and real clean power supplies.

When I say real grounding, I mean real grounding. Like make something that will run from the antenna ground to the copper pipe nearby, and the switch to a real 12"x12"x12" proper ground.

Anyhow they are acting only as bridges and handle everything well with custom antennas.

Haven't tried the latest mega yet because these are running IN FRONT OF sonicwall devices. But these are working really well if stress tested with the mini.

ddwrt.png.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.37 KB
 Viewed:  15178 Time(s)

ddwrt.png.jpg

angler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
simply that the LAN ports won't connect. Can see the wireless but neither default nor WPA2 keys work.

beren wrote:
angler wrote:
update: it looks like the K26 builds work fine, K3x builds load but ports are unresponsive and wireless security doesn't clear

What do you mean ports are unresponsive and wireless security doesn't clear? Make sure you clear nvram when you update…
Quartz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
backroger wrote:
I'am curious...is this same as RT-N12HP? or just RT-N12?
The B1/C1/D1 have the same specs as the HP, and there have been a few posts about using DD on the latter, one used B1 f/w & another used C1:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279406
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=261415
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=162718

Was anybody able to flash the recent revisions of RT-N12HP_B1 with DD-WRT? I've tried a couple of versions with Asus Firmware Restoration utility, including the old ones:

dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx
dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1/C1.trx (that was
reported to work here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=261415 and here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=900152)

dd-wrt.v24-32868_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12B1.trx

and recent ones:
dd-wrt.v24-35831_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn.bin
dd-wrt.v24-36698_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin

None of it seems to work. The router does not respond on 192.168.1.1 after the firmware is flashed. My current stock firmware is RT-N12HP_3.0.0.4_380_2943-g7820149.trx .

P.S. Finally, after degrading to older stock firmware, dd-wrt.v24-25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12C1.trx did worked.
truehomie35
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello experts

Can someone assist in configuring RT-N12 ??

Pls check the link

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1167505#1167505
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: