Compiling DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Generic Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
mr.shimpy wrote:
the steps which you would have to know to build something, are highly secret, and the ones who know them will never tell you.

why is that? seems to defeat the purpose of being open source...

Obfuscation by default, so the paranoid god complex can talk down to everyone else like they don't know anything. Maybe if the development environment weren't so ridiculous. Also, for those who may or may not have wondered, I found out that if you chase this rabbit down the hole, you will likely want to use OpenSUSE leap. BUT, the thing is, the publicly-downloadable toolchains file hasn't been updated since last August, so YMMV. IMHO, if the development tree was broken down by manufacturer and architecture and a git repository instead of subversion, it would make things much easier. It would take forever to get things sorted, but it would be worth it. I just don't have the time or inclination to re-download 20+ GB of source code to monkeyf*ck around with it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
mr.shimpy wrote:
the steps which you would have to know to build something, are highly secret, and the ones who know them will never tell you.

Obfuscation by default, so the paranoid god complex can talk down to everyone else like they don't know anything. Maybe if the development environment weren't so ridiculous. Also, for those who may or may not have wondered, I found out that if you chase this rabbit down the hole, you will likely want to use OpenSUSE leap. BUT, the thing is, the publicly-downloadable toolchains file hasn't been updated since last August, so YMMV. IMHO, if the development tree was broken down by manufacturer and architecture and a git repository instead of subversion, it would make things much easier. It would take forever to get things sorted, but it would be worth it. I just don't have the time or inclination to re-download 20+ GB of source code to monkeyf*ck around with it.

is Tomato or open-wrt any easier to compile?

Belkin F7D3302 v1
dd-wrt.v24-16214_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin
OTRW
rkboni
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
mr.shimpy wrote:

I can't speak for Tomato but openwrt seems a downright pleasure to work with. The toolchain build is very smooth (and probably why nobody has packaged up new toolchains, since official builds are using theirs, and that's easy to generate nowadays). Sadly it doesn't support much of my hardware.

Just my $0.02.. I've never bothered building the whole package but am happy at least being able to piecemeal build the extra kernel mods I need.. though it is certainly frustrating!
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the excellent instructions given by @hanskloss on page 14 of this thread and built a standard dd-wrt build for my Asus RT-AC56U. It's essentially a relabelled .config_northstar minus asterisk and snort since the asus trx tool was complaining that the file was too big. BTW, the asus trx tool seems to be missing so I found one online and hacked it to make it work. I also fixed the stop privoxy bug because it has been annoying me for two years.

So far I've only tested asus_rt-ac56u-firmware.trx but the build output directory contains the following files:
Code:
$ ls *.chk *.trx
asus_rt-ac1200gp-firmware.trx  asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx  K3_AC1450.chk     K3_R7000.chk  tnet828.trx           webflash-dir880.trx
asus_rt-ac3100-firmware.trx    asus_rt-ac87u-firmware.trx  K3_R6250.chk      netgear.trx   webflash-dir860.trx   webflash-dir885.trx
asus_rt-ac3200-firmware.trx    asus_rt-ac88u-firmware.trx  K3_R6300V2CH.chk  tnet811.trx   webflash-dir868b.trx  webflash-dir890.trx
asus_rt-ac5300-firmware.trx    asus_rt-n18u-firmware.trx   K3_R6300V2.chk    tnet812.trx   webflash-dir868c.trx  webflash-dir895.trx
asus_rt-ac56u-firmware.trx     buffalo.trx                 K3_R6700.chk      tnet818.trx   webflash-dir868.trx
$

Anyone with one of those routers interested in running their own build you can ask for some tips and I'll share what I know (not much). I used ubuntu 16.04 LTS for building.

localbuild.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.66 KB
 Viewed:  7243 Time(s)

localbuild.png

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice job, I am still struggling to accomplish this Sad

I am trying to compile for my R6400v2 also a Northstar router

I am using Debian 10 and got a lot of errors compiling, but seeing you got it working I will renew my attempts

OpenVPN Server Setup:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318795
Install guide R7800: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614
Wireguard Server setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1183135
Wireguard Client setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324624
Wireguard Advanced setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324787
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Debian 9, Ubuntu 16.04. BS uses OpenSuSE current leap, last I knew. I would like to rebuild a local working copy again and play around with it, too. Not sure if the public toolchains have been updated or not, that could also play a role in things.

yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
@egc

Well BS isn't making it easy so hang in there. Since ubuntu is based on debian the problems you'll run into are probably quite similar to what I encountered.

The .config file must have CONFIG_NVRAM_128K=y to produce a R6400v2 binary. My R6300v2 has 128k nvram but the makefile puts it in the non 128k group.

You can PM me if you're stuck on something, in case I already solved it we can share solutions. Maybe you'll write one of your terrific guides later... Smile

@kernel-panic69

As for toolchains they haven't been updated since 2018-08-09 so add your voices to requesting an update. I initially used an old dd-wrt toolchain then got one from openwrt. This wasn't without issues as I had to compare the new openwrt one to the old dd-wrt one to get things to work.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd share my thoughts, but I might get in trouble. Most of my thoughts can be found if you look deep enough into the public repository.

rkboni
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
@egc

As for toolchains they haven't been updated since 2018-08-09 so add your voices to requesting an update. I initially used an old dd-wrt toolchain then got one from openwrt. This wasn't without issues as I had to compare the new openwrt one to the old dd-wrt one to get things to work.

I'm curious what your fixes were to get things buildjng with the openwrt toolchain. I was mostly interested in building kernel modules so I could rebuild the USB HID kmods so I could keep running apcupsd on my my DDWRT system. The rest of the build was frustrating enough that I punted.

But if starting with the instructions on p. 14 is enough, I'll give that a try.

Cheers!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem with more recent firmware images now is there is no libstdc* to run strings on to figure out which toolchain is required to compile. None of the other library files have anything in them of use that I can find. Yet another hurdle to overcome.

yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I originally built on ubuntu 16.04 LTS just hacking my way through without really documenting my changes. That system has since been upgraded to ubuntu 18.04 LTS. @egc has been working on building for northstar on a recent ubuntu distribution with some assistance from me but didn't finish yet. It's a long frustrating process. If a few people are interested in joining @egc we could all cooperate.

Thanks for the info @kernel-panic69, didn't know the strings trick no longer worked for identifying a build's toolchain.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I probably would opt to do an SVN checkout and make the directory a git repository to document changes with git commits, if you can make it work without subversion complaining. I haven't flashed a more recent BS build on my R7000P to check it, and I didn't check the one R7800 I maintain for my neighbor, but my E4200 I did check and came to that conclusion. I really think it's detrimental to overall cooperation to make it yet that much more difficult to contribute to development or do community builds, but I guess that is by design and the way things must be. Rolling Eyes

I am somewhat interested in collaboration, but we would need a common upstream repo IMHO. I would also think that we would need a common dev platform, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or 18.04 LTS to rule out issues and inconsistencies.

MuzzleVelocity wrote:

@MuzzleVelocity, sorry I didn't see your question until just now. FreshTomato is fairly easy once you get used to git and what you can and can't do without committing changes so things don't break. Which reminds me, I still have to back-track on a back-burner project to import the Advanced Tomato UI to the FreshTomato base.

#allworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboy

rkboni
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
I originally built on ubuntu 16.04 LTS just hacking my way through without really documenting my changes. That system has since been upgraded to ubuntu 18.04 LTS. @egc has been working on building for northstar on a recent ubuntu distribution with some assistance from me but didn't finish yet. It's a long frustrating process. If a few people are interested in joining @egc we could all cooperate.

Thanks for the info @kernel-panic69, didn't know the strings trick no longer worked for identifying a build's toolchain.

See the toolchain thread... /proc/version is still useable for this, no?
rkboni
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:

I'd be interested in working with folks as well. I hate running open source code I can't hack on.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
rkboni wrote:
yoyoma2 wrote:

See the toolchain thread... /proc/version is still useable for this, no?

I'll save you some clicks: (yes, it still works!)

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323278

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1193347#1193347

kernel-panic69 wrote:
rkboni wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The problem with more recent firmware images now is there is no libstdc* to run strings on to figure out which toolchain is required to compile. None of the other library files have anything in them of use that I can find. Yet another hurdle to overcome.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of using the userland binaries for this. I think I got the toolchain info from kernel build info, ie /proc/version

That's probably the only way you're going to now. Thanks for helping me think outside the box.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: