Compiling DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Author Message
MastaG
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I think I copied the .config_ac file to the wrong directory Razz
So I was using the default .config which contains all kinds of crap I don't need hehe.

The only thing that needs to change I guess would be:
The kernel which is pointing to 3.11 instead of 3.10.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 7631

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
MastaG wrote:
.

The only thing that needs to change I guess would be:
The kernel which is pointing to 3.11 instead of 3.10.


The reason for that is that you have checked out a revision after latest published build and there is no guarantee or GPL requirement that you should be able to build it. Brainslayer has most likely experimented with bumping the kernel version to see if it builds correctly and that is a work in progress.
You have to fix such things by yourself when choosing such a revision.

You have anyway completely taken the air out of the sail for those users who claimed that "things" were missing and it is impossible to build a firmware.
You have shown that small quirks are possible to overcome for anyone who has a bit of linux knowledge and can read the error output from make or gcc.

_________________
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
MastaG
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you LOM Smile!

Well it worked!
It took me 20 edits to my workarounds post, but it produced some firmware files:

Code:
Little endian filesystem, data block size 131072, compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments
Filesystem size 18392.97 Kbytes (17.96 Mbytes)
   32.74% of uncompressed filesystem size (56176.38 Kbytes)
Inode table size 17765 bytes (17.35 Kbytes)
   24.97% of uncompressed inode table size (71142 bytes)
Directory table size 19588 bytes (19.13 Kbytes)
   51.20% of uncompressed directory table size (38257 bytes)
Number of duplicate files found 27
Number of inodes 2216
Number of files 1605
Number of fragments 160
Number of symbolic links  352
Number of device nodes 0
Number of fifo nodes 0
Number of socket nodes 0
Number of directories 259
Number of uids 1
   root (0)
Number of gids 0
gzip -c9 mipsel-uclibc/lzma_vmlinus > mipsel-uclibc/lzma_vmlinuz
../../opt/tools/trx -m 32000000 -o mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3-nandboot.trx mipsel-uclibc/lzma_vmlinuz  -a 1024 mipsel-uclibc/rootfs.squashfs
mjn3's trx replacement - v0.81.1
WARNING: maxlen exceeds default maximum!  Beware of overwriting nvram!
./netgear/lzma e  mipsel-uclibc/vmlinux.bin  mipsel-uclibc/vmlinux_netgear.lzma

LZMA 4.32 Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Igor Pavlov  2005-12-09
../../opt/tools/trx -m 32000000 -o mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3_R6300.trx mipsel-uclibc/vmlinux_netgear.lzma  -a 4096 mipsel-uclibc/rootfs.squashfs
mjn3's trx replacement - v0.81.1
WARNING: maxlen exceeds default maximum!  Beware of overwriting nvram!
./netgear/packet -k mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3_R6300.trx -f netgear/emptyfile -b netgear/comp-r6300.txt -ok kernel_image -oall dd-wrt.bin -or rootfs_image -i netgear/ambitCfg-r6300.h && cp dd-wrt.bin.chk mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3_R6300.chk
./netgear/packet -k mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3_R6300.trx -f netgear/emptyfile -b netgear/comp-wndr4500.txt -ok kernel_image -oall dd-wrt.bin -or rootfs_image -i netgear/ambitCfg-wndr4500.h && cp dd-wrt.bin.chk mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500.chk
./netgear/packet -k mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3_R6300.trx -f netgear/emptyfile -b netgear/comp-wndr4500v2.txt -ok kernel_image -oall dd-wrt.bin -or rootfs_image -i netgear/ambitCfg-wndr4500.h && cp dd-wrt.bin.chk mipsel-uclibc/dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500V2.chk


The only thing that scares me is:
WARNING: maxlen exceeds default maximum! Beware of overwriting nvram!

If anyone can tell me it's safe to flash, I'll proceed to test it tonight Very Happy

EDIT: Attached the firmware

EDIT2: Removed attachment, because it causes my AC66U to go into emergency mode :'(


Last edited by MastaG on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:59; edited 1 time in total
mr.shimpy
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 70

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

You have anyway completely taken the air out of the sail for those users who claimed that "things" were missing and it is impossible to build a firmware.
You have shown that small quirks are possible to overcome for anyone who has a bit of linux knowledge and can read the error output from make or gcc.


What this thread shows:
- It's not a straight forward task to build dd-wrt.
- A lot of knowledge about the dd-wrt build system is needed to build it.
- A lot of manual changes and editing is required.

Conclusion:
This build system is of low quality, and only partially automated.
mac913
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 1403
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr.shimpy wrote:
What this thread shows:
- It's not a straight forward task to build dd-wrt.
- A lot of knowledge about the dd-wrt build system is needed to build it.
- A lot of manual changes and editing is required.

Conclusion:
This build system is of low quality, and only partially automated.


It's obvious you will not be able to create your builds on your own. Kong and many other had to figure it out for themselves. I rather have Kong and other ddwrt builders to use their resources on creating builds than training others.

Kong, thanks!!

_________________
Home Network on Telus PureFibre - Wired GigaBit Backbone
2x R7800 - Gateway WiFi 3xVPN - KONGAT 39855M
E3000 - Gateway Wired IPTV - DDWRT r35531 Mega
WHR-HP-G54 - Internal Routing - DDWRT r35531 std-special

______________________
Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & VPN - KONGAC 39855M
WRT610Nv1 - Repeater Bridge - DDWRT r33679 Mega K2.4

__________________________
Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - KONGAC 39855M
4x E3000 - Gateway & 3xWDS Wired IPTV - DDWRT r35531 Mega
E2000 - IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531 Mega

__________________
YAMon 3.4 | Ad-Blocking for DD-WRT | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
MastaG
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
It wasn't hard at all.
Look at my workarounds post, only few modifications are required.
If you follow <Kong>'s instructions and than my steps just before you run his build-script then it will finish without a hitch (that is if you have all the host tools installed).

Some basic linux knowledge is all you need.

I hope someone with a jtag-interface will be able to test my produced firmware and tell me it's good to roll.
Otherwise I'll buy it first in order to be able to recover from a bad flash (in case it bricks:P).
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 12680

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please keep the discussion on topic. This is likely to become a very long thread. It is about compiling dd-wrt. Off topic posts will be deleted.
_________________
SIG:
I'm trying to teach you to fish, not give you a fish. If you just want a fish, wait for a fisherman who hands them out. I'm more of a fishing instructor.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
MastaG wrote:



2. Comment out the pcap-pbf.h in ~DEV/src/router/rflow/process.c as it causes things to be redefined:
Code:
/*#include "pcap-bpf.h"*/




You are right, this is an error I just cleaned rflow after that I had the same error since libpcap_noring was updated which now comes with pcap-bpf.h.

This is exactly the feedback we need, this can happen and unless we do a full clean we might not see this error.
Just committed the fix.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
MastaG wrote:


The only thing that scares me is:
WARNING: maxlen exceeds default maximum! Beware of overwriting nvram!


That's error comes from the fact, that the trx tool still has the limit from old days were 8MB flash was the standard in these routers. Thus you can ignore it.
johnathonm
DD-WRT User


Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 22:22    Post subject: MInt Reply with quote
Has anyone tried on the latest Linux Mint?

Also can this be stickied and wikkied?
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1243

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
MastaG wrote:



2. Comment out the pcap-pbf.h in ~DEV/src/router/rflow/process.c as it causes things to be redefined:
Code:
/*#include "pcap-bpf.h"*/




You are right, this is an error I just cleaned rflow after that I had the same error since libpcap_noring was updated which now comes with pcap-bpf.h.

This is exactly the feedback we need, this can happen and unless we do a full clean we might not see this error.
Just committed the fix.


Kong is correct there was alot of experimenting with different toolchains and kernels prior to 25100. I think this thread is great! and by posting help or questions here we can all learn something.

In my build system I use:

Opensuse12.3 for K2.6 and 13.1 for for K3.x

I used to use ubuntu however ran into libs that were not updated regularly and found many times I was unable to compile certain packages of dd-wrt.

-Fractal
LOM
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 7631

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr.shimpy wrote:
LOM wrote:

You have anyway completely taken the air out of the sail for those users who claimed that "things" were missing and it is impossible to build a firmware.
You have shown that small quirks are possible to overcome for anyone who has a bit of linux knowledge and can read the error output from make or gcc.


What this thread shows:
- It's not a straight forward task to build dd-wrt.
- A lot of knowledge about the dd-wrt build system is needed to build it.
- A lot of manual changes and editing is required.

Conclusion:
This build system is of low quality, and only partially automated.


On the contrary, it shows that your linux knowledge is of low quality and therefore you would not be able to help fixing dd-wrt firmware bugs.
The dd-wrt build system is not difficult to understand, it is only a matter of reading makefiles and scripts and if you can't do that, then you have clearly shown that you are not cut for the more difficult job of fixing dd-wrt bugs.

I've said it before and it will be my last words about it in this thread:
There is no value in having "developers" who can only build the firmware if it involves typing make <return>.

_________________
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
mr.shimpy
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:


On the contrary, it shows that your linux knowledge is of low quality and therefore you would not be able to help fixing dd-wrt firmware bugs.
The dd-wrt build system is not difficult to understand, it is only a matter of reading makefiles and scripts and if you can't do that, then you have clearly shown that you are not cut for the more difficult job of fixing dd-wrt bugs.

I've said it before and it will be my last words about it in this thread:
There is no value in having "developers" who can only build the firmware if it involves typing make <return>.


Knowing linux does not help to understand the dd-wrt build system. If you would know linux, then you would know how easy linux is to build, and if you compare this to the build procedure of dd-wrt, then you understand what I mean when I say that the build system of dd-wrt is of low quality. I would call it a prototype which is far away from a state which could be called finished.

Everybody who reads this thread realizes immediately, that the build procedure is not how it should be. I don't say it can not be figured out, but you have to do some research to be able to build. Because I assumed that the rest of the code is of the same low quality, I was not at all motivated to do this research. Maybe I'm wrong and the rest of the code is much better than the build system, and since there are now some informations available in the thread, I might have a look at it, when I have time.

If you really think I expected that it can be build with just running make, then you did not get me. What I wanted to say was, that, if there is no README, then it must be that easy as just running make.
mr.shimpy
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:
mr.shimpy wrote:
What this thread shows:
- It's not a straight forward task to build dd-wrt.
- A lot of knowledge about the dd-wrt build system is needed to build it.
- A lot of manual changes and editing is required.

Conclusion:
This build system is of low quality, and only partially automated.


It's obvious you will not be able to create your builds on your own. Kong and many other had to figure it out for themselves. I rather have Kong and other ddwrt builders to use their resources on creating builds than training others.

Kong, thanks!!


I do not agree with you. If it's easy to build something, then it's more likely that you get contributions from the community, and that's much better than to have only two developers. I know linux since its 0.* days, and it was always very easy to build it, and it was always well documented how to. The success of linux shows, that that's the way to go.

I just say, that the build system of dd-wrt has to be improved. If everybody always says that everything is wonderful, then there is no progress.
jaceon
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Posts: 37
Location: Indiana, USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Please keep the discussion on topic. This is likely to become a very long thread. It is about compiling dd-wrt. Off topic posts will be deleted.


After all the drama this last few days I second this. Everyone that has been motivated by this to further the developers progress and be a team player, THANK YOU. Everyone who won't let this go, has been motivated to keep the drama alive, or restore there ego..etc.. Enough.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum