LAN issues: Dual DD-WRT routers set up as AP

bwharper78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 14:33    Post subject: LAN issues: Dual DD-WRT routers set up as AP Reply with quote
I am trying to set up a single network over two routers and am having trouble. Current set up is:

DSL Modem > TPLink TL-WDR3500 v1 > Linksys E2500

Both routers are DD-WRT and were set up following the Access Point guide. Hardwired LAN port to LAN port.

TPLink (primary):
Connection Type: PPPoE w/ DSL login settings
Local IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Local DNS: 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server enabled
UPnP enabled
Operating Mode: Gateway

Linksys (secondary):
Connection Type: disabled
IP: 192.168.1.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Local DNS: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server disables
UPnP disabled
Operating Mode: Router

Here is the problem. I have a Roku hardwired to the primary router and a computer hardwired to the secondary router. Both devices can access the internet, but the Roku can not find the computer and the computer can not ping the roku. It gets a Destination host unreachable.

I am missing something in the set up of my LAN. Any advice? BTW... this set up worked fine with the TPLink on stock firmware and only broke when I went to DD-WRT.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's only the switch between them, so I cannot understand why they are not communicating. They both have an address of 192.168.1.x?
bwharper78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did find a workaround, but not exactly a fix. When I connect the Roku to the TPLink wirelessly, it works fine and all computers on the network can see each other.

I wonder if it could be an issue with the physical cable? As I mentioned, the wired setup worked before the the DD-WRT upgrade.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are a lot of bad cables. Especially those that is shipped with the equipment. For a Gigabit connection all 8 wires in the cable must be connected. Cheap cables have only four which is good for a 100base-t interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: