What is a good, basic and inexpensive DD-WRT capable Router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49    Post subject: What is a good, basic and inexpensive DD-WRT capable Router Reply with quote
I am more and more needing to give friends advice about inexpensive routers.
These friends are usually connected via ADSL connections, and need IPv4 routing, WiFi and sometimes USB hard drive connections, for a mini NAS.

For many reasons, I always want these routers to be DD-WRT capable.
Once the router has been established being DD-WRT capable, then price is the most important parameter.

Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited by MrAlvin on Sun Aug 31, 2014 0:56; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just looked at my local (danish) computer and network web price index (edbpriser.dk), and found these three (four) DD-WRT capable routers (min. 32Mb RAM, min. 8Mb Flash) for under dkr 300 (~US$50).

* Linksys E900 (DD-WRT Wiki) no-USB, 4 internal antennas (for MIMO)

* ASUS RT-N10U B(lack) (DD-WRT Wiki) USB, one external antenna

* Linksys E1200v2 (DD-WRT Wiki) no-USB, internal antennas

* ASUS RT-N10U (DD-WRT Wiki) one USB, one external antenna

CPU seems to be the same on all these routers: Broadcom BCM5357 @ 300MHz.

They all have 2.4GHz WiFi (only) and they all have only 100Mbps wired networks.

But as I indicated before, price is important in this particular research, so I live with the basic speed abilities.

It seems that the Linksys units can do max. 300Mbps WiFi (because for the many internal antennas), where the Asus units can only do max. 150Mbps WiFi, because of only one antenna (and thus no MIMO I suppose?)

I already own several of the Asus RT-N10U units, and have been quite happy with their performance and stability (running build 19342)

What do you guys thing about these four routers?

Do you have suggestions for other cheap routers to look into, for this research project?

Last edited by MrAlvin on Sun Aug 31, 2014 0:59; edited 1 time in total
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMO, a E900 or E1200 loaded with build r18946 should be a damn solid router. On the other hand, the ASUS RT-N10U has an external antenna that may be a benefit for range and connectivity. Since most clients rarely have a 2x2 antenna, the ASUS might have an advantage on this one. Plus, you already know what works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: